U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 AM

437 posts, read 776,515 times

Advertisements

I'm happy to see the overwhelming response in favor of those old neighborhoods. I live in Dignowity Hill Historic District and love it. As a real estate agent, I get to experience many neighborhoods in a rather unique way (and I sell many homes in the neighborhoods listed below). So here are my favorites (not in any particular order):

Alta Vista, Mahncke Park, Monte Vista, Tobin Hill, King William, Lavaca, Southtown, Dignowity Hill, Woodlawn Terrace, other neighborhoods in the Woodlawn Lake area (but watch out for flood zones), Alamo Heights, Olmos Park. I'm sure I'm missing a couple. Of course I love Grey Forest and parts of Helotes. I'm leaving Beacon Hill off my list because it doesn't quite do the trick for me.

The reasons I like those neighborhoods: the only time I see traffic is when I go to other areas of town, I'm always going against the traffic at rush hour, everything I enjoy and everything useful is close by (Central Market, Whole Foods, farmers' markets, historical sites, the arts, several major highways, the airport, the zoo, parks, museums, unique restaurants, and much more). It doesn't get more convenient. I love the old homes (built before 1940); they're unique, have character and charm, are solidly built to last,... I could go on and on. From my house I can walk to the Riverwalk and enjoy the extension. Out of town visitors love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,863,811 times
I live on the southeast side of town and I hate it. The traffic is terrible. There's no places to shop. There is riff raff hanging around everywhere. Just the other day some crusty old drifter pervert pinched me on the butt in HEB. So Anybody out there that is planning to move to SA don't move over here. You'll be sorry if you do. Move to Stone Oak or the Great Northwest or anywhere but the Southeast side. Specifically the Brooks City Base area.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,447,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I live on the southeast side of town and I hate it. The traffic is terrible. There's no places to shop. There is riff raff hanging around everywhere. Just the other day some crusty old drifter pervert pinched me on the butt in HEB. So Anybody out there that is planning to move to SA don't move over here. You'll be sorry if you do. Move to Stone Oak or the Great Northwest or anywhere but the Southeast side. Specifically the Brooks City Base area.
Traffic terrible? Come to Potranco between 7 am and 8 am; that's bad!
No places to shop? What kind of shopping are you looking for? At least think of this way for now: you'll be less tempted to spend. The stores that have just been built are much the same as any other side: Office Depot, Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc.
I buy online so I don't go to the store much.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 PM

759 posts, read 3,384,818 times
We chose to live in 78248. I like being inside Loop 1604... I can basically be anywhere in 15 minutes and I’m also close to all my friends who chose to live in Stone Oak. The schools are excellent, the neighborhoods have homes around 20 years old, so while not older, they are certainly established. We have tons and tons of big oak trees, sidewalks, and friendly neighbors. We are thrilled with our location.

Neighborhoods are Inwood(s) and Deerfield(s) plus several more.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times
The area we live in - Southtown (which comprises Lavaca and King William). I like that it's an old established neighborhood, lots of mature trees, interesting variety of mostly turn of the century houses and a few very modern Dwell-worthy houses. Very interesting array of neighbors from old timers to newbies, artsy fartsy to IT and CEO types, families, empty nesters, childfree and more. I like that it's a short walk to downtown and all that offers. I like that it's basically "urban" but not so high density that you're on top of each other - smallish houses but large lots. I like the community feel of the area - everyone watches out for everyone else (our kids can't get away with much with all the neighbors keeping an eye out!). I love all the neighborhood eateries/drinkeries ;-), galleries....(could do with more interesting shops).

Other neighborhoods I like, but for me are too far from downtown to live - Dignowity Hill, Tobin Hill, Woodlawn Lake, Alta Vista, Monte Vista, Government Hill. SoFlo and other near-Southtown neighborhoods are up and coming. I love the houses in the Oak Park area (410/I10/Callaghan). Some areas of Alamo Heights and Terrel Hills, but since I can't afford it, well....

I should add that I first moved to the area when it was still inner city ghetto, but on the upswing. We bought in the very early days of revitalization, when it still required a leap of faith and a heck of a lot of sweat equity.

Last edited by Chaka; 01-27-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,600,974 times
I like the 10/410 to 1604 area to slightly outside 1604 towards Boerne. It's a straight shot downtown within 20 minutes and although traffic can be hellish at rush hour it's convienent to most suburban things but it isn't "growing" as much as other areas of the city anymore. It's already gone through it's growing pains, unless you count the La Cantera area there's really nowhere else to grow. It's all done. And while I may complain a bit about the De Zavala traffic it's nothing like sitting in 1604 traffic at Shanefield and getting to Braun in 30 minutes.

Although that's my preferred area I would love to be able to live in any of the historic areas inside 410. There is so much character and my dream is to have a house that isn't part of a master planned community.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Traffic terrible? Come to Potranco between 7 am and 8 am; that's bad!
No places to shop? What kind of shopping are you looking for? At least think of this way for now: you'll be less tempted to spend. The stores that have just been built are much the same as any other side: Office Depot, Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc.
I buy online so I don't go to the store much.
I had kind of figured he was being sarcastic, no? To keep others away?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:45 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
We chose to live in 78248. I like being inside Loop 1604... I can basically be anywhere in 15 minutes and Iím also close to all my friends who chose to live in Stone Oak. The schools are excellent, the neighborhoods have homes around 20 years old, so while not older, they are certainly established. We have tons and tons of big oak trees, sidewalks, and friendly neighbors. We are thrilled with our location.

Neighborhoods are Inwood(s) and Deerfield(s) plus several more.
What she said... that's one thing that I do miss since moving to Charleston. I haven't found anything quite like it yet. Wish I could pack up the house and take it with me but that's not exactly an option so it's for sale now.
(the whole place has been redone completely, hurry up and by it already! )

Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,447,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I had kind of figured he was being sarcastic, no? To keep others away?
I have no idea!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 AM

437 posts, read 776,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I have no idea!
I don't know where on the southeast SnappyBob lives, but I can tell you that parts of the southeast are pretty rough...I don't think SnappyBob was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio