U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,977 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the San Antonio area from Owasso, OK and just wanted to get some insight on the best schools and neighborhoods. We heard that Schertz was a nice place to raise our 5 children and we are also wanting to know what would be a good school for our 16 year son who plays basketball to attend. We would really love to move into a neighborhood with nice homes and neighbors like in Owasso! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,628,080 times
Well, Tulsa has a population of 500,000 in the entire county. You're moving to a county with a population just under 1.7 million. SAT is a large city with tons of stuff to do, but with the requisite traffic and whatnot. It's not as bad as Los Angeles or Dallas, but it gets bad.

My biggest recommendation (as someone who works) is to live close to work, if you can. That would definitely help out a lot in terms of daily stress and whatnot.

Otherwise, there are plenty of great neighborhoods all over the city. Best of luck, and welcome to Texas!

P.S. How are you enjoying the snow up in Tulsa?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,722,006 times
I just posted this link for another person asking about basketball. It's the current rankings for the HS teams.

High school basketball rankings - San Antonio Express-News

Also the TEA rating per district. San Antonio itself has more then one district. On the north side of town (closer to Schertz) there is NEISD and Judson but if you are considering San Antonio along with Schertz you can use the county option and put Bexar County and it will pull all the districts within the county. You can check the info from there. I checked and Schertz-Cibilo-Universal City ISD looks pretty good!

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...list.srch.html

Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Thank you for the information! My kids are really bored here lately and San Antonio would be a great place for us because my husband and I always do things with the kids. As far as the snow here in Tulsa, wish I were in San Antonio

Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM

When are you guys planning on moving? I'm going to guess sometime after the current school year ends?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 PM

Yes we will wait until the end of the school year!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
I just posted this link for another person asking about basketball. It's the current rankings for the HS teams.

High school basketball rankings - San Antonio Express-News

Also the TEA rating per district. San Antonio itself has more then one district. On the north side of town (closer to Schertz) there is NEISD and Judson but if you are considering San Antonio along with Schertz you can use the county option and put Bexar County and it will pull all the districts within the county. You can check the info from there. I checked and Schertz-Cibilo-Universal City ISD looks pretty good!

2010 Accountability: List by District
Thank you!!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,690,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snd751241 View Post
My husband and I are moving to the San Antonio area from Owasso, OK and just wanted to get some insight on the best schools and neighborhoods. We heard that Schertz was a nice place to raise our 5 children and we are also wanting to know what would be a good school for our 16 year son who plays basketball to attend. We would really love to move into a neighborhood with nice homes and neighbors like in Owasso! Thanks!
Any way you can avoid San Antonio? Unfortunately,we lived there for 3 years (still have a rental unit there) and it flat-out sucked. I'll send you a DM regarding that city. Hope you're not "stuck" moving there.
"Homers" will be along shortly mounting their usual weak attempts at a defense.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 PM

Hahahahahaha! Everyone knew FCF was coming! He's worse than CFCs!

SA has pros and cons just like any other place in the world. Interesting thing is: there are more pros than cons in comparison to other places, particularly in the price range available here.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM

486 posts, read 868,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Hahahahahaha! Everyone knew FCF was coming! He's worse than CFCs!

SA has pros and cons just like any other place in the world. Interesting thing is: there are more pros than cons in comparison to other places, particularly in the price range available here.
I agree that SA has many pros. I've lived in Dallas, New Hampshire, Kansas and other places and so far San Antonio is my favorite...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio