U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:47 AM

246 posts, read 348,867 times

Advertisements

I have stopped going to Starbucks since the price of my "usual" as gone over $4 but I got some gift cards for Christmas. I only went once every couple of weeks when I did go.

This morning is was cool and I decided to use the last of my gift card. Never know what is left on these things since I never get a receipt. Turns out I owed 6 cents. Usually have no change but today I reached in my pocket and came out with 4 pennies. I said "it's either 4 cents or this dollar" She took the dollar. Unbelievable. I guess she thought she was getting an easy 94 cent tip. Fat chance.

Oh well. I feel better now. I'm sure they will be out of business shortly without my money. Just figured out that I could get at least 4 tacos instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,735,489 times
Marble Mocha Macchiato, skim milk, no whip! Yes, they still make these even if they are not on the menu.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 AM

5,613 posts, read 8,043,089 times
Which Starbucks was this? It would help fellow CDers out a great deal if we knew which ones to avoud. The one at 10/ De Zavala is fabulous when I go there.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 AM

3,163 posts, read 7,209,784 times
I will give it to Starbucks...they are one of the few chains which are consistently good (OP's experience not withstanding)

even though I am a Dunkin' Donuts girl at heart...sigh...

Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Which Starbucks was this? It would help fellow CDers out a great deal if we knew which ones to avoud. The one at 10/ De Zavala is fabulous when I go there.
No reason to single them out. Just my first rant of the New Year. It was not the end of the world. It just shows that some "kids" can't think on their feet. They will learn. I am sure she was told the cash register MUST balance or it comes out of your pay.

This is just another reason I avoid chains most of the time.

This same situation came up the other day at Ace Mart (one of my favorite businesses ) Couple of pennies over the dollar amount and the guy said don't bother, too much trouble to count out 98cents in change.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 AM

14,469 posts, read 30,509,580 times
But, she could just as easily been a cashier at acemart. I've seen it go both ways....crappy service one place, great the next. It's the person, not their place of employment. At least in my experience anyway.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,360,063 times
Why didn't you just give her 1.01 and get 3 quarters and 2 dimes back? She/ Starbucks didn't owe you 2 cents nor did she probably expect a 94 cent tip. Two cents here and there eventually add up.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,254,428 times
The only worthwhile cup of Starbucks coffee are those that are brewed in the new Clover machine. There aren't any in Texas right now and most of the locations with Clover are on either coast (well, and of course, Seattle).

I guess the concept of Starbucks is lost on me: I find the roast of their coffee to be terrible, the quality control of HOW they make their drinks to be as consistent as the TSA and a general sense that as a society, we're going insane if we pay $5 for a cup of caffeine. What was once a status symbol (carrying around that damned cup) has now turned into a full-blown way of life for some. An everyday (expensive) fix.

Keep your corporate coffee... I'll stick with my at-home machine and give my money to a local mom-n-pop

BN

Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
The only worthwhile cup of Starbucks coffee are those that are brewed in the new Clover machine. There aren't any in Texas right now and most of the locations with Clover are on either coast (well, and of course, Seattle).

I guess the concept of Starbucks is lost on me: I find the roast of their coffee to be terrible, the quality control of HOW they make their drinks to be as consistent as the TSA and a general sense that as a society, we're going insane if we pay $5 for a cup of caffeine. What was once a status symbol (carrying around that damned cup) has now turned into a full-blown way of life for some. An everyday (expensive) fix.

Keep your corporate coffee... I'll stick with my at-home machine and give my money to a local mom-n-pop

BN
AMEN.

Also just figured out that if I skip Starbucks I can have a good bottle of wine for every 3 trips I would have made. Now we are talking.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,113,117 times
But reality is that you paid what you owed, instead of them giving you money off. As a business owner, I respect that the kid did their job. Shrinkage, though usually very small amounts, costs businesses millions and can sometimes put them under. Will Starbucks go under over a few cents? No. Of course not. But the kid was doing their job and honestly should be commended. It's not like having change over a dollar in your pocket changed your day for the worse, correct?

That all being said, it's overpriced coffee anyway. Bad coffee at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio