U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM

291 posts, read 289,875 times
that's how its done everywhere
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,262 posts, read 19,769,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It costs money to run for city council. AFAIK, most of that money for well-funded candidates comes from lobbyists and businesses.

Like I said above, this case is a byproduct of term limits.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM

3,958 posts, read 3,989,455 times
Sorry, Bo - I strongly disagree. I can remember LOTS of times when council members have been corrupt back in the days before term limits. Difference being, they were able to keep their seats because they couldn't be turned out unless the voters had enough - and the political machines these folks set up were world-class in that regard.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,262 posts, read 19,769,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sorry, Bo - I strongly disagree. I can remember LOTS of times when council members have been corrupt back in the days before term limits. Difference being, they were able to keep their seats because they couldn't be turned out unless the voters had enough - and the political machines these folks set up were world-class in that regard.
I don't think we disagree as much as you think.

My point, which was probably explained with too few words, was that this particular councilwoman made rookie mistakes that may or may not have crossed legal lines. She's a rookie because her predecessor was term limited out of office. A more experienced pol would have known better.

I don't see tight term limits or the removal of them as a way of eliminating corruption. The machines you mentioned are still electing people, they're just electing a bigger variety of people. Unfortunately, that variety doesn't always seem to include people who instinctively pay scrupulous attention to following the law.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Bo, you and I both know the lines between right and wrong - and so do they. They are given specific instructions on "conflict of interest", and a paid city attorney is available to them at any time for consultation. I've served in a number of capacities for various groups and organizations, and ALWAYS worked to go the "extra mile" to be sure that there were no lines crossed. In her case, it's obvious that she didn't worry about those lines, IMO.
And without term limits, we get folks even more adept at circumventing the law. Gimme the amatuers!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
RGJ

1,898 posts, read 2,412,074 times
Isn't Ms.Ramos an attorney herself who majored in political science in college? How could she not know this was at best unethical, if not illegal? I think more interesting is the outcome of her "arranging" for $18,000 to go to her friends catering business. Has there been an outcome on that?

Last edited by RGJ; 02-02-2011 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,114,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The complaint that brought this to light was filed by the sister of an opposing candidate.
Liz Campos seems to be slamming Jennifer Ramos on her FB page over this and for a housekeeping contract awarded to Jennifer Ramos' mother. It looks like District 3 is going to have a mud slinging type contest which is sort of sad. We don't really need those kind of dirty politics here. As someone living in this district my vote for city councilperson will go to the candidate that runs a clean campaign or I won't vote at all.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elizab...80064142014098

Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 AM

Merovee, don't do that - no matter what, vote for the person you think best can represent you, or find another candidate. If nothing else, vote for the one that you feel will be the least destructive. Refusing to vote benefits no one except the worst candidate!! If the choice you're forced to make is so bad, be looking about to find (and support) a viable candidate for the next election cycle, but be SURE to vote in this one as well.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 AM

10,367 posts, read 8,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Liz Campos seems to be slamming Jennifer Ramos on her FB page over this and for a housekeeping contract awarded to Jennifer Ramos' mother. It looks like District 3 is going to have a mud slinging type contest which is sort of sad. We don't really need those kind of dirty politics here. As someone living in this district my vote for city councilperson will go to the candidate that runs a clean campaign or I won't vote at all.

Elizabeth "Liz" Campos for City Council District 3 | Facebook
I guess that you haven't voted in the last few Presidential elections either?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 PM

432 posts, read 1,512,259 times
Could there be corruption in the City Council?
Does a woodchuck chuck wood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio