U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM

31 posts, read 63,406 times

Advertisements

Ok so my friends and I are trying to settle this question. I don't know if this has been asked before. We're wondering if it is legal to turn left on red at the intersection going northbound? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,277,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkernights View Post
Ok so my friends and I are trying to settle this question. I don't know if this has been asked before. We're wondering if it is legal to turn left on red at the intersection going northbound? Thanks for any help!

NO. Not at all.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,345,946 times
Most people in this town have never heard of a left turn from a one-way to another one-way on red, but it is legal. They'll usually honk at you like you just tried to kill someone, though..
the irony is that most will accept drunk drivers that actually are trying to kill people. Go figure..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,440,485 times
Unless I'm not comprehending something right in the statutes (http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...pdf/TN.544.pdf), it is legal:

(d)An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may:
(1)turn right; or
(2)turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 PM

31 posts, read 63,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Most people in this town have never heard of a left turn from a one-way to another one-way on red, but it is legal. They'll usually honk at you like you just tried to kill someone, though..
the irony is that most will accept drunk drivers that actually are trying to kill people. Go figure..
Yeah I'm just wanting to know of our curiosity because a couple of those lights are one-way to one-way. Just feels different because it's not downtown on the small streets.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,916,409 times
Quote:
If there is not a "no left on red" or some other similar sign then yes you can.

Quote:
You may also turn left if both streets are one way unless prohibited by law.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ments/DL-7.pdf

Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,277,834 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm just wanting to know of our curiosity because a couple of those lights are one-way to one-way. Just feels different because it's not downtown on the small streets.

I would not personally do it because it is at the freeway interchange and not a one way to one way street intersection like in downtown. I bet you would probably get a ticket if you did it at that particular intersection. That was why I posted no earlier. I do not think that particular intersection is technically considered an intersection like a one way street at a one way street. Be careful if you do it. I am just not advocating it though.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM

It is going to be legal there too, there is no law saying you cannot, the only thing you have to do in this circumstance (turning left on a red if both streets are one way) to turn left is to be sure you are on the very left lane already before turning and then once you turn you can only enter the far left lane as well.

Quote:
The exception is if you're turning left from a one-way street onto another one-way street; in that case, you must turn into the left lane.
http://www.texashighwayman.com/laws.shtml

Old 01-20-2011, 12:26 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,345,946 times
Then I'll be that person behind you honking because you're not doing something that is legal and also assists the flow of traffic... and I'm pretty sure that whole square is nothing but one-way to one-way, so it's legal on all four lights.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Honking at someone for this won't make a whit of difference. No one is compelled to turn left on a red if both streets are one way. Most do not even know you can make this turn and would have no idea why someone was honking to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio