U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,325,579 times

Advertisements

Ohhh... I also wanted to add, it really doesn't matter what the recruiters say about the jobs. They are just trying to get your son to MEPS. Once your son takes the ASVAB at MEPS, the MEPS job personnel will work one on one to assist in picking a job.

Make sure he pushes for what HE wants, not what the Navy wants. Make sure the job classification is on the contract he signs.

The Navy tried to pull a fast one on me, when I specifically asked for the "FT" Rate. I was initially put into a pool called "SECF" Submarine Electronics Computer Something. They tried to turn me into a radioman, but fortunately my contract had me put down as specifically as an FT.

Then again, I got a 92 on the ASVAB and had a bit more negotiating room. It's not a brag, as there were lots of people in boot w/ me with 99's, lol.

I felt so bad for a kid at MEPS who was crying because he failed the ASVAB. He was moping outside the Coast Guard office when a Marine recruiter walked by and asked him what was wrong. He told him he failed the ASVAB and the Coast Guard didn't want him, and he was waiting for a ride back to his town (we were in rural TN). The Marine asked him what his score was, and he said "I got a 13..." and the Marine looked at him and said "Son, we can't even help you, you're too dumb to even hold a gun."

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM

615 posts, read 1,325,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Oh - one other key thing. Make SURE that the enlistment contract SPECIFICALLY states that they are guaranteed a specific training school. This way, if for some reason he doesn't get that school, HE has the option of getting discharged, rather than shoved into some program he's not interested in. That's VERY important - SPECIFIC school!!!
Yeah, if you're a Nuke and you fail 2 tests during school you're dropped and sent back to the fleet in a very VERY undesireable skill.

Most nukes are sent to the Submarine fleet as Torpedomen or Machinest Mates (we called them knuckle draggers on the boat).

Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,985,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Most nukes are sent to the Submarine fleet as Torpedomen or Machinest Mates (we called them knuckle draggers on the boat).
Well, those of us intelligent enough ta stay outta the nukes called ya'll "glow-worms"!!!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,154 times
Growing up in a military family (Army), I have profound respect for your son and anyone that chooses to serve. It doesn't sound like it's what you wanted for him, but it's something that he'll remember forever and will provide him with tremendous opportunity. Especially if he goes career. My father did his 20 and "retired" at 42. From there he had his military retirement and benefits, and has been working in the private sector for an additional 20 years. It seems like forever ago that he got his full retirement and it's provided him the opportunities to do what he loves for a living now (very similar to what he was doing in the military), but also the financial freedom to be able to enjoy life with my mother. They're constantly taking trips, eating out, remodeling the house, etc.

Plus we got to see the world on someone else's dime. The discipline he learned in the military made him successful in other areas of life and work and it's something I'm thankful for every day. When I look back at my life this far, though I make a very good living, the one thing I regret is not serving. There's a lot of personal pride that he should take from his decision and I'm sure you'll be incredibly proud of him, regardless of his decision.

From what you say he sounds like a very bright and driven young man, so trust his decisions. This may be the best one he ever made.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:45 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,333,904 times
If he's got a degree he definitely should look at getting a commission. The benefits and opportunities are much better as an officer than enlisted.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
San Antonio IS a military town. Don't know if you have ever visited.
"Military town" might be an understatement. San Antonio is Military City USA.

There are many San Antonio based members with connections to the military, so a topic like this can be local. The thread would likely get more replies from a broader cross-section of folks in the Military forum, but in some cases a local perspective can be desirable. If Huckster would like to have the thread moved to that forum, send me or Beretta a DM.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,174,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
This really ought to be in the military forum, by the way.
and you should be back in the Indiana forums.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:07 PM

796 posts, read 1,616,296 times
My son and his girlfriend are in the Air Force (reserves) and I haven't heard a single complaint from them....so proud of them too...and of your sons!!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:47 PM

360 posts, read 657,197 times
My brother and I enlisted in the Army in the late 90s.
Locked, Cocked ready to Rock...and then he went to Iraq -
It was full battle rattle.

I miss those days. Although I was stationed in a Seabee base, I know virtually nothing about the Navy - except that their underclothes had their names on it. I found it strange, but they found it strange how we liked to do pushups after chow. To each their own.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:01 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
I'll side with MMM on this one. I enlisted in 86 and they were pushing for Nukes back then as well. Went to boot camp in Orlando with about 90% of the company going on to "become nukes". I'm guessing maybe one or two of them made it through, though. It's like Arabic and Chinese linguists at DLI. They send a bunch through in the hopes that a few actually make it. The down side of that is you're really screwed if/when you do wash out. Not saying it'll happen, but there's plenty of opportunity because it's extremely difficult to make it all the way through.
You also can't pick what kind of boat you go to. Saying you want to go on a carrier may sound good, but it depends on where the Navy needs you at that point in time and it very well could be a Fast Attack or Trident that needs you more.
I'd go with the ones suggesting a CT route. I started as a PH (photographer) and converted to CTI and don't regret it one bit. The clearance is worth a fortune and the opportunities are much more interesting. You can't talk about a lot of the things you did, but some were pretty freaking cool and not anything your average person can say they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or