U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,779 times

Advertisements

I am moving to San Antonio in the next few months and am looking to buy a home. I will be looking for a 3/2 under $110,000. From what I have seen, Converse, TX seems to fit the bill. I will be stationed at FT Sam. My fiance will (hopefully) be transferring her job with the VA as well. I am wondering if Converse is my best bet for our budget, or if anyone can recommend other areas. What are the best streets/neighborhoods, etc? I will be heading out to check out the area next month and would like to have a plan when I arrive. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,282,526 times
i would plan to rent in the area you are looking to live. Then you can make up your mind on the best area and best streets. Converse is a good area. But if your significant other is working for the VA, it is on the other side of the city.
Maybe plan to rent and get a lay of the land, then buy and decide for yourself. You will get many opinions here and they are all right. maybe not right for you, but right.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM

288 posts, read 831,547 times
I would rent as well! San Antonio is so different from one zone to the other that you might decide a further commute is worth it, a higher home price might be better, etc. etc. I would want to buy just like you, but I completely recommend renting. San Antonio is a try and see type of place!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 PM

574 posts, read 1,164,484 times
Definitely rent first, we did and we are grateful we decided to take that route.

Most of our realtors tried steering us to NW, and we did not like that area one bit. It took us a year to settle in on the home we purchased.

Good luck whatever your decision.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,169,739 times
While renting is a good suggestions, when we PCS'd here we loathed the thought of moving again after a year; so we decided we were going to buy right off the bat. That can be done with the right realtor, and I can suggest on who has helped a lot of military personnel who have come to SA; but I will be honest and say that your price range will severely limit you when it comes to areas that are nice and convenient to Ft Sam and the VA Center (you do mean Audey Murphy, right? As there are VA offices all over SA, to include on Ft Sam. If your fiance can work at one of those offices, it would be easier to find a place). Not saying it can't be done, it'll just be tough depending on what you absolutely need and what you desire in a home.

Good luck with your move, hopefully you'll love SA as much as we do!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 AM

177 posts, read 318,095 times
I don't care how good the realtor is or what your price range is, having a few days to purchase a house is not enough. Take the advice of most and rent for a year. That's how long it takes you to really explore and find your way around; San Antonio is very spread out.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 AM

993 posts, read 2,194,727 times
I think Converse overall is deteriorating. Lots of military live there, and are not there for an extended amount of time, and leave and then bad neighbors move in.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,447,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabart47 View Post
I don't care how good the realtor is or what your price range is, having a few days to purchase a house is not enough. Take the advice of most and rent for a year. That's how long it takes you to really explore and find your way around; San Antonio is very spread out.
No matter how good the realtor is, renting for the first year is good advice so I agree with stabart on this one. It will give you more time to get the feel of each neighborhood and talk to people that live there.

I know I am going to get burned for this but realtors may know the market #'s well, but they don't always know the specifics to each neighborhood. They are paid to sell a house to the buyer. What happens is that sometimes misleading information is given out to the buyer or the buyer does not ask enough questions.

When I bought my house, I did not use a realtor to locate one because I didn't want someone trying to tell me what the right house is for me. Only I can make that decision and I am glad I went this route.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 AM

6,276 posts, read 9,041,414 times
Got to agree w/several others here - I'd never move to a new community and buy immediately. Way too many variables, IMO. Too easy to miss things that could be crucial to your long-term satisfaction.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,478,368 times
I'd also recommend renting first before buying.
Also, your home price is doable. Is $110k maximum price or just your own benchmark? I ask because we bought for $108k even though we qualified for $175k. Why we could qualify for that max was beyond me so keep to your budget since you are the one that knows your budget better than anyone else.
There were some homes we saw that needed a lot of work and some that were ok so always get a good home inspector. I can recommend you one when that time comes. He is awesome, thorough and reasonably priced. Cannot go wrong with a home inspection. We had 3 homes inspected until the last one we decided on.
There are homes available out there under $110k that are in good shape, it will just take a while to find something that does need work but something that is not a money pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio