U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,349,396 times

Advertisements

I know this question could have been asked on the Automotive Forum but there's no place like home to have one answered........

I'm more than likely crazy due to rising gas prices but I'm in the market to purchase a new pickup. I have narrowed it down to threee all of which are four door, Silverado, F150, and the Toyota Tacoma V6 PreRunner. I currently have a Silverdo Extended Cab.

Is there anyone who can tell me about your experiences with the Tacoma? Maybe there is another one , Nissan, Dodge, etc that you would suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 PM

777 posts, read 1,435,211 times
really depends on what you're using your truck for.

i'm not a truck guy at all, but my buddy has a Tacoma. i've driven it before and I must say that it was very plush and drove more like a car than a truck. it is probably smaller than the others on the market though. that's really all I can say. best of luck.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,280,148 times
Can't go wrong with Toyota quality and it's far better than the Nissan. GM and Chrysler anything are not an option for me because of the obvious reasons. Ford quality is also very good and getting even better, plus they're operating on their own money...
If you're looking for a good Ford dealer/salesman, I can DM you one that I just bought a 2011 Fusion from.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 PM

44 posts, read 192,399 times
I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Crew Cab which I bought new in Jan '06. Have >80k miles on it and it still runs strong. The only issue I've had with it are the silly plastic mudflaps, I've broken two of them but haven't replaced them since they're way too expensive (somewhere around $100 per).

I've thought about trading it in to get something newer and the trade in/resale price is still pretty strong (somewhere between $10k and $14k I figure I can get depending on whether I sell myself or trade it in to the dealer).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,349,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTransplant2008 View Post
I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Crew Cab which I bought new in Jan '06. Have >80k miles on it and it still runs strong. The only issue I've had with it are the silly plastic mudflaps, I've broken two of them but haven't replaced them since they're way too expensive (somewhere around $100 per).

I've thought about trading it in to get something newer and the trade in/resale price is still pretty strong (somewhere between $10k and $14k I figure I can get depending on whether I sell myself or trade it in to the dealer).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Are you pleased with your gas mileage?

I have "heard" but not confirmed it yet that the bed is a composite material. Although I have seen the Tacoma be I did not confirm or ask about it. I am a fan of Line X Spray in Bedliner's but one of their Dealers said the liner doesn't adhere. Do you know anything about this?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,150,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I have "heard" but not confirmed it yet that the bed is a composite material. Although I have seen the Tacoma be I did not confirm or ask about it.
Yes, the Tacomas since the 2005 model year do indeed have a molded composite bed.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 PM

5,620 posts, read 6,397,081 times
Quote:

I have "heard" but not confirmed it yet that the bed is a composite material. Although I have seen the Tacoma be I did not confirm or ask about it. I am a fan of Line X Spray in Bedliner's but one of their Dealers said the liner doesn't adhere. Do you know anything about this?
Yeah. The beds are indeed composite. Even though the Tacoma is built here in San Antonio, the beds are shipped in daily from Baja Mexico.

I see them coming in on trailers during my trip to work every day.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM

44 posts, read 192,399 times
Quote:

Yes, definitely. While towing a 22ft pontoon boat down from NJ I got about 13 mpg with the boat loaded with various boxes/bins as well. Total weight was probably near 3k pounds being towed. Typical mileage is around 20ish but I've been driving mostly local since moving down here, not too much highway driving on a normal day for me.

Yes the bed is composite I wouldn't imagine that a spray on liner would adhere to it and there'd be no benefit in adding it. The bed has held up quite well, far better than beds I've seen with liners (spray on or otherwise).

Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 PM

88 posts, read 247,613 times
With the price of gasoline exceeding $4/gal. in late 2007, I reluctantly sold my 2004 Nissan Titan Crew Cab, a wonderful truck but horrible gas mileage, and purchased a 2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner Doublecab. So far, with 55K miles, it has held up well and I am a happy Toyota owner. It consistently gets 20-21mpg, has plenty of power, has a comfortable and quiet interior - although the seats could be a bit more supportive on long drives (400+ miles), and feels solid in all driving conditions. The composite bed has given me no cause for concern and gets high marks for durability with all the stuff I have hauled.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:04 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,091,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
If you're looking for a good Ford dealer/salesman, I can DM you one that I just bought a 2011 Fusion from.
Say what? Is the Mustang gone? Or the truck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or