Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,904,976 times

Advertisements

My son is an 8th grader and has about 10 days to decide which, if any, magnet schools he would like to apply to. We're routed to Warren (not a magnet school), which he is ultimately fine with, as he has buddies already attending there. But, he's always been interested in the SEA at John Jay High School, , Business Careers HS at Holmes , and Communication Arts at Taft. His career goals ( keeping in mind he's 14 ) are video game design and animation. Of course, completely subject to change, like next week , but he's been talking about this field for over a year.

My husband does NOT want him to attend Jay, but I'm open to it. I was told that the SEA kids are segregated from the general student body but I am not sure about this. It has nothing to do with race......yes, we're white but the concern is "students who are interested in learning vs students who are there for other reasons"--period. If anyone wants to read more into that, fine, but I won't address it. It's not up for discussion.

I am just looking for some input from parents whose children have actually attended any of the magnet schools. Was the experience good for your kid? Any regrets? Concerns?

I also have a question about transportation, but I think they get picked up at their home middle school and get bussed to their high school. Not exactly sure how that works, so if someone knows, please let me know. Thanks........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 PM

And I know I missed the Magnet School Fair they had on the 18th, I absolutely couldn't get there.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 PM

242 posts, read 663,504 times
We have friends who sent their daughter to SEA, and they love it. She's involved in sports, etc. with Jay students, and has had no problems.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:05 PM

152 posts, read 515,879 times
We missed the magnet school fair, too. My daughter goes to Zachry and they are having magnet school presentations there on February 2 (I think during 2nd period) and I was told parents are welcome to attend. The magnet schools are having their own open houses during February. SEA is 1/31 and 2/8, BCC is 2/1 and Comm Arts is 2/7.
We know people whose kids go to SEA and the parents and kids love it.
As far as transportation, I was told that they are picked up in their neighborhood and transported directly to whichever school they are attending.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Thank you both for the feedback on SEA! I am fine with him attending John Jay. He had the presentations at his school today--all of them are Facebooking like mad right now--it's a frenzy for them, trying to decide between their friends and their passions, I guess.

Good to know about the bus situation, and also the sports! He wants to do ROTC, band, football--not sure how much he can put on the plate, though.

I'm so glad the SEA students are happy there! It sounds like a great opportunity!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 PM

872 posts, read 1,848,744 times
With his interests, you certainly need to look at Comm Arts. My kiddo loved Comm Arts! This is the 5th year in a row that Newsweek has ranked Comm Arts as one of the top 100 high schools in America. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,910,775 times
My daughter graduated from Comm Arts in 2008 and loved it.

I would suggest if you have time, go to the different schools and look around. I would also look at the parent school. There may be something you like or don't like about either campus.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM

81 posts, read 187,965 times
Just to point out one thing, qualified students can only apply to any if not all of these magnet schools but, they are chosen from a lottery of qualified students. I attended the open house and came out in favour of my child attending one of them as we were both convinced it was the right choice.
I see it as a hands on experience of what the career of his choosing will be like, and if he doesn't like it he can always change, but at least he won't waste time choosing a career he may know nothing about once HS is over. I had the opportunity to speak with a few of these students at the open house and these kids know where they're going, even though they had no idea what branch they wanted to take when they first began Magnet, they certainly knew by the end of their first year there.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,910,775 times
Yes, it is all a lottery. You have to have two speeches ready for your child. if they get in , then you can tell them they are the best of the best and they were chosen for a reason.

If not, tell them it was a lottery and it has nothing to do with them.

I would still urge them to apply. There are a lot of kids that will apply to multiple schools and actually get into all of them. They will have to choose one school which will leave openings at the other. that's why they do a second draw.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Yeah, we're familiar with the lottery......his best friend was not accepted into any at first. 2nd time around, he got accepted into SEA, but his dad said "No way!" He's happy at Warren but I think his dad was being pretty narrow-minded. I really think these magnet schools are wonderful opportunities for these kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio