U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,631,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Many simply categorize that as mulatto as opposed to mestizo.
Whatever you want to call it (I don't believe in that stuff).

BTW, today while playing basketball, 4 different people that I didn't know called me "Miles Austin".
I guess I look like him, so that gives you an idea of what I look like.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 PM

500 posts, read 612,470 times
I'm a little stuck on the 'kids running wild' portion of the rant. I'm relatively new here, but I haven't really witnessed anything like that. Can the OP (or anyone else) be more specific? And btw, my dd has special needs and tends to want to talk to people in public, and I've found, with one or two exceptions, that people here are very accepting and gracious to her.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM

7,000 posts, read 10,240,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
To be more clear, what's your point with this?
Seems to me like you are mixing the terms "African" and "Black"
I'm not confusing the two. Northern Africa used to be populated by blacks until Arabs and other Caucasians moved in. Sub-Saharan Africans may not identify with them because they basically see them as invaders. Africa is a continent. An American from Africa doesn't have to be called African-American; they can be called Nigerian-American, South African-American, etc. Blacks in America call themselves African American because we know our people are from Africa and that's where it stops. Most of us can't trace our ancestry to a country or two like those who identify themselves as Italian-American, Irish-American, etc.

@LVKim8
I used to work at a customer service center for a utility company. An area was taped off because they were doing some construction there. There were nails and broken pieces of wood all over the place. A mother kept on letting her run toddler into that area and I had to keep on getting up and asking her to get her son. In fact the problem was so bad there with people controlling their kids, they had signs all over the place asking people to control their kids or they would be asked to leave. I've seen signs like that at doctor's offices and other places. Some of my coworkers and I have had the experience where people will say things like, "Look at the cop. He/she is going to get you if you don't act right." Really? You're so inept at disciplining your child that you have to use other people to scare them into acting right?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,899,584 times
The US census also defines those from North Africa as white.

Quote:
White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.
Black or African American persons, percent, 2000 (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_68176.htm - broken link)

As far as whites moving into Northern Africa, well that was some time ago considering Cleopatra was Greek.

Also the "Arabs" in Northern Africa are more or less the indigenous stock to those regions, Berber, or other Semitic stock besides Arabic, for instance, and are "Arabs" along linguistic lines. That is they adopted the culture and language or Arabs but are not Arabs per se. That would be like calling Jamaicans "English" because they speak it and were once part of the UK. So in summary countries that are part of the Arab League are not necessarily descended from peninsular Arabs.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 PM

613 posts, read 1,000,365 times
<I'm black, and if another white or Mexican male calls another black person a "n---a", I'm going to lose it.>

But somehow it's totally fine that blacks call other blacks that? The only reason whites & hispanics started doing it is they were trying to be cool and act 'black'. So don't blame them... blame the blacks who made it 'cool' to say.... years after it was deemed a 'slur' by everyone else.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I'm not confusing the two. Northern Africa used to be populated by blacks until Arabs and other Caucasians moved in. Sub-Saharan Africans may not identify with them because they basically see them as invaders.
Your comment is a misconception that is very common in the US.

People have been mixing in Northern Africa for centuries.
You make it sound as if Arabs and Caucasians came in and kick them out of Northern Africa.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM

Right, most in the US believe, if they even know about, that in Sudan there are black Christians in the South versus Arabs in the North. The Arabs in the North are actually blacks who became Arabized but are not actually Arabs as far as descent (but are in culture now). There has also been mixing for a few millennia now in North Africa. Carthage, the empire who fought with Rome, were actually Semitic Phoenicians. You had Vandals, a Germanic tribe, pour in later as a few more examples.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
So don't blame them... blame the blacks who made it 'cool' to say.... years after it was deemed a 'slur' by everyone else.
Read this
NAACP to hold funeral for 'N' word - USATODAY.com - April 2007

Should be in a museum together with the confederate flag.
But there's too many rappers making millions using it, so it's going to keep on going.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,499,958 times
.....ah.....Oblivious Moralizing.....Endless Intellectualizing.....gotta love it.......

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 PM

I just love the history mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio