Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times

Advertisements

Never buy fresh meat or produce at Walmart. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
All in all, I think you'll find SA is going to be what you make of it (as is true most places). We don't run around with our noses in the air - if you are as sensible and outgoing as you sound, you'll find yourself in the center of a bunch of new friends quickly.

One of the biggest things for me about this state is our ability to defend ourselves. Despite what you hear, this isn't the Wild West, but many of those you encounter own guns, and are pretty adept at using them. If this is something you're interested in, or just want to explore more, feel free to DM me and I'll be happy to help you get "hooked up" with that scene here in SA.

If you ride a m/c, you're gonna like it, too - we generally have about 10 months of good riding weather.

Perhaps the biggest thing you'll enjoy is the "live and let live" attitude Texans and SA exhibits. Treat others as you would want to be treated, and you'll find it returned 10-fold. Come here and talk about "how we did things in California", and you won't like the responses. Whatever you do, don't move here, pay a stupid price for a house w/o understanding the values here (especially compared to CA), and then whine about being "ripped off". SA real estate values HAVE taken a hit, but nothing like much of the rest of the country.

Welcome to SA!!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Cali's still expensive, though. It's interesting how one can sell a shack by the freeway in Northern California for half a million dollars and then buy a mansion somewhere in San Antonio. Mind-boggling to me, even today.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 19,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
We've only ever had TWC or AT&T U-verse, so I can't help you with Grande Communications.

If people dog on you for moving to Texas, tell them to shut the hell up . No really, just tell them you're doing what is best for your family and leave it at that. It's none of their business why you're moving anywhere.
I have had Time Warner before when I lived in NC. Fresno has Comcast which has poor customer service.
As for the haters, Its mainly co workers saying crazy stuff. 4 more days (Next Sat-Tues) and they will be out of my life forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Have you looked up apartment reviews for the complex you're moving into, police reports for the street or zip code, the sex offender database (since you've got a child to worry about), and the rating and reviews of your child's school?
As a matter of fact, I have. apartmentratings.com was a valuable resource in helping me apartments that were cheap but still desirable. It also provides basic sex offender data but I don't know how up to date it is. From what Ive read about the apartments history (Sundance Apartments) most of the bad tenants were evicted once the new management came in 1-2 years ago. They now require criminal background checks in conjunction with the normal rental history verification. Im not sure if sex offenders would be denied from apartments that do background checks but I am assuming so.

I haven't checked in on the school ratings. I did however contact the school to find out what information they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Cali's still expensive, though. It's interesting how one can sell a shack by the freeway in Northern California for half a million dollars and then buy a mansion somewhere in San Antonio. Mind-boggling to me, even today.
I strongly agree.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Police reports: crimebaseSummaries - San Antonio Express-News and then choose advanced search and enter 4600 Gardendale.

Sex offender database: https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...chType=Address

Elementary school: Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238 (http://www.nisd.net/schools/schoolinfo.php?tea=158 - broken link)

School ratiings/reviews: McDermott Elementary School - San Antonio, Texas - TX - School overview

Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
One of the biggest things for me about this state is our ability to defend ourselves. Despite what you hear, this isn't the Wild West, but many of those you encounter own guns, and are pretty adept at using them.

Especially when you're living in an apartment in San Antonio, owning a gun is a good thing.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Police reports: crimebaseSummaries - San Antonio Express-News and then choose advanced search and enter 4600 Gardendale.

Sex offender database: https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...chType=Address

Elementary school: Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238 (http://www.nisd.net/schools/schoolinfo.php?tea=158 - broken link)

School ratiings/reviews: McDermott Elementary School - San Antonio, Texas - TX - School overview
I checked all 4 databases and everything seems to check out pretty good (Not perfect but good enough for me). Its especially creepy when looking at the Sex Offender map. The closer you get to the city center, the more the Sex Offender dots increase in population density.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
As with any other database, however, it may not tell the "whole story". It could be guys that were convicted of having sex w/their underage girlfriends, etc. - so sometimes you might want to do a bit of digging if you see someone/thing of particular concern.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM

There will be many more added to the list as well for simply "Sexting". Most Sexters don't even have a Pedo mentality.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
When you click on the profiles, most of them give the age of the victim and the risk level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio