U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM

15 posts, read 17,108 times

Advertisements

This is my very first post.

My name is Antwan. I'm 25˝ Years old African American male with a wife and stepson. They were both born in California but I'm originally from North Carolina. I am very easy to get along with and easy going. Some would consider me to be the "Uncle Tom" type because I fit none of the stereotypes that are typically goes along with my race.

We are all moving to San Antonio from Fresno, ca in 4 weeks. My wife has been unemployed for over 3 years and she is looking to enter into a new job market to continue her search. She currently only has 1 year of experience as a Medical Assistant.

I have already acquired a job, San Antonio Phone Number, and an Apartment in the Medical Center area that we have actually seen in person. Unlike a lot of other desperate Californians that are looking to relocate without a job, I have actually done my homework well. This relocation plan has been in the works for 2 years now and its finally time to make that move.

After news got out that I am leaving, I am now the center of all jokes now. And they tell me things like "Theres nothing in San Antonio" or "Texas is just like California". From what I remember from my SA visit, it seems like it can be a lot of fun compared to the Central Valley here in CA. It also did not have a bunch of people in it that look at you funny just because you decided to look in their direction. That alone makes me not even want to leave the house in order to find entertainment out in the public. Another thing I cannot stand seeing is the percentage of people here in Fresno, ca living free on welfare while I work 10 hours a night and pay for my own Food and Insurance. I'm not going to rant any further than that in this post.

So I have a few questions:
How do I respond to people hating on my move to Texas?
Is the Medical Center a generally good area to live in? ( I only saw it during the day)
Does anyone have Grande Communications? If so, How do they fare against Time Warner with them being such a smaller company. Better Customer Service?
HEB Vs. Walmart Pros and Cons

Thats all the questions I have for now. If I think of any others I will post them later. Thanks in Advance to any responses I may receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM

15 posts, read 17,108 times
Thanks for the quick response.

I am aware that San Antonio isn't perfect and we really don't expect much from our "ideal" city.

Have you lived in Fresno before? Very depressing here and the attitudes of many of the locals are a reflection of that. The negative opinions I read on CD about Fresno and the Central Valley everyday just doesnt not compare to SA at all. I would move up North or down South if the cost of living wasn't so steep.

We have DirectTV now but will have to rid of it because the Apartments I'm moving into strongly discourage them. Uverse is not yet available at the complex I have been approved for.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,183,783 times
Hey Antwan, glad to hear from you. Texas is nothing like California. Don't let anybody tell you different.

If people hate on you for moving, then screw 'em. You have your reasons, that's good enough.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,711,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwan.Reynolds View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

I am aware that San Antonio isn't perfect and we really don't expect much from our "ideal" city.

Have you lived in Fresno before? Very depressing here and the attitudes of many of the locals are a reflection of that. The negative opinions I read on CD about Fresno and the Central Valley everyday just doesnt not compare to SA at all. I would move up North or down South if the cost of living wasn't so steep.

We have DirectTV now but will have to rid of it because the Apartments I'm moving into strongly discourage them. Uverse is not yet available at the complex I have been approved for.
Never lived in Fresno, but have been through it (and saw plenty) on business before I retired. Glad you don't expect much, because it isn't much. Yes, it's cheap. A lot of folks move there due to this reason, and they try to make it work. The vast majority of posters that start the "I'm moving to SA" threads mention the words cheap,affordable, reasonable etc. The quality of life in SA definitely reflects this on so many levels.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM

311 posts, read 746,580 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Anyway, I've moved many times in my life & have found that no matter where you are - at least 99% of your "happiness" is with YOU & not the place.
That said, we have been here about 2 years & there are many things we like about it It's not perfect, but no place is & it's sure better than Fresno IMO (My Grandpa lived there for many years).
Welcome & I hope you'll enjoy it!

Last edited by Bo; 02-16-2011 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were referring to was deleted

Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,653,571 times
Unlike everyone else, I shall attempt to actually answer your questions.

1. You tell people the same thing Davy Crockett told everyone: "Y'all go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
2. Some apartment complexes shall have bad apples, some shall not. By and large, though, it's a pretty good area. Crime happens, but it's not extremely prevalent as on other parts of town.
3. Never heard of 'em. Best of luck.
4. I'd say HEB would be more personable and probably closer than Walmart: it is for my family. Price-wise the two are very similar. I like HEB, but I'm biased 'cuz it's literally 120 seconds from my house.

Welcome to San Antonio and we hope you enjoy yourself!! Genuinely try not to speed, though, and ALWAYS pay attention to the speed limit in the local podunk municipalities (Shavano Park, Balcones Heights, Castle Hills, anything not San Antonio) many of the cops around here are absolutely disgusting and pathetic in their behavior. You'll be saving yourself a pretty penny & quite a bit of time.

BEST OF LUCK!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,339,292 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I've lived all over the world and San Antonio suits me fine for the time being. Welcome to the city... Hope you find it suitable

BN

Last edited by Bo; 02-16-2011 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were referring to was deleted

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM

11,160 posts, read 20,444,227 times
You'll like Texas. There are plenty of fun things to do in San Antonio and people are friendly here.

Are you sure you have a choice of Time Warner or Grande in the apartment complex? Usually it's one or the other. I've dealt with both...I've got Time Warner now and am very satisfied with the service. They don't do anything funny with the bill. Grande wasn't as reliable. They kept billing me for things I didn't want and didn't have, and when I would call to complain, they'd beg me to just add the service and pay for it. When I refused, they'd say I was late on my bill and shut off my service until I paid whatever they demanded. They made me buy the modem, and then they charged rent on it and made me return it when I stopped service with them. If you have to go with Grande, save all your paperwork and receipts, and check over your bill each month. Also, you may want to pay to have your number unlisted. When I had phone service with Grande, I never gave the number out to a single person (used my cell instead), and I would get 20 telemarketing calls a day.

HEB vs. Walmart...I shop at both. HEB has better meat and a bigger selection of food, with lower prices. Walmart is cheaper than HEB on laundry soap and shampoo and paper goods. Walmart often has longer lines, but the HEB stores near my house are so crowded that it feels like a chore to navigate them, and they can't restock the shelves fast enough to meet demand, so a lot of times I leave without everything on my list. HEB also has a bad habit of building nice stores in more affluent areas and not updating the stores in other areas to fit population growth in the area. The HEB at Babcock and Huebner is probably the nearest one to your apartment, but it's dirty, crowded and small. I used to drive a further distance to go to a newer, cleaner HEB when I lived in the medical center area.

Soviet is right about watching out when you drive through the little cities like Shavano Park. My husband and I used to get pulled over every time we drove through Shavano. No tickets, just warnings...my husband called it getting a DWB...driving while brown.

About the area...medical center isn't any worse than any other area. It's noisier, we used to hear sirens all the time. When I lived there, I was in a cheap complex on N. Knoll, and my next door neighbor was a drug dealer. My apartment got broken into once there, and my truck another time...but I moved to 281 and Bitters, supposed to be a safer area, and my apartment was broken into twice. Then I moved to a house this year, and the first month I was here, somebody was trying to get into my house in the middle of the night. So I don't know how safe it is anywhere...lock your doors when you're home and when you're not. If someone knocks on your door and you don't know them, don't answer the door. In an apartment, don't leave anything on your patio that you're not prepared to lose, and don't leave your laundry washing in the complex laundromat unattended or it will walk away.

Have you looked up apartment reviews for the complex you're moving into, police reports for the street or zip code, the sex offender database (since you've got a child to worry about), and the rating and reviews of your child's school?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,951,040 times
I've lived in the medical center area for 11 years, in a house with my sister, in an apartment with my husband, and now in a house with my husband. We never had any break ins or anything like that - I think it's a perfectly safe area, and it's super-central to pretty much everything (unless you want to go to some far flung exurb). It's convenient to downtown, lots of Starbucks , grocery stores, etc.

It's definitely noisier, just because of the sirens leaving the hospitals, and the helicopters landing on top of the hospitals, but you know. I barely notice it now. In fact, I quit noticing it after about a month.

I don't shop at WalMart - you couldn't pay me enough to shop at a WalMart.

We've only ever had TWC or AT&T U-verse, so I can't help you with Grande Communications.

If people dog on you for moving to Texas, tell them to shut the hell up . No really, just tell them you're doing what is best for your family and leave it at that. It's none of their business why you're moving anywhere.

San Antonio isn't perfect, but I really enjoy living here. I've been here nearly 14 years (in June), after moving from St. Louis. While I still get homesick (and while I still think Midwesterners are the nicest people in the country), I've gone and married a native Texan so I'm going to be here forever. I've made my peace with that, and focus on the things I love about SA - the weather, the live music, Fiesta, festivals all winter long, etc., etc.

Welcome to you and your family!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,653,571 times
I very much agree with Hedgehog_Mom & LindaGrace. This is a fantastic place to live. I didn't think so when I moved here 10 years ago from New York City (but that's because this city has no public transpo in the 'burbs), but it's definitely grown on me. There's tons of culture, history, things to do here. It's a great place! And I've met the most amazing people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio