U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM

11 posts, read 20,354 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I received two traffic citations 78 in a 60 and unsafe lane change (I was actually trying to avoid an aggressive/drunk driver who had cut me off twice!) I explained this to the officer who was kind enough to give me the tickets anyway.

I have received conflicting advice from friends, and I am new to the area so I wanted more input. I of course want these to go away as cheaply as possible. I do not yet have a TX license, so defensive driving is out. I was told by one friend that going in to plead no contest will likely get one ticket dropped and the other will likely be a fine only. Others have said that castle hills PD and prosecutors are a bunch of jerks (surprise), and that its tough to get off of anything there. Their advice was to get an attorney to try to make these disappear. What would you guys do in my situation? If you would recommend getting an attorney can you recommend someone specific? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,032,382 times
78 in a 60!?!?!?!? Cut you off TWICE?!?!?!?!?! The BRAKE pedal helps you avoid drunks better than the gas pedal.

Castle Hills is tough. but it seems like you got what you deserved! Were you chasing the drunk?

Plead guilty and pay the fines.

Obey the laws in the future, and you will have no problems.

We have another poster here who always gets tickets, claims innocence, and claims the cops are out to get him. I'm sure he will post here, because he hates cops, laws, loves to speed, and feels justified for speeding. He will justify 18 mph over the limit, and tell you anyone with a badge and uniform is a jerk.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 PM

4,275 posts, read 6,660,684 times
It's not "speeding" if the speed limits are wrong.

In 1975 the speed limit on a certain stretch of highway was 55 mph. Today it's 70 mph. In 1975, someone going 68 mph would have been speeding. Today they are not. What changed?

It's a scam, pure and simple.

And the sad fact is, some people get nabbed like flies in a spiderweb. Sorry about that, keep3r. Best of luck.

P.S. No one "deserves" to involuntarily donate to incompetent municipalities that have the "good" fortune to have major transportation infrastructure go through their podunk town, not unless they were egregiously putting people in danger. 78 mph on 410 does NOT put people in danger. Although, this being San Antonio, where people do 40 mph in the left lane, perhaps I should make an exception.

Disgusting and atrocious. I am so sorry.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned

No joke: Castle Hills is a podunk municipality that thrives on taking advantage of its position close to major infrastructure. Perhaps take your acquaintances' advice.

On another note, though, did you REALLY think you needed to go 78 mph? I've been in a situation like that in Austin. It's disgusting that police officers don't pay attention to REAL danger like drunk/obnoxious drivers and just go after the "speeders", who are more competent drivers than the drunk/obnoxious drivers could ever dream to be.

Last edited by Bo; 03-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were referring to was deleted

Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 PM

11 posts, read 20,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
No joke: Castle Hills is a podunk municipality that thrives on taking advantage of its position close to major infrastructure. Perhaps take your acquaintances' advice.

On another note, though, did you REALLY think you needed to go 78 mph? I've been in a situation like that in Austin. It's disgusting that police officers don't pay attention to REAL danger like drunk/obnoxious drivers and just go after the "speeders", who are more competent drivers than the drunk/obnoxious drivers could ever dream to be.
yes to get in another lane away from her. A car was approaching from behind and to the right, so this was my opportunity to change lanes without her cutting me off as had happen the prior two times I tried switching lanes. It happened fast, and I was pretty freaked out by this point.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Yeah, I know how it works; like I said, it's happened to me before. The sensing of danger, the adrenaline rush, the trying to decide what's the best course of action: to speed up and get the hell away from them or to be patient and keep your nerves on edge. Problem is, podunk punk cops don't care about safety, they care about revenue under the guise of "safety". And then, of course, they lie about the actual speeds and yadda, yadda, yadda. It's a mockery of the Justice System. Absolutely pathetic.

It's sad, but true. Don't really know how to fix it, aside from demanding and using public transpo. Of course, if the other driver were competent and didn't do what she did, you wouldn't be in this current position at all. Competence on the roads begins with ourselves.

Best of luck, really.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,449,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep3r View Post
Long story short, I received two traffic citations 78 in a 60 and unsafe lane change (I was actually trying to avoid an aggressive/drunk driver who had cut me off twice!) I explained this to the officer who was kind enough to give me the tickets anyway.

I have received conflicting advice from friends, and I am new to the area so I wanted more input. I of course want these to go away as cheaply as possible. I do not yet have a TX license, so defensive driving is out. I was told by one friend that going in to plead no contest will likely get one ticket dropped and the other will likely be a fine only. Others have said that castle hills PD and prosecutors are a bunch of jerks (surprise), and that its tough to get off of anything there. Their advice was to get an attorney to try to make these disappear. What would you guys do in my situation? If you would recommend getting an attorney can you recommend someone specific? Thanks!
I hate to say this but Castle Hills is tough as others stated here. I can't tell you how many times I hear of ridiculous tickets given out in CH.

I doubt that you will be able to get out of both tickets but maybe one of them if you plead no contest. I wouldn't recommend getting an attorney unless you have tickets already and trying to avoid higher insurance cost because most likely you will end up paying more than just paying the ticket costs.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 AM

3,156 posts, read 5,195,490 times
Quote:
In 1975 the speed limit on a certain stretch of highway was 55 mph. Today it's 70 mph. In 1975, someone going 68 mph would have been speeding. Today they are not. What changed?
What changed is that in 1975 there was a Federally mandated 55 mph speed limit that was enacted on a National basis in response to the 1973 oil crisis, in an effort to reduce fuel consumption. It was shown that motor vehicles would burn less fuel when driving at lower speeds. That mandate has since been lifted, allowing States to raise speed limits on a number of highways and roads.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
What changed is that in 1975 there was a Federally mandated 55 mph speed limit that was enacted on a National basis in response to the 1973 oil crisis, in an effort to reduce fuel consumption. It was shown that motor vehicles would burn less fuel when driving at lower speeds. That mandate has since been lifted, allowing States to raise speed limits on a number of highways and roads.

That was about fuel consumption, not safety. Modern vehicles are very well capable of driving at quite high rates of speed quite safely. The current culture of speed limits and ticketing, trapping and harassing is just downright disgusting and is inappropriate.

The police force should be a force to be respected, not maligned and thought of as abusers and disgusting human beings. It should be about SAFETY, not revenue. Only dangerous driver behavior should be ticketed. Driving 80 mph on 410 to avoid a nut is NOT dangerous and must never be ticketed.

The current culture is simply unacceptable, that's all.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,171,634 times
Quote:
It's not "speeding" if the speed limits are wrong.
Yes it is. It's the law.

Quote:
ged_782 beat me to the explanation on the National Speed Limit imposed in 1974, but as for other changes I would add airbags, anti-lock brakes, crumple zones on cars, better lighting systems...the list of what has changed is long, and modern cars are several times more safe then they were 35 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio