Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times

Advertisements

Martial Arts in San Antonio, has anyone tried it? Is there more than one location?

Does anyone recommend it? Please help me make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Krav Maga is an intense workout and a great thing to learn. Depending on what side of town you're on, there's another fight class that differs slightly from Krav, but not by much. Very cool stuff. It's at Thousand Oaks and 281 area.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:08 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I loved it! I did it at the Krav Maga Mega Center near 410/I-10 interchange.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
One of my co-workers is doing it at 410/I-10, she said she likes it a lot. I would like to do it, but I have a lot of other stuff on my plate currently.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Krav Maga is an intense workout and a great thing to learn. Depending on what side of town you're on, there's another fight class that differs slightly from Krav, but not by much. Very cool stuff. It's at Thousand Oaks and 281 area.

Thank you everyone. Do you know the name of this one?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Yeah. The gym I go to is the Kickbox at Thousand Oaks/Henderson Pass. Same shopping center as Lucy's Doggy Daycare. The owner, Denny, teaches the FIGHT class there in the evenings. It's a cool gym because you pay one fee, but can take any of the training classes at any time.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Thread revival!

I know Krav Maga is based on Israeli self-defense tactics, so it should be pretty good; but I am looking for firsthand experience from anyone who has been to either of the two San Antonio locations...

Cheers! M2

Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM

239 posts, read 442,347 times
I did a class once a few years back. Very very intense and good workout

Old 02-23-2012, 10:16 AM

581 posts, read 1,188,009 times
It's a good workout, that's for sure. I went for a a week or so when I came home. If there was one closer to me, I might have just kept going. There are the actually defensive training classes based on your knowledge and skill level as well a kickboxing boxing classes that utilize the basic techniques you'll use for the defensive courses. There are also kettle bell classes that were fun but a little slow for my taste. Also a spin class and as well as yoga, I believe. They're very good and fun but as I said if they were closer and if their salesperson was a little more forthcoming, I would be going in a heartbeat. i wouldn't go to learn the defensive stuff though due to my previous training.

As far as learning the defensive style related to it, it's very, very beginner, which is should be. I informed the staff of my extensive background but I would have to start from the bottom on up. Okay, fair enough. I nearly fell asleep. I knew the material and even taught the instructor additional information on holds that I had learned overseas. The instructor had just been certified and had been studying for almost 4 years. I have 14yrs under my belt so it was interesting. I know I'm being snobbish when it comes to it because my training background consists of actually training in Israel as well as a cross training in various other martial arts from Krav Maga, Kapap, Muay Thai, Savate, Silat, and Brazilian Jui Jitsu. As well as MACP, which is Army combatives. But in any case, they teach hand-to-hand, face-to-face, and weapons defensive to offensive safety techniques. Which is basically, if someone comes at you with a knife or gun, you can disable them and run away.

But my co worker, who I went with, loves it. She's been going for around a year and self admittedly had problems going to a gym and pushing herself to work out on her own. Since she's been there, she's gone down 4 sizes or so, lost weight, and has made a few good friends. There's a variety of classes as well as seminars that they provide, i.e. womens' only self defense classes, in addition to their regular courses.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times
Hmm...sounds interesting. Maybe I'll go and watch a class in session and see how it compares to Kenpo. I like stuff that is made for the streets and not for tournaments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio