U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,565,798 times
Reputation: 1934

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Complaining here about issues that exist in most cities in the US (Racism, bad drivers, anti-homosexual) will not get you anywhere. If you find a place where none of that exists, please do let me know. I will be right behind you!
I've lived a lot of places in my young life, but of the things I complained about, no other city has them as much as San Antonio.

I've never lived anywhere where there are so many kids out of control. I've dealt with bad drivers, but not slow drivers all over the place. I've never witnessed the treatment Blacks get here anywhere else, and I've also never been to a city as large as SA where seemingly everybody is so preoccupied with their pro-ball team (no offense, fans)

 
Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 PM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,631,781 times
Reputation: 12219
Algreen,
if you don't like the radio stations, I recommend you getting XM radio.
They have several stations that I believe you would enjoy.

I have "XM everything" that costs $12/month (pay for the whole year)
but when that's over, I'm going to get the lifetime subscription for I think $400-500.0
I think you might enjoy channels 167, 169 and 98 (OutQ)
XM Channel Lineup

I bought a portable XM radio (Xmp3) that I can listen to at work, in my car and at home.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,663 posts, read 3,077,764 times
Reputation: 1062
Quote:
this is the first place I've lived where the bad seems to outnumber the good.
It is really difficult to deal with the shock when that happens. When I got married and moved to the east coast, I was in that situation too where I found many negatives for the first time and it is very shocking to encounter a lot of negatives all at once. Just see this as a temporary stop to think about what you are looking for and what you are wanting and if you want to move on, that is okay if that is what you decide to do.

Like you I don't really fit in here but I try many different "work-arounds". You eventually may never "fit in" here (like me) but you eventually will want to think of "work arounds". They can include day trips to other cities where you feel like you fit in better, start your own side business, etc you will think of something I am sure.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
 
7,000 posts, read 10,240,778 times
Reputation: 5381
VIA doesn't run efficiently because SA is not built on a grid like many other large cities. SA's roads are not really built on some kind of system which makes it difficult for VIA to serve all areas in a timely manner. The state of Texas officially declared San Antonio as the big city with the worst roads in the state.

I don't even listen to music stations much anymore because they're just bad in general.

I have been called the n-word a few times by female and male Hispanics and I've also gotten the feeling that whites prefer to intermingle more with Hispanics than blacks. I've also learned that in the few areas of town where there is actually a sizable black population, whites and Hispanics tend to be more friendly towards blacks because they're used to living around us. I have never lived in any other city, so I can't really compare. Most of my black friends who've come from other cities in Texas always want to go back home.

I'm not gay, so I cannot comment on your experience in that area. I try not to question other people's experiences when I don't know how it feels to be in their shoes. I have noticed that people tend to be more accepting of lesbians and bisexual women than gay men. The ones who tend to be the most offended by any suggestion that San Antonio is not diverse are usually in the majority and wouldn't know a thing about being in the minority. Instead of taking the time to listen to other people's experiences that they will probably never have, they act like they know more about your life than you do.

I think San Antonio has a mixture of slow drivers, distracted drivers, drunk drivers, and those who speed excessively. Those who drive close to the speed limit, use their turn signals, and don't use their cell phones while driving seem to be in the minority. Again, I haven't done much driving outside of San Antonio so I can't compare. I do know that we often rank near the bottom when studies come out about which cities have the worst and best drivers.

I think people not controlling their kids is more of a generational thing. It is not easy to just up and move. Most of my family lives here and I go to school here. When the conditions are right, I will start checking out other cities; but it will mostly be due to the fact that the job prospects in my field aren't looking too good right now in this city.

I don't see anything wrong with the city supporting its team. You don't have to be a supporter yourself, but San Antonians who do like them have to do all they can to support the Spurs because we don't exactly have the big city-type market that professional teams crave. The demographics here probably couldn't support an NFL team even though we're one of the largest cities in the country. Sports shows tend to ignore the Spurs because hardly anyone outside of SA cares about them. If we want to keep the team, we have to support it.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,565,798 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
VIA doesn't run efficiently because SA is not built on a grid like many other large cities. SA's roads are not really built on some kind of system which makes it difficult for VIA to serve all areas in a timely manner. The state of Texas officially declared San Antonio as the big city with the worst roads in the state.
It's mostly the drivers in my past experiences. Many of them are so incredibly incompetent that it makes no sense. They seem to care about no one's time but their own.

Quote:
I'm not gay, so I cannot comment on your experience in that area. I try not to question other people's experiences when I don't know how it feels to be in their shoes. I have noticed that people tend to be more accepting of lesbians and bisexual women than gay men. The ones who tend to be the most offended by any suggestion that San Antonio is not diverse are usually in the majority and wouldn't know a thing about being in the minority. Instead of taking the time to listen to other people's experiences that they will probably never have, they act like they know more about your life than you do.
Well, I should point out that I never said I was gay, just that I'd noticed the way people talk about/treat gays in this area.

Quote:
I think people not controlling their kids is more of a generational thing.
But the age of the parent doesn't seem to matter, in my experience. I've seen a lot of older parents and/or grandparents just let their children run wild, and it seems as if none of the children here have a bit of discipline. I know this is an issue everywhere, but it seems to be out of control in San Antonio (to the point where I'm dealing with it almost everyday).

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with the city supporting its team. You don't have to be a supporter yourself, but San Antonians who do like them have to do all they can to support the Spurs because we don't exactly have the big city-type market that professional teams crave. The demographics here probably couldn't support an NFL team even though we're one of the largest cities in the country. Sports shows tend to ignore the Spurs because hardly anyone outside of SA cares about them. If we want to keep the team, we have to support it.
There's nothing wrong with supporting and loving your team, but it's something else to obsess over it. It's not an issue where I'm currently employed; but at my old job, forget about any work getting done when there's a game on .
 
Old 01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,899,584 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
everybody is so preoccupied with their pro-ball team (no offense, fans)
Bread and Circuses.

Even with all the issues you have listed which at times make me feel alienated, I seem to elicit enough smiles from smartly dressed people, both male and female, that everything somehow seems OK.

I also can wait til August since everything will be so horridly hot then. Rather enjoying it now.

This year the scientist have also said January 17th will be the saddest day of the year. Hang in there.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,565,798 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Bread and Circuses.

Even with all the issues you have listed which at times make me feel alienated, I seem to elicit enough smiles from smartly dressed people, both male and female, that everything somehow seems OK.

I also can wait til August since everything will be so horridly hot then. Rather enjoying it now.

This year the scientist have also said January 17th will be the saddest day of the year. Hang in there.
What?
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 PM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,899,584 times
Reputation: 1788
You have found reasons to find others intolerable, try to find good in others too, it's not as bad as you think. Didn't you say August could not come soon enough? And perhaps your ranting mood is based on January 17th being the saddest day of the year?

Last edited by Merovee; 01-16-2011 at 11:57 PM..
 
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,565,798 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
You have found reasons to find others intolerable, try to find good in others too, it's not as bad as you think. Didn't you say August could not come soon enough? And perhaps your ranting mood is based on January 17th being the saddest day of the year?
Oh, okay lol....well, I'm not really sad, just a little frustrated. I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow (well, today). It's MLK day and even though it's still wet outside, the weather is supposed to be real nice.

I'm usually the person that tries to search for the good in everyone. People just need to try a little harder to show their good side.

Things could be a lot worse, but they could also be a lot better; which is why I'm looking forward to August. Don't get me wrong, because I'm not the type that walks around everyday with my head hung low. I know how to make the most of my situation, but sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming.
 
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
932 posts, read 1,748,912 times
Reputation: 730
I can sympathize. I have some issues with San Antonio too, though not exactly the same set as you do.

The issue on your list that's also on mine is people keeping their children under control. I've seen out of control children in other cities, but nowhere as flagrantly as some of the experiences I've had here. Maybe I've just been "lucky", I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top