Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:14 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I usually favor common sense over more and more rules and regulations. But whatever works.

Every single person that I’ve heard saying that, thinks that people should be thrown in jail if certain weed grows in their backyard…
not exactly my definition of common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
GPS units are sometimes misleading, when I was training a driver to take over my routes, He kept using his Tom Tom GPS and I insisted he relied upon Maps, and studying the night before.
Sorry, this is a little off-topic, but this comment reminded me that In England, they had such a problem with trucks hitting low-clearance bridges or getting stuck in narrow-width locations because they were following their GPS units that they have installed signs at those locations specifically warning truck drivers to ignore their GPS directions and follow the directional signs instead.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
For many people, $200 is just pocket change and they would think more about their actions if they had to serve jail time.
Uh...

I wouldn't say $200 is "pocket change" for many people. In this recession, that's a lot of money. Pocket change is more along the lines of $5 or $10.

But your point that they might not take it as seriously if there is just a fine rather than jail time, is definitely agreeable.

Quote:
Jail time = more taxpayer dollars, community service = free labor. Make them clean up crime scenes so they can see what a dead body can look like after being hit by a distracted driver.
Eeek! I wouldn't go that far to say they should clean up crime scenes.

But I do think that community service is much more beneficial to the city in some cases (for the "first" DUI offense) than jail time which just squanders away taxpayer money.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
For many people, $200 is just pocket change and they would think more about their actions if they had to serve jail time.
More people in jail = higher taxes.
I rather make them pay for breaking the law, than give them free room and board payed with taxes.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I have a cell phone, but I only use it for emergencies. I used it once while driving and felt like an idiot, so I never did it again. Texting while driving is unbelievably stupid.
I'm sorry, but if you have only used a cell phone "once while driving" you are so far out of touch it would be hard for you to comment on this issue.

I think this ordinance is nothing more than political grandstanding at its finest. It is unenforceable, unnecessary and useless.

There are 1000's of ways to distract oneself while driving and there are 1000's of activities that one could engage in that might, in a freak sequence of events, endanger an innocent and unrelated third party.

Unfortunately, we cannot protect everyone from themselves nor can we protect everyone from every individual freak hazard that might happen. And, yes, an injury causing by a texting driver that hurts someone OTHER THAN the driver or driver's passengers is a freak accident. Before you go there, if your driver is texting and that makes you uncomfortable, get a different ride. It's your problem, not the government's or the people's.

In the slippery slope world we live in, transportation secretary Lahood was shown on a clip on Fox News this morning suggesting a 100% band on all cell phones with or without handsfree capability across the country as a new federal law. Wow, now we can inconvenience 200 million, reduce productivity all to save the lives of a few hundred people a year. My indifference may sound callous, but saving everyone from everything is not possible. We wouldn't be having this discussion as even internet forums have killed people.

Enough is enough!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
I think this ordinance is nothing more than political grandstanding at its finest. It is unenforceable, unnecessary and useless.
I'll say it again, you can make the exact same argument about marijuana
Spending billions on tax money stopping something that any High School kid can get for free from their friends.

If it's unenforceable, then change the law to make it forceable.
I would change it to:
(1) Anybody seen with a cellphone on the left lane of the highway gets a ticket
(2) Anybody seen on the other lanes with a cell phone on their hand for X seconds gets a ticket.

Here's where I blame the government (existing and previous one)
why don't we have cell phone mounts with microphones that I saw in Korea in 2002 to allow people to talk without holding their cellphones?

Last edited by Dopo; 10-10-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Dopo, that's why I said I prefer community service. Tickets haven't stopped the reckless driving in this city.

xsa210tx, how many times do people break traffic laws before they're finally pulled over? I drove over the speed limit almost everyday for 4 years before I received my first ticket. I don't think $200 every few years when you finally get caught is enough to deter people. Can people get out of these tickets by taking defensive driving or accepting deferred adjudication (probation)? If that's the case, this new law is not going to do much and it still costs the city money to process all of these offenders.

pr57001, mass cell phone use while driving is fairly new and accidents caused by distracted driving have gone up since it started. Getting hit by a distracted driver is not a freak accident because it happens everyday in almost every city. And I highly doubt that productivity has gone up ever since people started using cell phones in their cars, if that were the case, we could've avoided the last two recessions. Any increased productivity from having people work in their cars is offset by people using the internet, playing games on their phone, or texting at work and people being held up in traffic because of an accident. Thousands of people are injured every year by drivers texting. It is mind boggling that you would think you would be so inconvenienced by a complete cell phone ban, that it's not worth saving lives and people from injury. Only a few people have the super multitasking skills that allow them to safely do other things while driving. I don't see why people need to work or hold casual conversations on the phone in their car. Is that seriously such an inconvenience? With your reasoning, we should just allow people to drink and drive because drunk drivers have caused less accidents than distracted drivers.

Last edited by L210; 10-11-2010 at 12:03 AM..

Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,440 times
just thinking out loud, so exuse my naivity, but what happens if I get pulled over under the assumption that I was texting and driving, when all I was doing was dialing a number?

if it gets proven that no texts occured, yet I was pulled over wrongfully....is there anything that can be done? honestly that'd be my biggest pet peave, a waste of my time and a waste of my tax dollars.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 AM

21 posts, read 60,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Driving = vehicle in motion. If you're at a red light with the brake fully engaged, you're stopped. That's not driving. That's being temporarily parked. When you disengage the brake when the light turns green, you're driving again. Do that after putting the phone away and you won't be violating the law against distracted driving.
Sorry that you are misinformed. Whenever you are on the street, behind the wheel of a vehicle, in the flow of traffic, such as at a stop light, stop sign, in traffic....you are driving. If you do not understand this simple point of DRIVING a vehicle maybe you should give it up.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtom View Post
Sorry that you are misinformed. Whenever you are on the street, behind the wheel of a vehicle, in the flow of traffic, such as at a stop light, stop sign, in traffic....you are driving. If you do not understand this simple point of DRIVING a vehicle maybe you should give it up.
I understand it quite well. I've even spent some time with traffic planners and read a few of their trade publications, so I understand things about the big picture aspects of driving that the average person doesn't seem to grasp. We have traffic lights in this city that stay red for 3 minutes at a time. I don't see why I should be prohibited from reading a few text messages while I'm sitting 12 cars back from a red light that won't turn green for another 3 minutes. My vehicle can't move in that situation, with vehicles in front of, beside and behind me. There is literally no action I can take behind the wheel as long as that light is red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio