U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 AM

20 posts, read 40,267 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are househunting. I'm looking all the way from PA and he is in town already. I saw a home that I like in Belmont Park Cibolo. Searching the forums there are a few about that neighborhood from years ago and one more recent.

Would like to know your thoughts on the area, specifically safety and the community feel. Is it friendly?

If you live there now I would love to hear from you with any positive or negative comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM

128 posts, read 376,922 times
Hi! I live there! We moved from CT and bought our home this past August....
It is fairly quiet...with the exception of some annoying dogs our neighbors have.....there are tons of kids; if you have elementary age kids (K-4) they will go to Sippel Elementary ( a new 3 yr old school which was demed Exemplary!) which is attached to the subd (kind of) ...so no bus...they have to walk or you have to pick them up, which made my new kindergartner extremely disappointed...she was so looking forward to ride the bus

I have to be honest...maybe its just me...i'm not overly friendly or outgoing...only 1 neighbor has really gone out of her way to be welcoming to us and has invited us over to her house often. I'm a stay at home mom, and I have noticed when its warm and I walk with my 2 yr old, its pretty much me! Everyone works what seems 9-5 type jobs, so the afternoons when kids are in school, people are at work..the subd is extrememly quiet and peaceful

I have not heard of any crime in the area, i feel very safe here...still keep doors locked, gates locked, ect, but no matter where ilived, I would do this.

This is a HUGE military community, I don't know if you are aware. Most of the homes that are for sale now, were for sale when we bought this place, so I"m not sure what the problem is, why they are not selling. The home we purchased was on the market well over a year as well. I guess the land that lays infront of the subd (coming off the busy highway) was recently sold...not sure what will go in there...but right now b/c nothing is blocking the noise of the highway, we can hear some noisy trucks at night laying in bed...however, we lived on a busy road in CT, so that doesn't bother us at all. And its not really loud, you can just hear traffic in the distance.

This subd. is super close to Walmart and HEB the 2 main places to grocery shop, its about 10 min away from The Forum...don't know if you've checked that out, but it has EVERYTHING!!! Its in Selma and pretty much anystore you can think of is there (except JcPenneys ) We are about 10-15 min away from New Braunfels as well.

Please feel free to DM me or just reply if you have more questions! I"m not the best to ask since we just kinda are newbies ourselves, but I will try to help you out!! Good Luck!

I should add, we are very happy w/our choice. It was b/t this house and one in Stone Oaks area...can't even remember the name of the subd...but our realtor steered us towards this area b/c of the things we were looking for...at first I was disappointed, I really loved that other house, but when i hear on the news about traffic problems in that area, and realize how far it was from everything and how much further my husbands commute would be (he works at BAMC and it takes him 20-30 min in the AM...40 in the PM), we don't regret our choice at all. Our realtor brought us to this area (it has a Cibolo address...but it is really Schertz...I still don't get it! lol..i guess this subd. is closer to the Cibolo post office than the schertz one...but all utilities are schertz! weird!) anyway, she told us it was a very small town, Mayberry type feel...LOL! Apparently that is compared to the huge city of SA! b/c this is anything but small town! I grew up in a small town in IN and we moved from a small town in CT...this is definatly NOT Mayberry

Last edited by ksk11; 02-09-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,213 times
Default new to cibolo

my husband is transfering jobs and the new shop is in cibolo. we are from spokane wa. and I have to tell you, leaving behind our grown kids and grandaughter is going to be tough. he will work 15 hour days in and around laredo, so I will be home alot and will really need to start meeting people pretty fast, so as not to go crazy. Im thinking we will definatly want an apartment or townhouse, where their are people around. I really do hope folks are friendly to newcomers.We will be flying down for a week to find a place in the area.maybe you can tell me more about cibolo now that your there.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM

128 posts, read 376,922 times
Coming from CT the people here are EXTREMELY friendly and welcoming. I am overwhelmed sometimes when I go to HEB and WalMart at how genuinly friendly everyone is. I don't think you will be disappointed when you get here. Don't get me wrong, I have come across some very unfriendly folks, but over all very pleasantly surprised!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 PM

739 posts, read 816,523 times
Cibolo is still a small town, the main part is anyway.There has been lots of growth out into the surrounding countryside,and yet you can see deer running around.As a longtime Schertz resident(1971 to present,I can remember when Belmont Park and over half the homes around here didn't exist.In Schertz, on Schertz Parkway near Interstate 35 North are apartments and also some near Clemens Highschool on Elbel Road and Schertz Parkway. The two places to shop for groceries are H.E.B. on Farmroad 3009 and IH35 North.Right across the IH35 overpass on your right is the big Walmart.There are various banks around here, various mom and pop restaurants as well as of course chains like Chili's.As KSK11 says, the forum isn't too far,and there are places to shop and eat in Universal City,which is across from Randolph Air Force Base which my late father retired from in 1975.If you drive Pat Booker Road in Universal City and head north, you come to Live Oak,which has the Regal 18 Cinemas.Also places to shop and eat there. Cibolo doesn't have a library. However you can use the Schertz Public Library and also since you would be living in Guadalupe County,you can use the county library in Seguin, our county seat.
We also have a brand new YMCA in Schertz,as well as a new seniors community center in the old library.Also near the YMCA is Handy Andy Grocery Store, where you can pick up a few quick items.
Schertz has a website as does I believe Cibolo.
With New Braunfels being close, you can take the kids or grandkids to Schlitterbahn ,which is rated one of the best waterparks in the country. Most people around here are friendly and look out for each other.I work for the local school district which has a pretty good record in educating the kids.
Both Corpus Christi and Port Lavaca aren't too far away for fishing,and there are various parks and lakes here too if you have a boat.Universal City also has an H.E.B. on KittyHawk and Loop1604.
Also, Cibolo has Cibolo Fest,and Schertz has a winter festival at Christmas time as well as for Fourth of July. We had a little jazz festival this summer,plus "A Taste of the Metrocom" with food from various restaurants and an art show. You can also go to Converse on FarmRoad 78 which takes you towards San Antonio, they have H.E.B. in the area, a Walmart, Chili's etc.They have a "night in Old Converse",etc.Hope this helps you out with the area. Also in Live Oak there is NorthEast Methodist Hospital as well as various clinics and doctors here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio