U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,442,914 times

Advertisements

Ramos sought to help WellMed - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,179,945 times
What do you mean "Could". About 5-7 years ago, they sent 2 city council members to jail for taking bribes. I am sure her employeer has been giving her bonuses.
I love her excuse "I didnt think".

Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
What do you mean "Could". About 5-7 years ago, they sent 2 city council members to jail for taking bribes. I am sure her employeer has been giving her bonuses.
I love her excuse "I didnt think".
I've was terminated from a job for "poor judgment" about 10 years ago. The older that I get, I see that it is much more common than I thought. It was especially telling that the other Council members said, "Wellmed, oh sure sure, give it here, I'll sign it" - without even taking a pause. From the article, even the City Attorney seemed to hint that he/she would protect Ramos from any hint of wrongdoing. Business as usual, I suppose.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,017,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
. From the article, even the City Attorney seemed to hint that he/she would protect Ramos from any hint of wrongdoing. Business as usual, I suppose.
Not sure how you make that leap. One of the responsibilities of the city attorney is to consult with council members and advise them of, among other things, conflict of interest situations. Though I'm sure Ms. Ramos will have some explaining to do.....

Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM

905 posts, read 1,356,189 times
City contracts for large mediical groups are a huge business especially when Secure Horizons conversions are at stake. Ramos will get what she deserves, justice will be served..

Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,150,880 times
IMO, this is a hazard of term limits. By changing out council members every few years, we get young, inexperienced council members who lack the instincts to recognize when they've crossed ethical lines. Voters decided back in the 90s that this was preferable to electing the same people over and over and over again, but clearly it's not a perfect solution.

I doubt that she crossed any legal lines that will result in significant consequences.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM

6,151 posts, read 8,614,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

I doubt that she crossed any legal lines that will result in significant consequences.

That's such a big issue with people that serve. Whether it be politically, socially or through civil service. What is ethical is not always legal and what is legal is not always ethical. There's invisible lines that get drawn that people in those types of situations just have to know. While some people just "know" them, whether it be their upbringing or their small amount of experience, others have to learn on the job. Obviously Ramos is learning on the job.While I can't say I've read the full article I saw something on KSAT about the issue last night.

Is it just coincidence that this is happening when she is running for reelection and that the ethics report will be out in about 90 days (a few weeks before reelection?). Doubtful. It's just so convenient.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,150,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Is it just coincidence that this is happening when she is running for reelection and that the ethics report will be out in about 90 days (a few weeks before reelection?). Doubtful. It's just so convenient.
Absolutely not a coincidence, nor is anyone trying to shield the origin of this issue. The complaint that brought this to light was filed by the sister of an opposing candidate. Sadly, incumbency is such a big advantage that unless one has a huge campaign fund or unlimited time to go door-to-door, casting a cloud of uncertainty or hinting at corruption is the only way to unseat an incumbent.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,017,490 times
Our council form of government is designed to let the City Manager run the day-to-day operations and the council is only supposed to oversee and vote on the issues that require them to do so. Over the last 10-20 years the people on the council have decided that it should be a full time job, and not a part time job as it was intended.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Default Is this the way that Business is DONE in SA?

Councilwoman's links to WellMed draw fire - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or