U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,619,150 times
Reputation: 12219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Simple as that....your overthinking everything.
You are overthinking my overthinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,202,820 times
Reputation: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
She's not "busting herself" to better herself. She's trying to get by on her looks. Super admirable.
isnt there a scholarship involved?...and Vera said her parents were busting it...not the kid. right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
5,142 posts, read 11,442,871 times
Reputation: 2505
Update to the story: Ousted beauty queen fires back - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,788,192 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
See right there, you kinda discredited yourself. If you had read everything, you'd know that this "Vera lady" is infact a man named Luis Vera. If you missed a small detail like that, what else are you not reading in forming your opinions? If you're gonna just write off an entire organization, that does plenty of good, over the statements made from one person, who has already stated that he does not represent LULAC in this case, paints you as a naive person and whatever regard I had for you or anyone associated with you is gone.
Nice strawman there... I skimmed the article, read the quote and responded. The fact that someone like that even *used* to represent a group does nothing but disservice to the organization.

Have a good one, your posts won't show on my view of this forum anymore but maybe others will enjoy whatever retort I'm sure will come. No great loss from my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I am not joking, I heard that this former miss San Antonio was late to her own press conference yesterday. Where there is smoke, there is fire!

But I guess she truly does represent most of San Antonio, a loud-mouth blaming others for her own faults, getting a lawyer from LULAC, blaming the Northside/Dominon for her problems, doesnt have a car or drivers license, being overweight, wants something for nothing, etc, etc.

It is embarassing, this the "best" this city has to offer. This girl is suppose to be responsible role model, not a pot stirer.

Seriously, the parents are to blame. Did they not anticipate this would be a big commitment on their part too(both in time and money), especially when their 17 old daughter doesnt know her way around their own city? How the hell is she going to get to College?

Both sides are being very vague on this chaparone & driver clause in the contract? Hopefully some emails will surface that will clearly show who is at fault.

I remember years ago a Miss Fiesta drove herself to our office building for a meet and greet. She was a freshman in college and she drove by herself like a big girl...and this was before nav-systems and google maps!
Post of the day... seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 AM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,173,291 times
Reputation: 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
In another similar article from yesterday (Clash over beauty queen title turns ugly - San Antonio Express-News), Luis Vera with the League of United Latin American Citizens commented:

“The way I see this is these rich, white Dominion types versus the Latinos who are busting themselves to make a living,” said Vera, still fuming from what he said was an unsuccessful attempt to resolve the matter out of court. “She busted herself to graduate and better herself, and then they do this to her.”

Thoughts?
Nice. Real nice. How is this not about racism? That guy is a pig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm just wondering,
how is it out of line when we don't have all the facts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I was guessing that it was something like that.

Some other people are like a HS kid that can't wait to start shooting ... their mouth off.

Yes, clearly, we need more facts. Because people just make assumptions about LULAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 11 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,135,787 times
Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
isnt there a scholarship involved?...and Vera said her parents were busting it...not the kid. right?
The original article says "She busted herself to graduate and better herself, and then they do this to her."

Thousands of kids across San Antonio are "busting themselves" to graduate and earn scholarships, even the ugly girls.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/...ly-1001840.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,814 posts, read 33,118,467 times
Reputation: 13587
The impression I have is that just like in most things in life, the pageant has rules. The pageant's side is that the winner didn't follow the rules after being told multiple times to do so, and they let her go. Instead of agreeing to follow the rules, it appears that she lawyered up and doesn't want to be made to follow the rules because, in her view, they're unfair.

I probably wouldn't have supported my kids entering something that had "unfair" rules, but I would insist that they followed them if they won.

I hear she was on WOAI radio in the 5:00 hour last night. Did anyone catch that appearance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
 
1,066 posts, read 3,176,482 times
Reputation: 734
Miss San Antonio Sues Pageant After Losing Title - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/26791549/detail.html - broken link)

And I quote the Former Miss San Antonio
"They're bringing up stuff from the past and making up stuff that is not even true," said Ramirez.

Obviously she is admiting to it. Yes they are bringing up the past, because that is what YOU DID! What if every criminal on trial used that as their defense?
Ramirez said she did bring her boyfriend to some events, but it was before she realized it was a violation of pageant rules and said she never held his hand in public. This CLEARLY shows, she didnt read or understand her contract and neither did her parents.


Ousted beauty queen fires back - San Antonio Express-News
I quote her again:
[LEFT]“I have shown up to every single event they have scheduled for me during my reign,” she said. “I have been five or 10 minutes late to some, but only because I didn't have a chaperone, which they did promise me.”

Again she admits to being late. And why didnt you have a Chaperone? I thought your boyfriend always went with you?



[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,173,291 times
Reputation: 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The original article says "She busted herself to graduate and better herself, and then they do this to her."

Thousands of kids across San Antonio are "busting themselves" to graduate and earn scholarships, even the ugly girls.

Clash over beauty queen title turns ugly - San Antonio Express-News

Including mean, horrible white folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,178,868 times
Reputation: 1581
I agree, if she is not fulfilling her requirements, strip her of the title and give it to someone who will. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 02-09-2011 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Use another thread to discuss LULAC. It has already been established in the thread that she's not represented by LULAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top