U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2011, 06:22 PM

10 posts, read 13,880 times
Default Medical Center Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwan.Reynolds View Post
This is my very first post.

My name is Antwan. I'm 25˝ Years old African American male with a wife and stepson. They were both born in California but I'm originally from North Carolina. I am very easy to get along with and easy going. Some would consider me to be the "Uncle Tom" type because I fit none of the stereotypes that are typically goes along with my race.

We are all moving to San Antonio from Fresno, ca in 4 weeks. My wife has been unemployed for over 3 years and she is looking to enter into a new job market to continue her search. She currently only has 1 year of experience as a Medical Assistant.

I have already acquired a job, San Antonio Phone Number, and an Apartment in the Medical Center area that we have actually seen in person. Unlike a lot of other desperate Californians that are looking to relocate without a job, I have actually done my homework well. This relocation plan has been in the works for 2 years now and its finally time to make that move.

After news got out that I am leaving, I am now the center of all jokes now. And they tell me things like "Theres nothing in San Antonio" or "Texas is just like California". From what I remember from my SA visit, it seems like it can be a lot of fun compared to the Central Valley here in CA. It also did not have a bunch of people in it that look at you funny just because you decided to look in their direction. That alone makes me not even want to leave the house in order to find entertainment out in the public. Another thing I cannot stand seeing is the percentage of people here in Fresno, ca living free on welfare while I work 10 hours a night and pay for my own Food and Insurance. I'm not going to rant any further than that in this post.

So I have a few questions:
How do I respond to people hating on my move to Texas?
Is the Medical Center a generally good area to live in? ( I only saw it during the day)
Does anyone have Grande Communications? If so, How do they fare against Time Warner with them being such a smaller company. Better Customer Service?
HEB Vs. Walmart Pros and Cons

Thats all the questions I have for now. If I think of any others I will post them later. Thanks in Advance to any responses I may receive.

The medical center area is great. There are condos right on medical drive for sale and rent. We will rent our 1bdrm condo in May 2011. Great place to live.
RG
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,081,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
When you click on the profiles, most of them give the age of the victim and the risk level.
OMG man you find some creepy people out though... we have the same ting in SC (probably an all 50 states thing) and it was a contest to see who had the least number of people within their area. Of course it turned to what do they look like, and what'd they do and yeah... gross.

Same thing when I lived in SA... based on their age at time of conviction and the age range of who they were doing something with none of them were your 18 year old dating a 16 year old types. Mid/late 20s with someone underage was way more common, and it went way downhill from there.

Quote:
also, one year experience in the medical assistant field? good luck finding a job in that field in a city where people in that field have 10x more experience. youre fighting an uphill battle there...
What about all the *thanks, career point! * people out there. They're probably working somewhere, right?

Last edited by scuba steve; 02-21-2011 at 04:39 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 06:56 PM

15 posts, read 9,809 times
I bumped this thread to let everyone know that I have safely and successfully relocated to San Antonio from Fresno, CA about 1 week ago. I drove for 36 hours with the help of 5 Hour Energy, Loud Music, and Plenty of Sun Shine.

We love the people here and look forward to becoming the best Texans we can possibly be.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 PM

2,261 posts, read 3,175,730 times
Quote:
I bumped this thread to let everyone know that I have safely and successfully relocated to San Antonio from Fresno, CA about 1 week ago. I drove for 36 hours with the help of 5 Hour Energy, Loud Music, and Plenty of Sun Shine.

We love the people here and look forward to becoming the best Texans we can possibly be.

Sweet! Welcome to town! Are you living in the med center?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM

15 posts, read 9,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Sweet! Welcome to town! Are you living in the med center?
Yes we are in the Medical Center. Its pretty quiet in this area contrary to what people have told me. My final remaining duty as a resident is to transfer over my License, Registration, Title, etc. over to Texas. I will get that done in a couple weeks. Definitely not looking forward to standing in line!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM

3,958 posts, read 3,986,032 times
Little known secret....you don't have to go to the DL office near where you live. A side trip out to New Braunfels or Seguin would likely save ya some time getting the new license!

And "Welcome Home!"

Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 PM

3,119 posts, read 2,736,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Little known secret....you don't have to go to the DL office near where you live. A side trip out to New Braunfels or Seguin would likely save ya some time getting the new license!

And "Welcome Home!"
I did not know that at all! What about renewing a DL or something if you can't do it online for whatever reason?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,979,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I did not know that at all! What about renewing a DL or something if you can't do it online for whatever reason?
I did it in Kerrville as I was working there at the time tho living in San Antonio (so would have had to take half a day or more off work to do it in SA). I was able to do it over lunch. No waiting. Had to change my name at Social Security and get a new driver's license. Excellent!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 PM

4,650 posts, read 3,559,801 times
I went to the one out in Universal City (since they closed down the one on Perrin Beitel) and there was no line at all. That was soon after it first opened, so I don't know if it's gotten busy by now.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,708,831 times
Quote:

Well, good luck. I can't say that you've moved to a great city,but it beats Fresno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio