U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I know people like you who have come from the part of town you grew up in. I was born and raised on the SE part of town. Somehow you think that just because you've moved from that part of town and you may have had a little more education than most from there, you are superior? Where'd you go to high school? Brackenridge? Highlands?(my alma mater). I don't know of any Yale or Harvard grads from those schools. I think you are really a lost individual. Anyways, I'm through with this thread.
I still live in the SE side. Only left for a few years but have been back for over a decade.

As I said feel free to visit and you make friends, you can have them, I don't want them. Somehow I doubt you would find that desirable. If so then you should not really expect others to find befriending some of these people as desirable either. There are a few redeemable people but the vast majority are not in my book.

(: Have a nice night then if you are truly done with this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM

5,622 posts, read 6,405,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I still live in the SE side. Only left for a few years but have been back for over a decade.

As I said feel free to visit and you make friends, you can have them, I don't want them. Somehow I doubt you would find that desirable. If so then you should not really expect others to find befriending some of these people as desirable either. There are a few redeemable people but the vast majority are not in my book.

(: Have a nice night then if you are truly done with this thread.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

We simply use it to mean most of the people in San Antonio which we do not consider ourselves as.
wow. that was really kind of you.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,176,023 times
Holy crap! Now THIS is a great thread, even with Merovee on my ignore list. I can still see the quotes. Awesome.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:20 PM

5,622 posts, read 6,405,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Holy crap! Now THIS is a great thread, even with Merovee on my ignore list. I can still see the quotes. Awesome.
I am thinking about doing the same and I have never put anyone on ignore.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
wow. that was really kind of you.
It is not like I go up to everyone and tell them and for the few I do reject it is not like I tell them why. This is a forum to discuss our opinions of the city and the people within.

What would be kinder in your opinion? To act fake and pretend?

Imagine now if all those who loathe our city's drivers actually caught the attention of as many of them as they could and told them how they felt about their driving? There is no harm if instead they post on this forum their opinion of our city's drivers even if I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I am thinking about doing the same and I have never put anyone on ignore.
If that will save you from suffering the opinions of others perhaps it would be a good idea. I don't see anything wrong with it at all and might even find it favorable.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 AM

6,999 posts, read 10,235,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Chusma is an ugly word. I am surprised that someone of such intellect would choose to use that term. :\
I'm sorry but what? There is a difference between acting smart and being smart. Some people like to overcompensate for what they're lacking. If you knew the amount of education and assets some of the members here actually possess........ But I didn't need to know that; I could immediately tell when they couldn't spell "payed." It would be wiser to spend money on some remedial English courses instead of clothes.

I've been in San Antonio my whole life and have no problem with people's negative opinions about it as long as those opinions aren't rooted in bigotry. I can recall one active person in this thread being so riled up by me saying that San Antonio is not diverse. It is what it is. Accept it or try to change it, but don't act like it's not true and get worked up over it. The truth hurts. When someone says something negative about something that is false, I just counter it with facts. There is no reason to be offended by something that is not true when it's not even directed at you personally.

Last edited by L210; 01-29-2011 at 03:59 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 AM

40 posts, read 61,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Wow, I just happened to read your post over on the Raleigh forum (because that's where I live for another 3 weeks) talking about how hot the last 2 summers in SA were. I caught my attention as from what I understand the summer in 2010 wasn't as bad as usual due to the hurricanes and tropical storms. In fact it was worse during most of the summer here in NC. I thought it funny that you had a post here about your thoughts on SA. I'm sorry you don't understand why you were perceived as posting a negative post when that was exactly how it read. You started a post complaining about SA and people who love it responded. I understand because having left it I now see what I was missing by complaining about the traffic, the heat, etc. We are thrilled to be going back to the people and places we love. I know many of my friends from other places were blown away by the friendliness of SA and many, many people who get transferred there decide to later retire there despite the traffic and heat. There must be something that works for alot of people.

Because you posted on the Raleigh Forum I find myself wondering if that is where you plan on returning to. If so perhaps you could explain the culture a bit to me because short of BASKETBALL I'm having a hard time pinpointing it. It's certainly not southern with the massive influx from the NE yet at the same time it is extremely undiverse. I've only met 1 Hispanic who was not working at a fast food place and heard on the news the African-Americans are among the poorest in the nation. It's so sad I can't wait to get my kids back to the ethnically diverse neighborhood we moved from --STONE OAK, no kidding my son's friends from school include Anglos, Hispanics, Asians, African-Americans and Arabs.

There are plenty of bad things about SA. The sad tree ordinance situation that makes SA less beautiful then where I am now. The traffic, the crime (although I'm in a little bitty town here and there are lots of safe SA neighborhoods), the illiteracy situation (although I am inclined to wonder if perhaps immigration skews SA a bit on that end), the teen pregnancy rate. As said, there are bad things about most places. I see threads like this often over on the Raleigh Forum where someone starts off negative and locals defend the place so it's not unique to SA. I have plenty of things I DON'T like about the Raleigh area but I'm not going to bring them up to people who live here. I just tell them why I want to move home and leave it at that. But why on earth would you stay 12 years in a place where you are unhappy?
I am looking into areas that are closer to my family, not Raleigh in particular, but I saw that someone was complaining about the heat in NC. I did live in NC a while back and the summers there are NO where as hot as here. You can look at the statistics to find that information. Last summer we have had over 60 days of 100 degree temps. I did not claim that Raleigh had culture at all. If you must know I stuck here for my husband, and if it was up to me (and him actually) we would both be gone. He has lived here for most of his life and wants to leave as well.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:25 AM

40 posts, read 61,929 times
Would someone share with me where I can see some of SA's diverse culture?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 AM

3,542 posts, read 7,524,520 times
I wouldn't say that the San Antonio area is "Epcot" diverse with a large variety of ethnic neighborhoods, but it does have a unique blend of Tex-Mex culture that isn't seen in most metros across the country. It's a great example of a melting pot of cultures, which certainly blurs the divisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio