Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 PM

260 posts, read 1,144,977 times

Advertisements

We're still pretty new here (only been in SA for a 15 months). We're about to buy sod. I heard zoysia and st augustine floratam were great in the shade, but which is better? Are they both green year round?

And any suggestions for who does good work around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
they turn brown in the winter (basically go to sleep) and I don't think they're for serious shade. My St. Augustine sod I just had laid is very brown under my crepe myrtles which are pretty much choking out all the sun..

I'll look for the car for the sod company, it was good stuff and this boatloads of rain was EXACTLY what it needed.. the two weeks after I had it done were totally dry and my water bill got up to $80 from watering it every day.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
There are all kinds of sod places on Bandera road. My neighbors bought from various places there and all of them were good. However, I would suggest that you wait a little and dont' buy anything until the Fall (late September/October). You want to not plant anything during the high heat days of summer because then you'll have weak grass. I know we've been lucky with the rain and cooler than normal weather, but I think the end is near and we are scheduled for some high heat (August is the average hottest month on record, I believe). This is also recommended by the grass books I have for the area.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 35,092 times
Default Bermuda?

I'm curious about grass as well.

Our developer is putting in Bermuda grass on our lot. We've got lots of really big oaks on the lot, and I can't imagine it will do well under all that shade. I'm also not particularly fond of Bermuda. Are there any nice - as in pretty and soft - grasses that grow in SA, or are they all fairly coarse?

I'd loke to put in grass that grows in blades and not rhizomes, but I don't know what to look for...

Old 07-22-2007, 12:36 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Bermuda and shade aren't two words that go together; your developer should know better.. Bermuda is great grass and very hardy, especially for kids and/or dogs, but it wants hot sun and lots of it.. Sounds like you need St. Augustine which seems to do best around here. I now have it in my front and back. It's nowhere near as soft as the grass we had in Michigan, but it handles the weather and that's how things are in South Texas...

Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,150 times
The St Augustine they have out here is a very coarse wide blade, I don't especially like the look of it. We have Bermuda and I hate it. It's sooo invasive, when you mow it it has brown patches no matter what you do, plus it does horribly under the oaks. It just can't take the shade at all. I really like the look and feel of the zoysia but I don't know anything about it at all, like how well it does in shade etc.
If anyone is wild about the bermuda though they are more than welcome to come rip it out of my yard for free, I don't want it!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,667 times
Try looking into Patch Perfect. It grows lush in shady areas, drought, high heat, etc.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
All gasses need sun and it is just a matter of how much. If you have an area that never gets direct sun it is not a candidate for grass at all. St Augustine is the most reliable Texas grass in shady conditions.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 AM

144 posts, read 686,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homew6kids View Post
I'm curious about grass as well.

I'd loke to put in grass that grows in blades and not rhizomes, but I don't know what to look for...
Rhizomes are creeping stems that travel belowground whereas stolons (or runners) travel aboveground. Some creeping grasses, such as Kentucky Bluegrass and red fescue, spread by rhizomes; some, such as centipede and St. Augustine spread by stolons; another group including both Bermuda and zoysiagrass, spreads by both ryzomes and stolons. They all have blades but of course St. Augustine's blades are thicker than Zoysiagrass. Also Zoysia is very comparable to St Augustine but have needlelike blades that can be sharp to the underfoot. I would go with St. Augustine to make along story short.lol one more thing, Builders are now required to install bermuda grass because it is a local drought tolerant. Not my favorite ny any means. Too much info to list sorry

Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Hey check out "El Toro" version of Zoysiagrass. My neighbors have been using that because it's shade tolerant but looks like Bermuda grass. Hope that helps. The nursery recommended "El Toro" to him and I checked the Texas A&M extension and they seem to like it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio