U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM

432 posts, read 995,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
There should be a ban on all cell phone use while you are operating a vehicle on public roadways. Even if you are stopped at a red light. I don't feel like waiting through two lights because you didn't notice that the light had turned green. The studies have been done and have shown that using a cell phone while driving is as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than driving while over the legal limit of alcohol consumption. Therefor the penalty for driving while talking on the phone should be the same as a DWI. This means car towed, arrested and taken to jail. Huge sums of money for lawyers and fines. The works. It only makes sense. If not then why not repeal the drinking and driving laws to say that it is OK to drink and drive as long as you are not actually making a drink at the time.
My sentiments exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 PM

6,256 posts, read 8,983,551 times
<sigh>

There's a law called "distracted driving" that would cover this. One law....already enacted and ON THE BOOKS. Rather than yet ANOTHER "feel good" law, why don't you just insist they enforce the ones ALREADY on the books?!??

Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM

211 posts, read 425,621 times
How do they prove you are texting? I use my phone for music and as a GPS. If it's being held to your ear then they can say you are talking. Texting much harder to prove.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:34 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,233,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
There should be a ban on all cell phone use while you are operating a vehicle on public roadways. Even if you are stopped at a red light. I don't feel like waiting through two lights because you didn't notice that the light had turned green. The studies have been done and have shown that using a cell phone while driving is as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than driving while over the legal limit of alcohol consumption. Therefor the penalty for driving while talking on the phone should be the same as a DWI. This means car towed, arrested and taken to jail. Huge sums of money for lawyers and fines. The works. It only makes sense. If not then why not repeal the drinking and driving laws to say that it is OK to drink and drive as long as you are not actually making a drink at the time.
I wouldn't compare texting at a stop light to drinking while at a stop light. If you put down your cell phone, you're no longer distracted; if you're drunk, you're drunk. But yeah, there should be a complete ban, even at stop lights. San Antonians are already bad enough when it comes to moving when there's a green light, people now texting at stop lights only holds up people more. The guy who hit me from behind told the cop he was talking on his cell phone and he only walked away with a ticket for driving without a license. The cop didn't even catch the fact he was uninsured. This is total bull!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:27 AM

574 posts, read 1,160,237 times
I'm curious how they will enforce this as well. As OaklandR points out, I also use my cellphone frequently for directions. I may need to type an address in or advance to the next direction by tapping my screen.

Will officers let you go if the don't see a recent text on your text log?

If I needed to look at a hard copy of a map, I assume it takes the same amount of focus off the road as a hand held device. Are paper maps outlawed?

I can go without texting but I rely on my phone for directions.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:57 AM

246 posts, read 358,971 times
Agree that people should drive and only drive, nothing else. Don't see how you enforce a law though.
I also don't understand what can be so important that it can't wait until you get where you are going before responding. Is my life so boring compared to these folks. I sometimes answer a call with my handsfree headset but then pull over to talk. I used to be a pilot and could talk, navigate and fly at the same time but driving is different. I like to give driving my complete attention.
You can't outlaw stupidity. (unless you have a lot of jail space)

Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 AM

897 posts, read 2,613,812 times
We've all seen, almost been hit by or involved in a wreck with a distracted driver. Some of us are even guilty of being distracted drivers. Some of us may think ourselves to be quite capable of 'driving while distracted', when the truth is, we've just been lucky.
I don't like the idea of no cell phone use while driving, but I've seen so many idiots who can't talk and drive that in the interest of safety, I would almost welcome it. I definitely do not agree with texting and driving. If you need to text, get directions from your phone, answer a call, etc. and you don't have the handsfree capability or OnStar, etc., pull over into a parking lot or another safe spot and take care of your business.

Quote:
Dreadlockd I'm curious how they will enforce this as well. As OaklandR points out, I also use my cellphone frequently for directions. I may need to type an address in or advance to the next direction by tapping my screen.
Will officers let you go if the don't see a recent text on your text log?
I believe texting records can be obtained from your wireless provider that would prove that you were texting and driving at a specific time. Your recent text logs are of no value to an officer at the time because you could actually delete it prior to him seeing it. The wireless record can't be deleted. You would get the ticket and then have to appear in court with your cell phone texting records to prove that you were not texting at the time. That's my best guess.

Quote:
DreadlockdIf I needed to look at a hard copy of a map, I assume it takes the same amount of focus off the road as a hand held device. Are paper maps outlawed?
I can go without texting but I rely on my phone for directions.
You may one day have to change the way you look at maps/directions/use your phone, if a ban does take effect. The times we've used a city map to get around, we've been stopped or not driving at the time to look the map over and get a rough idea of where we were going. When using Google or Mapquest, the directions are there for you to read before you get in the car. When using your phone - if you are reading the directions - you still have to take your eyes off the road to see what the directions say and process it in your mind - to me, that is just as distracting as texting.

Quote:
OaklandR How do they prove you are texting? I use my phone for music and as a GPS. If it's being held to your ear then they can say you are talking. Texting much harder to prove.
Again, cell phone records can be subpoenaed, and in the event of a deadly accident, they probably have been.

There was a news report last week regarding teens taking a 'driving while texting' driving course similar to the drinking while driving one. The failure rate was high for these teens and supposedly opened their eyes to see just how distracted they were. The report ended with the comment that adult drivers didn't fare much better.

Check out the stats from TxDot. # 1 cause for crashes last year was failure to control speed (116,658 total crashes, 435 fatal. #2 was driver inattention (89,373 total crashes, 337 of them fatal)

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/crash_statistics/2009_update/20_2009.pdf (broken link)

Texting While Driving Statistics

Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 988 times
Better to offer a solution that people can LIVE with. I operate a company that does just that. People feel that the need to communicate while driving is much more important than what MIGHT happen. even though staistically it is proven that the dangers are very real. Unfortunately people will try to find a way to disobey laws. I'll try to get together a business page for those interested in what we do. PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 PM

52 posts, read 138,071 times
This law exists in Austin and though I like the law and the concept behind it, I don't think it is very effective in stopping people from texting. Most people can do it rather discretely anyways, and I don't want the police pulling me over because I am glancing at my phone!

So I like the law, but I don't think it will be very effective, and the police don't need yet another reason to pull ppl over!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM

522 posts, read 989,815 times
unfortunately, cellphone usage while driving is one of those things everyone (everyone who likes to use cellphones and drive) tends to brush off the danger until something happens to them. i can't count the amount of times i've seen dumb asses clip turns, fail to maintain safe driving speeds, and almost rear end other cars because a cellphone was involved. i won't even get in a car if someone says "it's ok, i can drive and use the cell, it doesn't effect me." wouldn't try those words coming from someone referring to drugs or alcohol, and i won't with cellphones. people barely know how to drive in this city straight and sober as it is.

as for the law, i am for it, but like others am concerned about its effectiveness. i lived in laces that have similar laws which seemed successful. but a law is only effective if you enforce it, and in turn having people respect it. that seems hard to come by around here as is, especially with traffic laws.

but really... driving while texting. it baffles me (though i know it shouldn't) this needs to be a law. it's like making a law about driving with your feet or playing scrabble with a backseat passenger. you just shouldn't do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio