U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,922,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Maybe Merovee, it was the board of directors of this organization.
There is a legal contract involved thus a judge. If this was a simpler affair without contracts then perhaps...

Now the Miss San Antonio organization seems to have already defied the judge so he might not take a favorable view toward them at all.

Quote:
Vera obtained the emergency order from state District Judge Larry Noll, who set a hearing for Feb. 16 on whether to extend it pending the lawsuit's outcome.

But just three hours after Noll signed the order, the pageant issued a news release saying “former Miss San Antonio Domonique Ramirez has been replaced with the first runner-up, Ashley Dixon, who is now Miss San Antonio 2011.
Clash over beauty queen title turns ugly - San Antonio Express-News

Of course it seems that the organization has since backtracked.

And according to the organizer of the bridal show last month there was nothing wrong with her weight.

Quote:
Lari Nelson, who produces fashion shows as Nelson Fashion Group, also vouched for Ramirez and said she saw no problems with Ramirez's weight.
Ousted beauty queen fires back - San Antonio Express-News

If it turns out true that they were attacking her self esteem over the weight issue when she had none and making comments regarding ethnic food then most of this city will find the organization unfavorable as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,229,271 times
The reality here is, if she didn't follow what she was supposed to be doing, if she violated her contract, she's out. Period, end of story. It really doesn't matter whether it's a non-profit or not.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
The reality here is, if she didn't follow what she was supposed to be doing, if she violated her contract, she's out.
Thus a judge to decide if she violated the terms of her contract of if they did. Is it really that difficult to grasp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
It really doesn't matter whether it's a non-profit or not.
The only reason their nonprofit status was mentioned was solely to inform RGJ's claim that it was solely a private matter. Even if it was a private company the issue of a contract would still place it under the domain of a judge after all I suppose. All of these details are kind of boring so let us try not to bring it up again.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,843,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Domonique Ramirez is a size 2. Ashley Dixon is a size 6.
How tall are both of them? That makes a huge difference in terms of being able to compare whether one of these people is "bigger" than the other. From the pics I've seen if she's a 2, she's gotta be fairly short.

Trust me, you can't compare sizes blindly without seeing how tall people are; it's not like guy's jeans sizes with a waist and length.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 AM

11,169 posts, read 20,514,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
How tall are both of them? That makes a huge difference in terms of being able to compare whether one of these people is "bigger" than the other. From the pics I've seen if she's a 2, she's gotta be fairly short.

Trust me, you can't compare sizes blindly without seeing how tall people are; it's not like guy's jeans sizes with a waist and length.
According to the articles I've read, Ramirez is 5'8" and 128 lbs.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 AM

Here is a link to a KSAT segment that shows both Miss San Antonios, former, runner-up, etc...

Miss San Antonio First Runner-Up Introduced - Video - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/video/26811156/index.html - broken link)

...uncertain if Ashley Dixon was also a previous Queen of Soul, for 2009, who is also part of Fiesta Royalty?

If Domonique Ramirez ends up being legally stripped of her crown then perhaps she can run for The Reina de la Feria de las Flores, LULAC's own Fiesta Queen, but unsure if that also comes with a scholarship?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,189,142 times
Just to keep throwing gasoline on the fire. Has the Miss San Antonio board already advise the runner up to slim down in preparation for the Miss Texas Pagent? She is significantly larger than the current/former Miss San Antonio(I am not criticizing, just stating a fact by both appearance and dress size)?
While this may help the Miss San Antonio organization legal battle, since the former Miss San Antonio insists she was removed because of her weight. That argument is a moot point if the runner up is bigger than her.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,733,858 times
Okay this story showed up on the MSN page when I opened my internet today. They seem to be playing up the "fat" and "racial" card in the story and comments. My question as far as race is that when I google it I find that the last 2 Miss San Antonio America's appear to be hispanic with hispanic surnames. Is that incorrect? If not, it pretty much blows that angle away. Also, has anyone been at an event Miss San Antonio was at? Was she late, messy, hanging on a guy...?

As to sizes, yes they have been size up. A size 2 would be larger then it would have been 20 years ago--I'm wondering did they even HAVE 2's 20 years ago, I wore a 4 and I thought it was the smallest after little girls sizes. Also, firsthand knowledge, sizes seem to be more forgiving as the price goes up. When I shop at Macy's I'm a smaller size then when I grab a pair of shorts at Target. Still, I think at 129 even at 5'8" a 2 is reaching a bit...

Anyway, mostly interested in anyone who can tell me how Miss San Antonio (the former, the current????) conducted herself. Always hate SA becoming the joke of the day even if it's the pageant or titleholder they are laughing at.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,361,215 times
If anyone brings up race, ignore them.. they're just looking to bait you and obviously it works quite well. If you have the opportunity, ask them what race she is. If they say hispanic or something like that, then laugh at them and walk away because they're obviously an idiot...

Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
While this may help the Miss San Antonio organization legal battle, since the former Miss San Antonio insists she was removed because of her weight. That argument is a moot point if the runner up is bigger than her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Okay this story showed up on the MSN page when I opened my internet today. They seem to be playing up the "fat" and "racial" card in the story and comments. My question as far as race is that when I google it I find that the last 2 Miss San Antonio America's appear to be hispanic with hispanic surnames. Is that incorrect? If not, it pretty much blows that angle away.
While it may seem that the argument is moot and both angles are blown away the fact still remains that she was told to "get off the tacos". That comment alone strikes to the heart of both these issues, weight and race.

What if she was black and was told instead to "get off the fried chicken"? Would that be acceptable? I think not and neither is what was actually said. The fact that the executive director has a Hispanic surname or that the president describes herself as a "Latina from the South Side" really does not excuse such a comment.

For an ethnic comment to become offensive does not require that it be made from a different ethnic group and can be said from within. It is understandable and appreciated that not everyone will find offense in the "get off the tacos" comment but that is besides the point, clearly some have taken offense.

The fact that the person who said it and the person it was directed at are in the same ethnic group should allow those who are sensitive of race issues to breathe easy because it only concerns one group. It was internal racism and has nothing to do with those from any other ethnic group.

Quote:
Also, has anyone been at an event Miss San Antonio was at? Was she late, messy, hanging on a guy...?
Hopefully there is documentation to back up the organizations narrative if they wish to win in court. This would also require corroborative testimony from others involved but so far it seems the previous executive director and the organizer of the bridal fashion show do not agree with them at all.

In fact the executive director said she was counseled regarding issues which was standard in her opinion in that other Miss San Antonios also had the same issues. This is most likely what was meant by Ramirez when she stated, "They're bringing up stuff from the past and making up stuff that is not even true." That is that the former executive director already counseled her for those issues and they were rectified before the new executive director took over.

It simply looks at this stage that the organization is simply wanting her out and were looking for any excuse to do so. Regardless what anyone's opinion is all that counts now is the opinion of the judge.

Quote:
As to sizes, yes they have been size up. A size 2 would be larger then it would have been 20 years ago--I'm wondering did they even HAVE 2's 20 years ago, I wore a 4 and I thought it was the smallest after little girls sizes. Also, firsthand knowledge, sizes seem to be more forgiving as the price goes up. When I shop at Macy's I'm a smaller size then when I grab a pair of shorts at Target. Still, I think at 129 even at 5'8" a 2 is reaching a bit...
Vanity sizing also happens with men's clothing. For instance a pair of pants is labeled a certain waist size when they actually measure a few inches more with a measuring tape.

As far as size 2's I do believe they existed before but an actual size 2 was rarely carried as stock because the average woman was not that size therefore they would not sell. Now because of vanity sizing there are more size 2 labels but they are not true 2's.

As another factor the 1980's clothing industry changed the way they actually sized clothing from standard to catalog sizes which are two different size systems.

Just out of curiosity I am wondering why many women's pants now carry both European and American sizes. Is it because the Mexican clothing industry uses European sizes and stores are now catering to that demographic as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or