U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM
 
66 posts, read 147,716 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Just bought a hi-def tv and am shopping for service. Currently have Dish Network, but they want $450. for the Hi-def DVR receiver. They will only sell it, not lease it. Any suggestions? Time Warner or AT&T?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 5,160,486 times
Reputation: 1748
Something doesn't sound right. $450 for a high-def receiver? I checked one online retailer, and they list new HD Dish Network 211 receivers for $115.99, shipping included. You might need a new dish, though, if the one you have doesn't get the HD channels.

Even existing customers are usually eligible for free upgrades (with 2-year commitment, of course), or worst case, a nominal fee would be charged. Usually, your choices in a situation like this are to pay full price for owned equipment, and not have the 2-year commitment, or get the leased receiver, new dish, and installation free, with the 2-year commitment.

The only situation where I could envision someone paying $450 for an HD upgrade would be if they don't want to lease, and don't want a service commitment. Most Dish Network and DirecTV customers lease their receivers these days. It's mostly legacy customers with older setups that own their receivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 08:16 AM
 
500 posts, read 796,897 times
Reputation: 397
I owned DirecTV equipment for years. When I wanted to upgrade my TIVO for an HD Tivo, they wanted $300 to LEASE one. Yeah, I wouldn't even own it. Well, I went to Dish and they leased me the HDDVR and another HD receiver, price included in the service which was the same price that DirecTV wanted.

No brainer, I switched. When my Dish contract was up, I just stayed on month to month for a year or so. I recently switched back to DirecTV because Dish wouldn't incent me to stay.

I agree with ged_782. I don't see why anyone would want to own equipment anymore due to the high price and future obsolescence. If you're the type that upgrades your AV equipment from time to time, you're better off leasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 AM
 
81 posts, read 166,638 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMCamper View Post
Just bought a hi-def tv and am shopping for service. Currently have Dish Network, but they want $450. for the Hi-def DVR receiver. They will only sell it, not lease it. Any suggestions? Time Warner or AT&T?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Very easy, If your 2 yr term is up with Dish than switch to DTV, if you wish to stay with Dish just let them know you're switching to the competition unless they upgrade your equipment for free, if they say no and still want to keep Dish then ask a family member to open a new account for you and cancel your existing account. Before you do any of this make sure you are no longer under contract, otherwise it will cost you a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 AM
 
3,141 posts, read 5,160,486 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball View Post
...if they say no and still want to keep Dish then ask a family member to open a new account for you and cancel your existing account.
About the only way you could get away with this is if a household member with a different name & phone number opens an account. They would also need to have a separate credit card account (that doesn't have your name on it) to use as a reference.

When you cancel service with either Dish Network or DirecTV, you have to wait a certain period of time (I think 24 months with DirecTV), before you can be considered a "new" customer again, and be eligible for the normal new-customer promotions in effect at the time you sign up. And yes, both providers will generally offer incentives for existing customers with good payment history and who are past their contract period, when a customer threatens to quit. Of course, any incentives they offer you will likely entail another 2-year contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
583 posts, read 1,005,387 times
Reputation: 412
I have Directv and when my TIVO died and I wanted to upgrade to an additional HD box. I already had two HD DVRS they first wanted to charge me so much money and I was like no way and after talking and talking I did get it free (you get to upgrade a piece of equipment once a year ... I did two that year). I also at that time upgraded to the whole house DVR service. Directv is great with giving customer free stuff. Also, customers get free HD service. There is not the $10 monthly fee anymore. Current customers that may be paying this need to call Directv and tell them you want it for free. They will keep charging you unless you call and tell them you want it removed from your bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Tx
7,649 posts, read 8,094,649 times
Reputation: 9190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
I have Directv and when my TIVO died and I wanted to upgrade to an additional HD box. I already had two HD DVRS they first wanted to charge me so much money and I was like no way and after talking and talking I did get it free (you get to upgrade a piece of equipment once a year ... I did two that year). I also at that time upgraded to the whole house DVR service. Directv is great with giving customer free stuff. Also, customers get free HD service. There is not the $10 monthly fee anymore. Current customers that may be paying this need to call Directv and tell them you want it for free. They will keep charging you unless you call and tell them you want it removed from your bill.
Directv is very upfront about the fact that if you sign up for autopay the $10 HD fee is waived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
 
615 posts, read 1,325,785 times
Reputation: 416
Yeah Directv doesn't make you pay for the receivers anymore. They quit that practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Tx
7,649 posts, read 8,094,649 times
Reputation: 9190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Yeah Directv doesn't make you pay for the receivers anymore. They quit that practice.
Yeah they do. You pay either $99 (HD receiver) or $199 (HD-DVR) for the receiver and then $5/mo lease fee. Many times you can worm your way into free receivers (I got 2 free to add to my existing 2) but as a rule they charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM
 
615 posts, read 1,325,785 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Yeah they do. You pay either $99 (HD receiver) or $199 (HD-DVR) for the receiver and then $5/mo lease fee. Many times you can worm your way into free receivers (I got 2 free to add to my existing 2) but as a rule they charge.
I'm not sure why you say that, because we simply signed up online and got all of our services without any surcharge. We only pay one lease fee, and that's for our 2nd HD DVR. It didn't take any "worming" to get that, just a few clicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top