Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
thank you. good links
Your welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Skeet did post some good links. Here is another page on one of the websites previously posted.

Who are the Victims? | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

Here are other websites.

http://www.childmolestationvictim.com/statistics.html

http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/ind...410&Itemid=336

Last edited by L210; 02-08-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,773 times
I have always lived in houses and most people let their kids play outside. Only a few mother (from apts too) dont let their kids. But that is usually what a neighborhood is for, for the kids to play. Mine are 5 and 3 and they do really well (but then again, they are learning to be more independant than alot of these kids). Guess it is just parential choice...but what I HATE about here is that others try to tell neighbors what to do......WRONG!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanmomma View Post
Guess it is just parential choice...but what I HATE about here is that others try to tell neighbors what to do......WRONG!
For me, it's a matter of where they play. I've have a couple of instances where kids come up all the way into my driveway to roll their bikes down the street. My hubby and I park our cars in the garage. I'm worried about that one of these days I will injure one of these kids and hope that they do move out of the way when I'm coming out of my driveway. I look and make sure and I am extra careful but all it takes is one instance that the child may be too small for me to see.
If it gets out of hand and are hanging out in my driveway, I will have to talk to the parents because I just don't want an injury to happen. If they play in the front of their yard or neighbor's yard, that's ok, they are free to do as they wish.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I think the age you let your children play outside alone depends on the maturity and intelligence of the child and the number of other kids your child is playing with. Something to be more afraid of is your children being molested by a friend or relative. The chances of your child being molested are high and it most often happens with someone you know.
THANK YOU!!! This is so so true. And there is a ridiculous amount of data to back this up.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Although my kids are now 17 and 18, I always let them play outside when they were old enough(5 yrs old and up). I did as a kid and I know times have changed. But, if they are playing basketball in someone's driveway or playing street football, chances are they'll be fine. Unlike when I was young and you could ride your bike 2-3 miles to another neighborhood and still not worry about this kind of thing.

Like L210 summarized, it's not necessarily the strangers you have to look out for, it's someone you know that you would never think would do that sort of thing. I do disagree that there a high chance of a child being molested. I think the media tends to have a field day with this sort of thing.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I do disagree that there a high chance of a child being molested. I think the media tends to have a field day with this sort of thing.
The chances of a child being abused by someone they already know is very high. Someone they don't know? Yes, there's a chance but not as high as someone familiar. Like with any other crimes, the incident rates are much higher than actually documented because many survivors do not report the incident.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Although my kids are now 17 and 18, I always let them play outside when they were old enough(5 yrs old and up). I did as a kid and I know times have changed. But, if they are playing basketball in someone's driveway or playing street football, chances are they'll be fine.
Make sure your kiddos know to be mindful of cars coming and going out of driveways and moving to the sidewalk when cars are coming down the street. My greatest fear is not seeing a child. Granted, yours are now teens but I'm deeply worried about the little tykes on their bikes speeding along behind my car pulling Evil Kinevil moves.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM

7 posts, read 10,742 times
We are in the process of building a home in a subdivision now and I can not wait until I can let the kids play in the yard! Like some of the previous posters, they will be allowed in the backyard with minimal supervision but, in the front yard I or my husband will be out on the porch watching to keep them safe. Not necessarily from predators but, our son is 3 and I can guarantee he would be in the road in a minute flat if someone wasn't out there with him.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
I do remember an incident when my son was about three or four years old. He was crossing the street towards our house on his pedal powered three wheeler when I saw an oncoming car going about 35mph heading towards him. I knew the driver would not be able to see him due to the setting sun, so I ran out in the street and flagged him to a stop. The driver thanked me, because he admitted that he couldn't see him. Pretty scary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio