U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM

610 posts, read 854,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
This is a different kind of mexican food, believe me. I don't think that they would come here though for the same reason that Baja Fresh bailed out on Texas. I loved BF, but they were only avbl in Austin and Dallas, and left both
People here like greasy, unhealthy food. Just look around you. Rubios is also VERY skimpy on their portions. They will literally give you a spoonful of rice or beans. that definitely would not fly over here.
You're probably right . The food is delicious though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 PM

944 posts, read 1,578,445 times
They don't all taste the same...not by any stretch and Chuy's? Seriously? LOL. I'm tired of people here making BS (hasty) generalizations about the people, the food or the city.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,273,236 times
Hey, Sailorgirl2007, I would give it a try if it were located here. I just did not see any prices posted. I am sure it is decent food.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
They need to bring back PoFolks.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:29 PM

19 posts, read 33,354 times
Frozen pre-grilled chicken put into frozen and re-heated taco shells with mass-produced preservative filled sauces. Delicious.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,055,120 times
I'd rather get Carmelo's or a Trulucks.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM

610 posts, read 854,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
They don't all taste the same...not by any stretch and Chuy's? Seriously? LOL. I'm tired of people here making BS (hasty) generalizations about the people, the food or the city.
Slow your roll Blizzrd and take a chill pill . . . Its MLK Day! I love the people and the city here, just not a big fan of the Mexican food. I was raised on California Mexican food is all. Surely lots of people prefer the types of food of where they grew up.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM

100 posts, read 170,868 times
I just filled out the request form - We are moving to SA (from California) and would love to have Rubios come with us. It is not your typical fast food Mexican restaurant - they started in San Diego with fish tacos and moved on from there. We eat at ours a couple of times a month - prices are similar to Taco Cabana, for reference. (And they grill everything at the site.)

Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 AM

34,910 posts, read 31,952,177 times
Not that long ago the original shop in SD split into others. You used to get MONSTER fish burritos for cheap. Within a few years the stores expanded, the prices doubled and the portions shrunk to half. It's still good eats but not the tremendous bargain that built their reputation. I miss just having that first Rubios with the big portions and cheap prices. SIGH

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 761 times
Default OMG I miss Rubio's

I have to agree with Sailorgirl2007 that the mexican food in Texas is definately different than California. Rubio's has the best fish taco's and the best shrimp burritos. We have a Chuy's in Southern Cali and I have to say it's a whole lot better than the one here.

SailorGirl, have you had Los Roberto's on 410/Ingram or the one on 281/Bitters? The owners are from Chula Vista and then menu is the Roberto's menu AND if you want a beef taco, it's NOT ground beef!!!! If you haven't been there, it's worth the drive over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
No offense against "TexMex," but the Mexican food is definitely different than California Mexican food.

And Primo, yes there is an abundance of Mexican restaurants here, but other than Chuy's, unfortunately they all taste the same.

I didn't mean to get a debate going about Mexican restaurants, just thinking about those who are familiar with Rubios menu . . . which by the way is not greasy like Taco Cabana or Taco Bell. Its a fast food restaurant, but with a little more quality (and just a little more expensive than typical fast food joints).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio