U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,147,671 times

Advertisements

One reason this can happen is that there are a bunch of courts in this county. In 8 years, Mrs. Bo has been called 3x for jury duty, each time to a different level of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,753 times
Too true! You could be putting away a drunk driver one day, and then a few weeks later deciding on a handsome reward for a client of the Maloneys, The Hammer, or Wayne Wright.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,998,271 times
True, Bo - but I know plenty of folks that get repeat summonses for the same courts.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:10 PM

291 posts, read 536,186 times
I dont mind going, but wasting a whole day is what gets me. If the selection process was faster/easier then it would be great. But that's just a foolish dream.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:13 PM

7,651 posts, read 8,106,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
One reason this can happen is that there are a bunch of courts in this county. In 8 years, Mrs. Bo has been called 3x for jury duty, each time to a different level of government.
Ive been called 3 times in the past 2 years. I keep telling them I am not a U.S. citizen all notarized and legal-like (automatically ineligible) and yet they keep sending them.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,119,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I've served plenty and will always when called upon to do so.

Waiting for majormadmax to join this one.

I have no problem with being called for jury duty, and to be honest I do enjoy the experience. When I was on active duty, I was a permanent volunteer for court martial boards. I guess I'm a gluten for punishment (and dishing it out! ).

Oddly enough, I don't get selected often. I suspect it is because of my job, which I cannot discuss in detail; but I am a willing juror if asked.

But in reality, The missus gets called more than I do. Go figure.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,998,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

But in reality, The missus gets called more than I do. Go figure.
That' easy - she has a figure!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times
and a better personality..

you don't get picked for the same reason I don't. We're a little opinionated and a bit extreme..

Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,308,551 times
I've only been summoned once..and got picked for jury duty. It was a child-abuse case, and I gotta tell you..it was a very emotional trial. Like being in the middle of a soap opera. I'd do it again though....was an experience I'll never forget.
One good thing about it....a lot of pretty women seem to work at the courthouse...made the boring selection process go by a lot smoother!

P.S. ....take a book to read....you're going to be sitting and waiting a long time!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,167,215 times
Between Bexar County and COSA Municpal Court, I think I've been summoned eight times since 1985. Only got excused once, because I had gotten a summons within a couple of years of my last jury service. I only got picked to serve on a jury panel one of those times.

I've talked to other people about my age, who say they've only been summoned once or twice in their life, or in some cases, never. They've been using both drivers license and voter registration rolls for the past several years (used to be just voter registration). I've lived in the same house for a long time, and keep my license & voter registration current. But I think what reduces the chances of a lot of people getting summoned is because they move every few years, and then they may not get their license & voter card updated to reflect their new address until they expire, maybe a couple of years, or more. By the time they do that, it's almost time to move again. The summonses I've always gotten say "Do Not Forward" on the front of the envelope, so if the rolls don't reflect your current address, you aren't getting a summons.

BTW, the last time I served at the Bexar County Couthouse, jurors were paid $6 for the first day of service, and $40 for the second & subsequent days, if they had to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio