Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 PM

105 posts, read 244,160 times

Advertisements

Greetings from the cold snowy woods of Maine (where the temps are dropping to minus 15 degrees tonight, ugh). I will be relocating this winter to San Antonio (helping my father out who lives about an hour away); it's been MANY years since this Texas-born girl has lived there, and never in San Antonio, so I am seeking assistance from locals.
I've been doing some preliminary apartment hunting online & the site I was using breaks the city down into 6 areas - downtown, N Central, NE, NW, NW/Medical Ctr & south. Can I please get some feedback on this?
I am a single, middle-aged woman with a small dog, not looking for anything high end, just comfortable & relatively safe. I don't need good schools (the kids are grown), trendy, ultra-secure neighborhoods, or fluff.
Any areas that I should absolutely stay away from?
Also, is San Antonio motorcyle friendly (as I will be bringing my Triumph with me) & does TX have a helmet law? I really think Maine & New Hampshire are probably the only states left that don't have helmet laws, but it's worth asking.
Thank you for your help - I am looking forward to coming home, I am so over New England living!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
Depends on what direction from SA your father is located. To make it easier, I would move to that side of town. If he is south, live on the southside. If he is north, live on the northeaat, north, or somewhere like that.
There is no helmet law in Texas. Notice all the vegtables in the ICU.
Other than where your going to work, or what things you like to be near, move almost anywhere in the city is good. There are pockets in areas that are not safe, but it's small and you would have to be more specific on just where your looking to get a really good response.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Howdy....an' welcome home!

No helmet law in Texas. I always wear mine, encourage others to do the same - but it IS yer choice!

Your locales are all over the city - does it HAVE to be in SA? What about Bandera, Boerne, New Braunfels area? Lot less traffic, an' quicker to hit the backroads for a spin!

Feel free to DM, or just post back here!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Shane, my dad lives around Kerrville (I don't know anything about it except they apparently have a music festival of some significance, according to a local Mainer singer/song writer I know). I've lived in the New England woods for so many years now (if you're familiar, I'm 20 minutes north of Lewiston/Auburn, 50 minutes north of Portland) I'd like to be less remote, closer to city life, but not in the 'burbs (though, admittedly, I'll miss all the turkeys that cruise across my land). That's awesome to hear that for the most part, the whole city is pretty safe. I'm not a nervous-Nellie type & have no qualms with walking around downtown Boston, or Portland by myself at night - granted, I know what neighborhoods to avoid.
TX Redneck - thanks for the welcome home! That's one thing I love about Texas, her people are awesome! I have a love for cities, but would certainly consider outlying areas if close to my dad. You're right about it being easier to get out onto the backroads for a ride. I was just using an apartment-finder website as a starting point, that's why the locales were so broad.
I'm afraid I do not know how to DM someone. I don't log on here terribly often.
As for helmets, I have a couple & wear them often, but like knowing that I don't have to if I don't want to. It's a risk I choose to take.
Thanks, Gents, for the input, I'll be thinking about it when I'm shoveling out from the storm on Wed & waiting for the town plow to go by so I can get out!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
Boerne might be worth a look - small town feel, but close to San Antonio. It is on the right side of town for trips to Kerrville - somewhere on the east side would add quite a bit to your trips to help your dad.

Plus the area around Boerne has lots of deer and wildlife - haven't seen any turkeys, but deer abound and I've even seen a non squished skunk or 2!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
If you're going to commute to Kerrville to see your father on a regular basis there are plenty of great places in between the 1604/410 area near 10. It also depends on your budget on what you end up finding. You can easily find a little condo for space for you and your dog or a small new home or a smaller older home in the area.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Okay - obvious question - why not Kerrville itself, or Fredericksburg? Bandera might be another option. Thing is, you don't wanna run SA/Kerrville too much, simply because of the deer. They ain't as big 'round here as up there, but they're certainly big 'nuff ta rearrange a car!
Also - Kerrville ain't the "small burg" it was 20 years ago. Still ain't huge, but it's grown pretty good - kinda a large small town now.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Texas does have some requirements when it comes to motorcycle helmets...

Quote:
The law requires the Texas Department of Insurance to prescribe a standard proof of health insurance for issuance to persons who are at least 21 years of age and covered by an applicable health insurance plan. "Health insurance plan" means an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, evidence of coverage, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.
The former law required a person be covered with a minimum of $10,000 in health insurance for injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident to be eligible for an exception for the offense of operating or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Senate Bill 1967 of the 81st Regular Legislative Session became law on September 1, 2009 and repealed the helmet exemption sticker program and removed that minimum amount (Source).

More information can be found at the Texas Department of Public Safety - Motorcycle Safety Unit Overview and the requirements for getting a motorcycle license in Texas can be found at TxDPS - Motorcycle License.

And welcome back to Texas!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Hmmm, M.M.Max - do I understand this correctly, in order to ride w/o a helmet, one must have health insurance? That's an interesting approach. I will follow up on the link you provided, thanks! And thank you for the welcome back, I appreciate it. I'm excited to get out there and not just because of the weather.
Ashbeeigh & 88, thank you for the info - I'll do some more research.An actual home, or something with a yard would be ideal, my dog is a pug & she doesn't need a lot of room, but she's very used to having acres of woods to explore. Unsquished skunks are the best kind!
Hello again, Redneck! LOL, yeah-obvious question is right-Kerrville is a little further away than I had hoped to be to the city. Hadn't considered the deer-danger while commuting, we certainly have lots of them here & they do get big. We have to watch for moose, too(that's why I don't often ride the bike at night, can't see the damn things). Knew a guy that got knocked off his bike by a turkey that took flight in his path-it was a bad wreck. I've had to duck to miss being hit by an almost airborn turkey, too. Yikes!
Thank you all for your help, I'm always interested in what locals have to say.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 PM

Aulani, again - feel free to DM. M2 and I both ride bikes, so we "get" the special considerations there. If you wanna be "in" town, but not - try Boerne, Leon Springs, Helotes - both more "outskirts" to SA, but not so far out as Kerrville - but all pretty straight shots to there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio