Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
it wouldn't bother me too much if this law passed, but as long as cops are held to it as well.
i've passed many while they were on their phone, be it talking or looking down at it.

and what about the computer that they have in the passenger seat? i understand it's purpose, but again i've seen them driving with their eyes on the laptop versus on the road.....yeah that's safe.
I have never seen a cop use their phone while driving (talking or texting). I would think there would be a department policy against this. Maybe I am wrong.

I have seen many drive in a way where they shouldn't be on the cell (or laptop)! If a cop is blazing through stoplights trying to get to a crime scene, the last thing I want him doing is texting or talking on the phone in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 12:00 PM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times
I consistently see police officers use their cellphones (talking) while driving. I've asked a cop about it at a Valero, on a gas stop. He seemed bothered that I asked, because I assumed it wouldn't be a good example for the police to talk on their cellphones while driving, but he informed me it wasn't illegal unless otherwise posted...like in school zones.

I can't say I've seen a cop text, but that is something a lot easier to conceal...police and citizens alike.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 PM

218 posts, read 501,382 times
I don't see how text records would prove anything. Every clock would have to be calibrated and synced. How do you prove the exact second you got caught? Maybe you sent a text right after the accident. Maybe you just sent one at the gas station and got in an accident pulling out. I don't see how this would hold up at all.

I'm not for texting while driving, I just think this leads to more stops and more harassment. A big grey area.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
It looks like if you ban texting you will put us in more danger than before.....

Texting bans may add risk to roads - USATODAY.com
Makes sense to me.

Quote:
"Texting bans haven't reduced crashes at all," says Adrian Lund, president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, whose research arm studied the effectiveness of the laws.

<snip>

The Highway Loss group theorizes that drivers try to evade police by lowering their phones when texting, increasing the risk by taking their eyes even further from the road and for a longer time.
So all of that furtive texting will increase "mysterious" accidents, since no one will admit to texting after an accident and all of our auto insurance rates will go up! I hope our city council is paying attention!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
If the only solution is to look the other way then cell phone possession in a vehicle should be outlawed altogether. Use of a cell phone in a vehicle should be met with jail time. It is time to stop coddling these immature people who cannot put their toys away while driving. If you can't keep your hands off of them then they will have to be locked in the trunk or some other inaccessible area.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM

161 posts, read 360,329 times
A lot of folks have mentioned in this thread that cell phone use (not just texting) should be banned. Does this include use when using hands free devices in your mind?

If so, I don't buy the argument. Talking on your cell phone through a hands free, with the cell phone not even in your hand, is no different than having a passenger in your car with you having a conversation. If this use is also too dangerous for your liking, we may as well ban talking in cars, or even take it a step further and ban having multiple people in the car.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I think Ford and some phone company are already coming up with a solution for this. Software and other technology has already been invented to render your phone useless once you go faster than a certain speed.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budjb View Post
A lot of folks have mentioned in this thread that cell phone use (not just texting) should be banned. Does this include use when using hands free devices in your mind?

If so, I don't buy the argument. Talking on your cell phone through a hands free, with the cell phone not even in your hand, is no different than having a passenger in your car with you having a conversation. If this use is also too dangerous for your liking, we may as well ban talking in cars, or even take it a step further and ban having multiple people in the car.
The studies have also said that hand free devices are really no better than regular cell phones. The issue is not whether you can use your hands to drive. Cars are so easy to drive these days that you can literally drive with one finger. The issue is with your mind and where you are placing your attention. For some odd reason when talking on a telephone your mind tends to disengage from driving and concentrates more on the conversation. When you are talking to a person sitting next to you, that person realizes that you are driving and subconsciously adjusts the conversation to fit what ever mode of driving you are in. Such as sitting at a red light as opposed to passing someone on the highway or approaching a crosswalk filled with pedestrians. It's just the way the human mind works. Sorry, hands free is not any better. A cell phone is a great thing to have in the car. Every car should have one. Right next to the bumper jack.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
You can't ban stupidity (unfortunately). You think those that text while drive will stop doing so because it's illegal?

Waste of resources and money, because those stupid enough to do it will continue to. A ticket threat won't stop them. Hopefully when they kill someone it'll only be themselves and not someone innocent.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I don't really understand texting, anyway--at least on a regular basis. Just one more way we've become passive as a society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio