U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,385 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter how high the fines are or how low the blood alcohol content limits are. It's not about how much money we can make off of drunk drivers or how much we can oppress the general public in the name of stopping drunk driving and the carnage that goes along with it. We need to do something to stop it. I would like to see the results of the blood tests. Did the driver in this latest accident have a blood alcohol content of .09? I doubt it. Probably .18 or higher. So you could lower the percntage down to zero and it wouldn't matter. Where was this guy when he was getting smashed before he got into his car. Odds are he was somewhere where there were other people who knew how drunk he was and did nothing. Perhaps a bartender who made money for the bar buy selling him drinks until he was too drunk to be a patron of the bar anymore. They may even have cut him off but let him get into his car and drive off. Perhaps he was drinking with friends in someones back yard and THEY let him drive off drunk. They probably even said, as he drove away, "I sure hope he makes it home OK". This has to stop. San Antonio is a big city with massive freeways full of other drivers who may be drunk, tired, sick, texters and cell phone junkies or just plain stupid. In most cases it's not like you can just drive down the road to get home and try not to hit a mail box. I think behind every DWI fatality there is a person or group of persons that 'let it happen'. In the case of bar owners or bartenders, perhaps even profited from it. We will never stop this until the mindset of all changes. Someone with some backbone needs to step up and say NO you are not driving that car in your condition. Give me the keys or I will kick your butt and get them from you. Drunk people, by definition, do not have good judgment. Somebody has to have good judgement for them.

This reminds me of something that happened many years ago. When I was about 18 my inlaws suprized my then wife and I and showed up at our campsite on the beach at Port Aransas. They had five kids in the station wagon. They sat there and drank beer all day and got really drunk. They wanted to drive home that night all the way back to San Antonio with all five kids in the car. I waited until they went to the restrooms down the road and I pulled all of the sparkplug wires off of the car and threw them into the dunes. The car would not start. They wound up staying the night, reluctantly, because they both had to be at work the next morning. The next morning we put the wires back on the car and they drove home. Probably a tragedy or, at least, a DWI deverted. At the time they were not happy with what I did. Oh Well! I still feel OK with it.

Last edited by SnappyBob; 01-23-2011 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,006,091 times
IMHO if people are going to drink at a bar of such, they should hand over the keys to the bartender and if they are too drunk to drive not give them back... something like that. But it really pisses me off that SAPD and BCSD are investing more of their time and money into purchasing equipment to inspect commercial trucks for DOT Regs... Leave that job to DPS. What they should really do is scope around bars and see who the real law breakers are.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:13 PM

5,621 posts, read 6,404,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
If it were up to me, I'd allow the IRS to seize the tax returns of drunk drivers who don't pay their fines!

I have over $70,000 in student loans and if they go into default (I don't pay the loans) the IRS will garnish my wages, and seize all of my federal tax returns until my student loans are paid off in FULL!

So, if a person like me (who does the right thing and goes to college, but who doesn't pay the student loans) can get my wages garnished and tax returns seized by the IRS, so should drunk drivers too!

If drunk drivers don't pay their court-assessed "fines"....garnish their wages and seize all of their federal tax returns until their fines are PAID IN FULL! When they see the judge, have them sign a "promissory note" to pay all their fines back and if they don't, the terms of the promissory note should also state they will have their wages garnished and/or or tax returns seized if they don't make SOME kind of payment on a monthly basis!

I know some people will say it's not the job of the IRS to do that, which is true. Well, let's make it their job! Change it so it IS their job and within their power to do that, or create a new federal entity who will be able to do that and then get the money and turn it over to the appropriate local court.

If those who break the law know their coveted thousands of dollars in tax credits will be taken away, let's see how many people will start following the law!
Over $70,000 in student loans? Yikes!

I didn't realize tuition has gotten so expensive. You must be going to a private university.

It is more expensive being a student than a drunk driver.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,499,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I pulled all of the sparkplug wires off of the car and threw them into the dunes. The car would not start. They wound up staying the night.
Haha.....sounds like something I would do too, SnappyBob.....

I do not drink boozedrug at all myself and I have been the Designated Driver whenever I would go out with friends in the past, not that I go out as often these days like before; as everyone knows: those roads are FULL of surprises.....

I personally like the old Unit Cohesion idea of if a soldier was insubordinate somehow then the whole platoon is made to suffer somehow where Drunk Driving is concerned; in this case: if somehow a drunk driver got hold of a vehicle {through someone enabling him through Irresponsible Willfulness or Irresponsible Negligence} and then an accident results later on then not just the drunk driver should be soundly-slapped but the owner of the killer Weapon Of Mass Destruction as well.....

And of course, I have heard about Unethical Business Practices also, so: is continuing to sell and sell and sell alcohol to someone who is way-too-drunk already Unethical Beyond The Shadow Of A Doubt for the good of everyone else out on the streets?

It might be a clearly counterintuitive question but I suppose I was just formalizing is all.......

Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,373,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
IMHO if people are going to drink at a bar of such, they should hand over the keys to the bartender and if they are too drunk to drive not give them back... something like that. But it really pisses me off that SAPD and BCSD are investing more of their time and money into purchasing equipment to inspect commercial trucks for DOT Regs... Leave that job to DPS. What they should really do is scope around bars and see who the real law breakers are.
~ God forbid "I" take responsibility for my own actions....

~ "I" am too stupid to know I am too drunk to get behind the wheel of a vehicle....

Yup, put the blame on SAPD.

Lets have an SAPD officer stationed in front of every bar within SA city limits

Private parties in peoples homes where alcoholic beverages are consumed... illegal

Alcoholic beverages at Pro sports games.. illegal

Lets cause major issues for everyone else because we don't have the balls to do what it takes to get drunks off the road...

Last edited by plwhit; 01-23-2011 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,351,360 times
I'm sure a lot of the DUI / DWI incident's don't go to court. When there is a trial we who have the opportunity to serve on a jury can do everything in our might to insure those *******s are punished.
Somehow, Someway, Sometimes, some Slick Haired High Dollar Lawyer will convice the Jury that his Drunken Client who maimed or killed someone did not have those intentions when he drove to the bar and had a few drinks.

A punishment of probation for this type of an offense sickens me. Where is the" incentive" to never do it again.

I will admit that this punk ass who changed the young Police Officer's life forever is my Wife's Great Nephew. As you all know he has been in trouble before for drinking and driving and he didn't learn crap. I don't think I've every met the punk but I pray that he gets the most severe punishment he can. If not, something is really screwed up and we can all be assured it will never ever stop.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,076,611 times
Quote:
something is really screwed up and we can all be assured it will never ever stop.
I think maybe something is indeed screwed up here, that it's not going to stop. I've almost thought of learning Arabic and moving away to some Muslim country where they can't be drinking alcohol, and I never have to think of drunks ending lives on the road. I am so scared here, the drunks just driving on and on, it's endless, and I don't know if praying alone is going to help us.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,373,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I think maybe something is indeed screwed up here, that it's not going to stop. I've almost thought of learning Arabic and moving away to some Muslim country where they can't be drinking alcohol, and I never have to think of drunks ending lives on the road. I am so scared here, the drunks just driving on and on, it's endless, and I don't know if praying alone is going to help us.
Yeah, all you have to worry about in a muslim country is saying the wrong word and you get stoned to death

Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,076,611 times
Right, the wrong word is "give me alcohol" then I get stoned to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio