U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,160,391 times
Reputation: 400

Advertisements

I think there are perspectives that some people will never understand or won't ever be able to...that is just life. You can TRY to understand by truly listening, and looking at things from a different perspective, but to outright understand may not always be obtained. I'm cool with that, being on both sides of that coin...trying to understand others and trying to be understood.

A woman can TRY and understand what it is to be a man, a man can TRY to understand what it is to be a woman, but regardless of the effort it's not happening, and that is fine...I don't see that as a sexist cop out.

I say the same about race relations. You can never truly understand what it is to be a Black person, or any person of color, but if you TRY to understand in a real and genuine manner, I can respect that. It works both ways, I can never know what it is to be a white person, but I can listen and be open to that perspective. I think it general, since this is an Anglo-centric nation we (non white) have more of a perspective on you than you do of us. You aren't subjected to life from the perspective of Black people, Asians, or Latinos. So insight on other cultures beyond your own has to be sought out, because its not the norm (which yours is).

It's very easy to say, "My black/Latino/Asian/your ethnic group of choice never encounters racism..."

They for one do not speak for the masses. Granted not every black person encounters racism, but to dismiss someone else's experience because "your friend...coworker...family member" does not is silly.

 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
 
1,131 posts, read 1,499,683 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think that's where the problem comes from,
I lived in St. Louis, and you can definetily tell that the exposure makes a difference.
And I think that comes from the fact that TV and Hollywood always portrait black people in a negative way and people have that impression until they actually meet some black people.
After a considerable while of living long enough to finally begin feeling confident about having a Life's-Basis-For-Comparison about some things some years back, I finally felt sure enough to tell some good friends what I empirically-noticed:


"You know what I have noticed? I have noticed, FOR SURE, that S.A.P.D. definitely comes around and starts confronting me; asking me for I.D., asking questions, etc. so much more when I am hanging around talking to Black People than when I am hanging around talking to Latinos or Whites. No sh*t. Seriously. I really noticed that. What do you think about that?"


And they also wholeheartedly-agreed as well. Now: *were* they just humouring me and telling me what they thought that *I* wanted to hear, or what?
 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 48,311,468 times
Reputation: 6957
Did you go to a bad school or something? Were there a lot of thugs or gangster types? Because being called names for being "less violent" doesn't sound like a normal school. What you are describing sounds like a jail. I'm just trying to understand the types of people who are blatantly hateful and homophobic here.

Back when I went to school people used f, q, gay, stupid a**, b___ to describe anyone they didn't like for any particular petty reason. If you were too overweight you were called gay, if you were too nerdy you were gay, too short, too black, too tall, too shy, etc. A lot of people are just incredibly petty and rude but not really homophobic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The climate against homosexuals is quite strong here. All throughout school I had to deal with f, q, and s comments (all slurs against homosexuals) just for never quite fitting in, for being less violent and not wanting to fight anyone, and it was worse when I became a skater with long hair that swooped in my face.

By the 10th grade when I switched to wearing reds, polos, and girbaud or guess jeans, with shorter hair, never had any such comments. Grow my hair out again all these years later and bam!
 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,977,644 times
Reputation: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
I think there are perspectives that some people will never understand or won't ever be able to...that is just life. You can TRY to understand by truly listening, and looking at things from a different perspective, but to outright understand may not always be obtained. I'm cool with that, being on both sides of that coin...trying to understand others and trying to be understood.

A woman can TRY and understand what it is to be a man, a man can TRY to understand what it is to be a woman, but regardless of the effort it's not happening, and that is fine...I don't see that as a sexist cop out.

I say the same about race relations. You can never truly understand what it is to be a Black person, or any person of color, but if you TRY to understand in a real and genuine manner, I can respect that. It works both ways, I can never know what it is to be a white person, but I can listen and be open to that perspective. I think it general, since this is an Anglo-centric nation we (non white) have more of a perspective on you than you do of us. You aren't subjected to life from the perspective of Black people, Asians, or Latinos. So insight on other cultures beyond your own has to be sought out, because its not the norm (which yours is).

It's very easy to say, "My black/Latino/Asian/your ethnic group of choice never encounters racism..."

They for one do not speak for the masses. Granted not every black person encounters racism, but to dismiss someone else's experience because "your friend...coworker...family member" does not is silly.
I do think that someone can understand what another culture goes through, it's just a matter of how they will choose to evaluate and react to it.

I personally believe that we will never be able to rid the world of sexism, racism, or any other prejudices completely, but we can make our own society more fair in it's view.
 
Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Did you go to a bad school or something? Were there a lot of thugs or gangster types?
A lot of gangster types in elementary and middle school here in the 1980's? No.
 
Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,160,391 times
Reputation: 400
@ Lovely...I definitely agree....there will always be some kind of "ism" that exists, and we all should make a conscious effort to address those "isms" as they pertain to us.
 
Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM
 
14 posts, read 32,375 times
Reputation: 10
Well I am white but growing up here I mostly had friends of other ethnics (maybe 1 or 2 white friends) and I never heard any of them call someone a N...r (unless it was someone saying it to his buddy in a joking way). Yes the public transportation is horrible and if we have a better system there would potentially be less obesity in the city. Radio station.....that is why they invented ipod docks and such for the car so you can listen to what you like when you want (I onky like 3 stations but even those play the same stuff every hour). Yes our city is horrible about construction.....we build roads after homes are built and take years to build highway bridges (I10 took much longer and cost way more than it should have cost). To be honest the only Racism I have seen is from older Hispanics on the west, and southside of town but I never let it get to me because I just assume they are uneducated. Remember there are still people who think of SA as an extension of Mexico. I am leaving soon but the only things I have against SA is the heat, lack of sports (only 1 professional team in this big city....really), dirty looking downtown and slum areas around it (sorry fello SA ppl but I always felt this way about our town...I guess I am just use to having at least one area nice looking near downtown) and lack of jobs for ppl who are educated (so many friends have left to get jobs elsewhere). Racism towards gay ppl.....never noticed that kind of racism!
 
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,492 posts, read 7,539,765 times
Reputation: 2338
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Okay, random rant....

Sorry, but this place is so backwards. Never in my life have I witnessed such a universal disdain for homosexuals and Blacks in a "major" city. I'm black, and if another white or Mexican male calls another black person a "n---a", I'm going to lose it. The disgust people have for homosexuals here is despicable. And I'm a southern-raised Christian....so go figure.

Why are most people here slow and/or bad drivers? Why doesn't anyone know how to dress? Why is VIA so unreliable? Why won't they fix West Ave? Why don't people here control their children? Why are there no black radio stations? And why should I give a rat's a-- about the Spurs?

...atleast the food is good.
You're always welcome in Dallas..............
 
Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM
 
Location: SA/Pipe Creek
2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodLu View Post
"You know what I have noticed? I have noticed, FOR SURE, that S.A.P.D. definitely comes around and starts confronting me; asking me for I.D., asking questions, etc. so much more when I am hanging around talking to Black People than when I am hanging around talking to Latinos or Whites. No sh*t. Seriously. I really noticed that. What do you think about that?"
I think that that shouldn't be happening... unless you are hanging out in proximity to Ray Bon drive!
 
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,274,116 times
Reputation: 2852
Ray Bon....holllaaaaa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top