U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 32,999 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking about moving to SA and have a couple of questions based on some posts I have read before and a request please.
1) Is it true that there are stray dogs everywhere in San Antonio?
2) Has the water contamination problem near Kelly air force base gotten worse . Is there any risk it would reach the main aquifer for the city?
3) If you could choose anywhere to live in SA regardless of the cost and only thinking about best schools and welcoming and diverse community; where would it be?
The request is to please let me know if there is anything you do not like about SA. I have read about all the wonderful things in SA but no city is perfect and would really appreciate it if you can share with me your small gripes about the town.
Thank you so much in advance for all your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:37 AM

34 posts, read 118,336 times
TechieO,

Its great that you are interested in San Antonio!

To answer some of your questions, No there are not stray dogs everywhere in San Antonio. In fact, where I live I have seen one in the almost 5 years I have lived in the neighborhood.

As far as the water contamination, I have not heard much about it in years. Maybe someone else has more information on this they can share.

I researched the schools in San Antonio when I was looking to move and I love where we chose. We are near IH10 West and Boerne Stage Road. The schools are awesome and the people are great!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,643,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieO View Post
2) Has the water contamination problem near Kelly air force base gotten worse . Is there any risk it would reach the main aquifer for the city?
No. There is zero risk as the area that was contaminated is very very far from the aquifer recharge zone.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,520,712 times
Hi Techieo,
We have been in San Antonio since January! We love it. I will answer your questions but am a newcomer myself....

1. Haven't seen a stray dog yet.
2. Haven't heard of contamination since we have been here.
3. Doing our research we found that the NEISD was the school system we wanted to be in. We live up 281. Some people think it is to crowded out this direction, but we love it out here. I am a stay at home mom and I feel very safe where we are. We have met a lot of other couples (late 20's ealry 30's) in this area. We are really enjoying it.
4. We moved from Tennessee and I miss mountains. It is still a little strange to us when it rains here how fast it floods. That would be the only downside, but really it hasn't ever kept us from doing anything. So really it isn't that bad, just different for us.

Its a great family friendly town. In our expereince people have been so friendly and welcoming. It seems that because there is such a military presence here, people really have open arms to newcomers because they themselves were "new" not that long ago. Good luck in making your decision and if you do come, Welcome!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,643,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieO View Post
Also, I need to correct something, it was never water contamination, it was soil contamination and that is currently being fixed. It was isolated to a small area next to the former Kelly Air Force Base which is now Port San Antonio.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 32,999 times
Thanks Everyone for your answers. I do wonder however if there is anything you may dislike about sa? Just Double checking. Thanks again

Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 PM

483 posts, read 1,424,096 times
I wish the city would grow more evenly, instead of just saturating 20 sq. mile areas north and west 1604 with housing and retail before the infrastructure can catch up. I'd rather see everything in a particular area of the city get developed before moving on to a different area, but nobody asked me

Other than that, the only thing I don't like about SA is the dang mosquitoes.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:25 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,288,232 times
mosquito problem is only because it's rained nearly every day really and that's a good/bad thing. good for my electric bill because the temps have been down, bad thing because I haven't been able to wash my cars in over a month and they look awful.

I guess I'm the only one that can't stand the heat here, but I really can't. I'm originally from Michigan and would much rather be there and in the snow..

another bad thing is the lack of any computer stores and computer geeks for that matter. Probably 75% of the population wouldn't even know what WiFi meant and your chances of finding it here are nearly zero. I just had jury duty the other day and they don't even offer it there. I couldn't believe that one, that's the perfect place for it.. I lived in San Diego in the late 90's and that's more my style when it comes to computer places and the amount of geeks you'll run into.

the worst thing here is the drivers. been all over the country and the drivers here are by far the worst. Driving in the left lane for no reason is the rule instead of the exception here, changing lanes without looking is rampant, driving below the speed limit is normal even on a clear day and my most hated of all are the drunk drivers. I did shift work in the military and when I would get off after 10:00 PM it seemed like almost half the people were drunk and I mean swerving all over the place or driving 5 mph drunk. I'll leave it at that because I'm pretty passionate on the topic...

so basically, if I could get my house for the price I got it in my hometown of Ann Arbor, MI I wouldn't even think twice of it. However, I can't even come close to that there and it's probably at least three times more expensive, so that's my major reason for staying here.. it's also very retired military friendly here, that's a big plus also. Good market for finding gov't contractor work also.

at least you got one bad post out of your thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 PM

441 posts, read 791,273 times
Quote:
rd2007-another bad thing is the lack of any computer stores and computer geeks for that matter. Probably 75% of the population wouldn't even know what WiFi meant and your chances of finding it here are nearly zero. I just had jury duty the other day and they don't even offer it there. I couldn't believe that one, that's the perfect place for it.. I lived in San Diego in the late 90's and that's more my style when it comes to computer places and the amount of geeks you'll run into.
The city is working with locally based at&t to make all of downtown wireless.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:16 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,520,712 times
I will second the drivers. I will never understand, all the people I meet are so friendly, yet on the road I am SCARED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will say I think the main thought here is "I have the right of way all the time" and you can see the problems that can create! That being said, I love this city and am learning to deal with the driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio