U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,865,504 times

Advertisements

As long as that car is running, occupying space on a public roadway and you are sitting behind the wheel, you are the captain, anything that happens in that vehicle is your responsibility. You are driving. Your responsibilities as a driver don't end when you stop for a red light or when you pick up your cell phone. Don't ask your city coucil rep. They probably are as clueless about driving laws as they are everything else. Call the Texas Department of Public Safety. That's where they administer driving tests. They ought to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,247,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I'll admit that I have never texted on my phone and I'm not sure if my phone is even capable of texting. Having said that, I am not at all texting literate. But it seems like leaving a voice text would be a whole lot like just calling someone and leaving a message. I guess there must be a difference.
True, except it's easier to have a back and forth conversation this way instead of leaving a voice message and I guess people text when they aren't exactly in the position to converse on the phone. Texting allows people to get back to others on their own time. It's kind of like the push to talk services of Nextel and Boost Mobile or using a radio.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:06 AM

114,161 posts, read 54,049,628 times
I'm for banning cell all together!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,980,726 times
Please ban it. I'm scared enough out driving and wondering why some other people are driving strange around me just to find out they are texting. Extremely dangerous.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I'm for banning cell all together!
Agreed! Cell phones are the scourge!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Agreed! Cell phones are the scourge!
Absolutely! After all, we've got the DUI issue WELL under control...

Old 10-02-2010, 03:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,717,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I'll admit that I have never texted on my phone and I'm not sure if my phone is even capable of texting. Having said that, I am not at all texting literate. But it seems like leaving a voice text would be a whole lot like just calling someone and leaving a message. I guess there must be a difference.
Generally when texting, a conversation may be going on....not like leaving a one way voice mail message. One may speak their text message, but the receiving person my "text" back, requiring the driver to take their eyes off the road to read the message. That would basically be the main difference.

We have to realize we have a whole generation of "texters" now....they don't know life before driving without texting. Disabling a "cell phone" over a certain speed isn't fair to those that use it for calls or use it hands free. Maybe they should just disable the "text" feature instead of the entire phone. I have a headset and voice dial to call people if I'm running late or need further directions. And I've also been in my car when I've gotten emergency calls. I do not want my phone disabled if I'm on the highway and my kids call me to let me know they've been in a fender bender or worse. But then I'm not addicted to it....and certainly not addicted to texting like our youngest drivers are. That truly terrifies me.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:24 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,247,872 times
The software would also read the text back.

I think the phone should warn you of a call or even play out voicemail, but you shouldn't be able to take it. I really wouldn't want someone talking on their phone about an emergency while they're driving next to me. If the call is an emergency, one can pull over. The human race has survived thousands of years without cell phones. People should also pull over when asking for directions; you're already lost, so why keep going? As far as headsets, studies have shown the call is just as distracting, but those probably won't be banned.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:41 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,717,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
The software would also read the text back.

I think the phone should warn you of a call or even play out voicemail, but you shouldn't be able to take it. I really wouldn't want someone talking on their phone about an emergency while they're driving next to me. If the call is an emergency, one can pull over. The human race has survived thousands of years without cell phones. People should also pull over when asking for directions; you're already lost, so why keep going? As far as headsets, studies have shown the call is just as distracting, but those probably won't be banned.
Meisha....I understand that you're trying to be proactive. But talking software vs texting would be equivalent to talking on the phone about an emergency. I don't see the difference. I think we're splitting hairs. I don't need to pull over to listen to a call from my kids to tell me they are late or to inform me where they might be. Being lost is different than asking for more clarification as long as my hands are on the wheel. If I had a map in front of me, I would be just as distracted looking at it. Why not ban smoking in cars.....or listening to the radio, or eating or even just talking to a passenger? These are all distractions. I'm not meaning to be sarcastic, just saying that talking "text" messages are no less distracting......and having my hands on the wheel asking for more clear directions with a head set is no different than someone sitting beside me telling me where to go.

Think of the money we'd save if car makers didn't have ashtrays, cigarette lighters, cup holders and even passenger seats??? Ok...I know...that's overreaching....but while "the human race has survived thousands of years without cell phones", that also applies to automobiles. Progress will not stop....we just need to adapt as we learn. Sort of like adding seatbelt laws after they realized millions of lives could be saved with common sense.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:52 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,008,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
I'm curious how they will enforce this as well. As OaklandR points out, I also use my cellphone frequently for directions. I may need to type an address in or advance to the next direction by tapping my screen.

Will officers let you go if the don't see a recent text on your text log?

If I needed to look at a hard copy of a map, I assume it takes the same amount of focus off the road as a hand held device. Are paper maps outlawed?

I can go without texting but I rely on my phone for directions.

dont feel so special that you have to stare at your phone for directions while driving. A very few of us actually pull over and get the route and directions info before moving again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio