U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather have lack of electric power during a Texas heatwave or cold 10-20degree weather?
I would rather suffer through 100+ heat and humidity 20 28.57%
I would rather suffer through 10-20 degree cold weather 46 65.71%
I'm an idiot, I like to complain 'cuz it's all about ME ME ME 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,438 times

Advertisements

We are talking about a power outage, lol not some worst case scenario where the sun won't set and inching closer to Earth or Dennis Quaid and a team of crackpot paleoclimatologist just can't convince the Gov't fast enough the world will experience an Ice Age in the next few days.

I think some of you are taking this trivial question way too serious. Food spoilage, death, destruction, looting, rioting???...okay okay, maybe I'm exaggerating...lol.

Whatever you do stay warm, and be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 PM
JJG

13,240 posts, read 19,143,997 times
I prefer the power go out when it's hot.

At least you can open a window and fan yourself. I HATE the cold...

Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,251,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
We are talking about a power outage, lol not some worst case scenario where the sun won't set and inching closer to Earth or Dennis Quaid and a team of crackpot paleoclimatologist just can't convince the Gov't fast enough the world will experience an Ice Age in the next few days.

I think some of you are taking this trivial question way too serious. Food spoilage, death, destruction, looting, rioting???...okay okay, maybe I'm exaggerating...lol.

Whatever you do stay warm, and be safe.

I don't see how anyone's exaggerating. People have experienced food spoilage during power outages in the summer. That's not a worst case scenario; it's quite common. You didn't hear about all of the people dying from the heatwave last year in the NE and Russia? A couple of years ago, people were dying in Europe because it reached 92 degrees and a lot of people didn't have A/C. Can someone tell me how many people froze to death in their home when it was 55 degrees inside?

Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,438 times
L210, my post was in jest...surely you recognize that. If not...now you know.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 AM

898 posts, read 2,274,170 times
Outage in the cold for sure. I like the house cold anyway and you can always just put on another coat. It would be interesting to see the responses after an actual power outage in July.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:14 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,570,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
Outage in the cold for sure. I like the house cold anyway and you can always just put on another coat. It would be interesting to see the responses after an actual power outage in July.
Yes. Many San Antonians went without power for a while yesterday, and I think most of the people who voted realize that a power outage in the cold is absolutely the easiest to deal with. And we're talking about people who are far more used to the heat than the cold.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM

464 posts, read 660,154 times
I'd rather suffer through a power outage in the summer.

As someone who lived through the Blizzard of '78 in New England and went without power and water for 4 days, you might say I'm more inclined to believe it's easier to cool off than it is to warm up.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,173,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
As someone who lived through the Blizzard of '78 in New England and went without power and water for 4 days, you might say I'm more inclined to believe it's easier to cool off than it is to warm up.
I remember that. I was living on Long Island at the time. They found the bodies of children in snow drifts (at least that's what mom told us) and my mom kept an eye on us the entire time we were out playing in the snow. My father had me help shovel the driveway... we had to shovel in layers. We couldn't get out the front door because a drift blocked the way out.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM

522 posts, read 990,695 times
in san antonio, outage during the winter please. you can always add more layers <3

i've been in outages (not prolonged) during stupidly hot and stupidly cold periods. there was just no way to stay cool, especially when there was no breeze. i tolerate cold a lot better than heat.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,746,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I am voting for lack of power in the summer. You can always head down to the lake for a swim to cool off, camp and cook outdoors.
I've been through both, can't say I enjoyed either but I have to say given the weather that has been going on in the US, I think its more dangerous to be cold without heat. There is the danger of freezing to death and of course damage to the water pipes. Here in Florida there is also a device on homes that stops the water in the street from backflowing into the house, these are part of code requirements. Here in Florida it was so cold last winter that a lot of people had to replace them and they aren't cheap.

We were without electricity during the heat of the summer and got through it during the hurricanes. At least during the heat you can move around, get to another part of town where you might find some power, when its cold and icy you are stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio