Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM

206 posts, read 464,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
... go watch the movie Idiocracy, it might resemble the way the world is, in 200 years.
Ha, I think it's closer to 20 years away.

"I like money, we should hang out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 PM
SA5

60 posts, read 136,038 times
I think what's happened in this era of 150 channels on TV is that even though I really believe that there is no more danger these days for kids than when I was a kid a million years ago, we hear about it so much and believe it's a more dangerous world. I work with kids and find that they are becoming less capable of doing much of anything on their own because adults have sanitized their world to the point that they're bubble wrapped before they step outside the door. Let 'em play! Let 'em get dirty! Let 'em solve problems on their own!

On a side note, just read an article in the New Yorker (don't ever read this magazine, but was intrigued by this) about the increase in kids with food allergies. How many of us knew anyone that had peanut allergies 40 years ago? Following the advice of "experts" we have made our kids weaker and less able to even handle food.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,248 times
Well I'm freaked out enough to make my first post to this forum. I've been reading this thread tonight and clicked on the link given to the sex offenders database.
Imagine my surprise to find out that the guy who moved into the house next door a couple of months ago is a registered sex offender:
INDECENCY W/A CHILD female age 4
INDECENCY W/A CHILD male age 2

Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt45 View Post
Well I'm freaked out enough to make my first post to this forum. I've been reading this thread tonight and clicked on the link given to the sex offenders database.
Imagine my surprise to find out that the guy who moved into the house next door a couple of months ago is a registered sex offender:
INDECENCY W/A CHILD female age 4
INDECENCY W/A CHILD male age 2
That's terrible! But at least now you know.

It seems like they should have some system to notify people when a sex offender moves onto their street, an automated post card mailed out or something like that. Most of us check before we buy or rent a house, but then we settle in and don't think of checking very often after that.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA5 View Post
On a side note, just read an article in the New Yorker (don't ever read this magazine, but was intrigued by this) about the increase in kids with food allergies. How many of us knew anyone that had peanut allergies 40 years ago? Following the advice of "experts" we have made our kids weaker and less able to even handle food.
I don't think they know why there has been an increase in food allergies. You will note that in this thread, I have suggested that kids be allowed freedom within reason, I am not by any means an uptight parent. You can find my kids out playing in the yard (ALONE!) any day of the week. My oldest child also has a severe peanut allergy and we were told at age 3 (the last time she accidentally ate peanut butter) that any future exposures could cause a dangerous reaction for her. I do know adults with peanut allergies, but it does seem more prevalent today. My point is just that I wouldn't tie over-protective parenting to food allergies, that has certainly not been the case with our family.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Being breast-fed, playing in dirt, and being exposed to non-exotic pets helps strengthen the immune system. I don't see how that connects to letting your children play outside alone. It seems like being over-sanitary and not breast feeding is contributing to increases in allergies.

"Dirt Is Good" For Kids, Expert Insists - The Early Show - CBS News

Breastfeeding for a Strong Immune System | For Healthy Immunity

Pets and Germs Make Immune System Stronger

Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM

36 posts, read 155,192 times
I have 4 children. I would never let them play outside alone unless it was in the backyard which is fenced (privacy fence) and I have a patio/sunroom where I can see them. Other than that, my kids never are outside without my supervision. I don't even let them walk to the mailbox to get the mail by themselves. They also don't walk to school. I drive them. Yes I'm one of "those" moms. There are enough children being kidnapped on their way to and from school and plucked right out of their frontyard to fill up more than a few hours of news every night. We can easily find out that sex offenders are living right on the school route. As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth the risk.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times
Pale, socially inept, allergy prone, paranoid preschoolers...is all I can picture.

From the looks of some of these posts it makes you wonder how the majority of us ever made it to the ripe old age we are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio