U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM

258 posts, read 563,552 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are actually going to be going out with a couple of friends without the kids Saturday night. They are from out of town, so they would like to go down to the Riverwalk. What are some nice places to go to? Maybe a nice restaurant or somewhere to listen to music? I have no idea, since we usually have our children with us.
Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM

486 posts, read 869,188 times
Have you tried "Howl at the Moon" it's a bar with live music, dueling pianos and great ambiance. Across the street from Planet Holliwood. You better get early, though, as it gets very crowded on weekends. It has an outdoor terrace with great view of the River...

Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,273,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septgirl75 View Post
Hi,

We are actually going to be going out with a couple of friends without the kids Saturday night. They are from out of town, so they would like to go down to the Riverwalk. What are some nice places to go to? Maybe a nice restaurant or somewhere to listen to music? I have no idea, since we usually have our children with us.
Thank you.
I was ready to tell you a couple of places until I reread your post and it said without the kids. That left my places out. Still try Casa Rio.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM

49 posts, read 123,387 times
You might want to try the new restaurant, Luke: Welcome | Chef John Besh's Lüke Restaurant - San Antonio, Texas

The food is supposed to be fabulous and it's in a good location. If they are big meat eaters, you might want to check out Fogo de Chao or Texas de Brazil.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,169,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Still try Casa Rio.
It's touristy but I love Casa Rio and it's still there 32 years after I ate there as a kid on my first night in San Antonio. They have very tasty Carne Guisada.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,273,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
It's touristy but I love Casa Rio and it's still there 32 years after I ate there as a kid on my first night in San Antonio. They have very tasty Carne Guisada.
^^^^Yes they do. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
*Luke
*Bohanan's for steak (not on the Riverwalk, but near enough)
*Acenar - interesting Mexican cuisine, excellent drinks and ceviche. On the river, in the Valencia Hotel
I was going to say Pesca for seafood, but it's been awhile since I've been there and I see the recent reviews say they've changed the name and it's gone downhill.

I'd avoid any chains. Not that they're bad, but what's the point if you can get the same place in every city?

I'd also avoid Boudro's, tho everyone recommends it. Partly I don't like it because it's packed - because every hotel recommends it to their conventioneers for some reason. Food is good enough, but not so good to make it worth the crowd. Tables are far too close together to have any conversation or sit comfortably without bumping into the next table.

If you're willing to get off the Riverwalk a bit, head to Azuca. Lots of music and dancing to follow dinner.

For live music, Southtown is the place to be - try what was Casbeers and now has been rechristened....er, um, something cafe. It's on S. Alamo in an old church.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM

12,003 posts, read 28,241,968 times
We visited San Antonio this past week. We ate at a restaurant called Mi Tierra, near The Riverwalk. The food was delicious. They have an amazing bakery and make their own pralines. Yum. We were there at lunch and they had a live band that walked around the restaurant, while playing. I'm not sure of their hours because we were just visiting.

Vicki

Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM

258 posts, read 563,552 times
Have yall tried any of the new restaurants near the new extension of the Riverwalk at the Pearl Brewery? We tried La Gloria, but didn't care for it. I thought there were a few other restaurants near there, but I don't know anything about them, I just thought I remember seeing a few other restaurants, when we went to La Gloria.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
We visited San Antonio this past week. We ate at a restaurant called Mi Tierra, near The Riverwalk. The food was delicious. They have an amazing bakery and make their own pralines. Yum. We were there at lunch and they had a live band that walked around the restaurant, while playing. I'm not sure of their hours because we were just visiting.

Vicki
Vicki, Mi Tierra is a San Antonio institution - they've been there for decades and they never close...literally, they never close. They've been open 24/7 since like...1942 or something.

In my family, we try not to catch the mariachis' eyes unless we want them to come sing Las Mananitas. Or unless my FIL is buzzing and wants to sing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or