U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,645,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
There's also a "ban" on drunk driving (it's illegal) and that doesn't stop 65% (yeah, pulled out of me rump) of drunks driving every Saturday night.

Great in theory, but you have to ban stupidity, not texting while driving.
Let's make marijuana legal, since the law hasn't stopped a single high school kid from buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:47 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,386,062 times
Lets try this, using your cell phone while driving?

Cancel their car insurance, they are too stupid to drive.

I get a call on my cell while driving? It can wait.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,381,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
How do they prove you are texting? I use my phone for music and as a GPS. If it's being held to your ear then they can say you are talking. Texting much harder to prove.

Not really difficult at all! This can be proven by requesting a detail of the text/call history from the provider (cell phone company).

Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,381,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
We've all seen, almost been hit by or involved in a wreck with a distracted driver. Some of us are even guilty of being distracted drivers. Some of us may think ourselves to be quite capable of 'driving while distracted', when the truth is, we've just been lucky.
I don't like the idea of no cell phone use while driving, but I've seen so many idiots who can't talk and drive that in the interest of safety, I would almost welcome it. I definitely do not agree with texting and driving. If you need to text, get directions from your phone, answer a call, etc. and you don't have the handsfree capability or OnStar, etc., pull over into a parking lot or another safe spot and take care of your business.

I believe texting records can be obtained from your wireless provider that would prove that you were texting and driving at a specific time. Your recent text logs are of no value to an officer at the time because you could actually delete it prior to him seeing it. The wireless record can't be deleted. You would get the ticket and then have to appear in court with your cell phone texting records to prove that you were not texting at the time. That's my best guess.

You may one day have to change the way you look at maps/directions/use your phone, if a ban does take effect. The times we've used a city map to get around, we've been stopped or not driving at the time to look the map over and get a rough idea of where we were going. When using Google or Mapquest, the directions are there for you to read before you get in the car. When using your phone - if you are reading the directions - you still have to take your eyes off the road to see what the directions say and process it in your mind - to me, that is just as distracting as texting.

Again, cell phone records can be subpoenaed, and in the event of a deadly accident, they probably have been.

There was a news report last week regarding teens taking a 'driving while texting' driving course similar to the drinking while driving one. The failure rate was high for these teens and supposedly opened their eyes to see just how distracted they were. The report ended with the comment that adult drivers didn't fare much better.

Check out the stats from TxDot. # 1 cause for crashes last year was failure to control speed (116,658 total crashes, 435 fatal. #2 was driver inattention (89,373 total crashes, 337 of them fatal)

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/crash_statistics/2009_update/20_2009.pdf (broken link)

Texting While Driving Statistics

Very well said Catriona!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 AM

574 posts, read 1,161,330 times
@ Catriona

Okay I got ya...I guess cellphone records would prove pretty reliable. Although you could easily get around that.

They should ban eating in vehicles too. I can't say I myself have seen a fatal accident, but plenty of fender benders, and side swipes.

I would be pretty pissed if I got a ticket for looking at directions though.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 AM

246 posts, read 359,254 times
It looks like if you ban texting you will put us in more danger than before.....

Texting bans may add risk to roads - USATODAY.com

Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,645,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
It looks like if you ban texting you will put us in more danger than before.....

Texting bans may add risk to roads - USATODAY.com
What they say is true,
but if a person is breaking the law (texting while driving) and gets in a wreck, that's their d..... problem.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,998,271 times
The whole thing is that we keep pushing for ever-more specific laws, rather than simply demanding that the ones in place be enforced. Look at the DUI laws - how many times do we see folks arrested for yet another DUI incident!??? My question is always - "Excuse me?? How in the **** were they allowed behind the wheel again in the FIRST place?!??" And then, you find that after the arrest, they get some light sentence - sorry - you get your first DUI, you do NOT want ME on the jury for the SECOND one - period!
THAT is where we should be focussing our angst - on the permissive laws that allow REPEAT offenders to continue putting us at risk. You hammer THEM, a lot of the others will take the hint. ANd if they don't, well then let THEM deal with the consequences, because some folks simply can't learn other than the hard way. All these "designer" laws do is make it LOOK good - because until we actually ENFORCE what's there, it's useless.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,865,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What they say is true,
but if a person is breaking the law (texting while driving) and gets in a wreck, that's their d..... problem.
So this artical is hinting at the angle that we should go ahead and allow texting while driving because trying to do it anyway and hide it is more dangerous? Maybe the only solution is to make a choice of whether we want to ban cell phones or ban driving cars. Either one of those would solve the problem of cell phone use while driving once and for all.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 AM

777 posts, read 1,437,237 times
it wouldn't bother me too much if this law passed, but as long as cops are held to it as well.
i've passed many while they were on their phone, be it talking or looking down at it.

and what about the computer that they have in the passenger seat? i understand it's purpose, but again i've seen them driving with their eyes on the laptop versus on the road.....yeah that's safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio