U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,387,674 times

Advertisements

Geez, sorry to hear you don't like it here. Hopefully you'll find another city more to your liking.

As far as the rest of your rant goes...

BTW, don't bother to wave goodbye as you leave the city limits.......

Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,903,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'm usually the person that tries to search for the good in everyone. People just need to try a little harder to show their good side.
Well that you try to search for the good in everyone and don't walk around with your head hung low is telling especially in the way you gracefully handled some of the nastier comments on this thread. Everyone deserves a healthy rant now and then. If some take offense it just might be because they are guilty of something on your list.

Some people could also try a bit more to show their good side. Maybe they are just feeling worse off?

So, I was looking it up and it seems that it might be something of a hoax that Blue Monday, the third Monday of January, is actually the saddest day of the year. It seems that a travel agency and not social scientists were behind this theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(date)

Also forgot to mention, just in case if some did not know, that 'bread and circuses' is the belief that the ancient Roman politicians were able to take everything away from the common people but as long as they provided bread and circuses (games, gladiators, Christians to the lions) that they could keep everyone happy. Maybe the Spurs is all that some have to be happy about?

Bread and circuses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,387,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Also forgot to mention, just in case if some did not know, that 'bread and circuses' is the belief that the ancient Roman politicians were able to take everything away from the common people but as long as they provided bread and circuses (games, gladiators, Christians to the lions) that they could keep everyone happy. Maybe the Spurs is all that some have to be happy about?

I learn something new every day

Thanx M

Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,570,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Geez, sorry to hear you don't like it here. Hopefully you'll find another city more to your liking.

As far as the rest of your rant goes...

BTW, don't bother to wave goodbye as you leave the city limits.......
....unless I want to turn into a pillar of salt.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:53 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,570,686 times
Quote:
Well that you try to search for the good in everyone and don't walk around with your head hung low is telling especially in the way you gracefully handled some of the nastier comments on this thread. Everyone deserves a healthy rant now and then. If some take offense it just might be because they are guilty of something on your list.

Some people could also try a bit more to show their good side. Maybe they are just feeling worse off?

So, I was looking it up and it seems that it might be something of a hoax that Blue Monday, the third Monday of January, is actually the saddest day of the year. It seems that a travel agency and not social scientists were behind this theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(date)

That's definitely something to think about.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,903,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
....unless I want to turn into a pillar of salt.
Lot's wife lol

This thread reminds me of something that happened last month, on Christmas Day too!

Quote:
I had some teenage girl cuss out me and my wife because we were in line and did not move fast enough for her. Ugh, we were in line and following the vehicle directly in front of us.

They pulled up right alongside our vehicle, she was in the backseat of the vehicle she was in, I was in the passenger seat, she then rolled her window down and claimed she would jump out and beat me up, or my wife, I don't really know who she was yelling at other than she was staring at me the whole time.

She called my wife a b, called me the f word, no, not that one, but a slur against homosexuals, and I was like whatever, did not even bother to get angry and sort of just grinned.

Her mother who was driving also called me the f word all while there were smaller children in the same vehicle with them. Not exactly setting a wonderful example.

Really, just because I want to groom myself, desire fashionable clothes, and have hair compared to most of the ball headed thugs that sag, I am an f?

I guess gendered harrassment makes me go ugh (or umm).

And here I thought high school days were far from over.

Quote:
Gendered harassment is a term used to describe any unwanted behavior that acts to assert and police the boundaries of traditional gender norms: heterosexual masculinity and femininity. It is related to, but different from bullying. (Meyer, 2006)
Quote:
Forms of gendered harassment include: (hetero)sexual harassment, homophobic harassment, and harassment for gender non-conformity (or transphobic harassment). I link these three forms of harassment because they are linked to the norm-setting and policing of narrowly defined traditional heterosexual gender roles (Larkin, 1994; Renold, 2002; Smith & Smith, 1998; Stein, 1995)
Quote:
As I investigated this problem further, I learned that although BGLQT youth are commonly targeted for harassment, they are not the only ones suffering due to the homophobic and heteronormative climate of the school. Any student whose behavior is perceived to be different in some way can be isolated and harassed using anti-gay insults, and any student who wishes to establish his/her place in the social pecking order of the school must engage in heterosexualized discussions and behaviors which often include various forms of gendered harassment
Why anti-bullying programs fail to make school safer | Psychology Today
The climate against homosexuals is quite strong here. All throughout school I had to deal with f, q, and s comments (all slurs against homosexuals) just for never quite fitting in, for being less violent and not wanting to fight anyone, and it was worse when I became a skater with long hair that swooped in my face.

By the 10th grade when I switched to wearing reds, polos, and girbaud or guess jeans, with shorter hair, never had any such comments. Grow my hair out again all these years later and bam!

Last edited by Merovee; 01-17-2011 at 01:43 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,500,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
The issue on your list that's also on mine is people keeping their children under control. I've seen out of control children in other cities, but nowhere as flagrantly as some of the experiences I've had here. Maybe I've just been "lucky", I don't know.
I grew-up in this town. I have definitely noticed that it has only compoundingly-worsened as the years passed-on.....

In a crazy way, though, it is almost actually amusing to see people a generation younger than me ranting on such as: "Ugh! This new generation of kids makes me sick!"

Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 AM

945 posts, read 1,580,220 times
One word.....LEAVE!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:32 AM

14,616 posts, read 31,159,617 times
He is leaving. He already said........in August.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:17 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,803,696 times
In before FCF...

BTW no comparison of SA to other cities will come from here (for now at least). I've lived enough places to know that nowhere is perfect and that in going from one place to another just trades one problem for another, although not at a 1:1 ratio and some problems will be more acceptable than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio