U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 994 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I really dont know how to start.Well, maybe I can start by appologizing my not so good english.
We are a big family living in Scandinavia(Finland).Just an ordinary,us parents and then the kids ,4 girls aged 3,5,8,11 and the only boy aged 15.
Dad is working full time and I am staying at home until the youngest starts school.
We live in the countryside 10 miles from the capital.
At the moment we are living wintertime, tons of snow and temperatures lower -30`C.Spring is still far away, maybe at the end of april most snow will be gone.
The darkness starts at september, october and in december we have only 5 hours of daylight.

We live in a house owned by us, its appr.1400sqf, build in 1960 so it is very old.
There are 6 bedrooms, 2 toilets and a bath with sauna.A kitchen and 1 livingroom. The yard is big about 30000sqf.

I have been reeding your postings, mostly of Texas and SA, and sometimes it makes me smile when you write erything is so expensive .

I can give you a few examples of expensive living:
0,26 gallons of diesel(fuel) cost at the moment 1,31 almost 1,8D, if you
have to get gasoline it is 1,60/0,26G=2,05D

Heating oil costs 1,01=1,29D/0,26G.For example our home is heated with oil and it makes an expence of about 3500-4000 a year, depending of the winter.That is in dollars 4487-5128.
Then comes the electricity that is about 1500/year=1923D

If we summit these costs we are up to appr.7051D/year.

More expences :waste disposal is up to 600/year=770D

We dont pay for water because we have own.

We make monthly payment for the house 1000=1290D/month and we pay insurances for the house, car and ourselves about 2500/year3205D.

If we now put these together we are up to 23926D/year= 1993D/month.

WE DONT PAY FOR education or healthcare, they are taking from our taxes.

We are considered a middle class family, our incomes are appr.64-65000D a year.My husband pays 28% income taxes from each salary.

Food beverages are enormously expensive. 0,24G of milk cost 1,34=1,71D
For one bread you pay almost 2=2,56D.
Tomatos from Spain 3,33=4,26D/lbs
Domestic cucumber 4-5..etc

In our country it is very expensive to eat healthy.As we dont have so many places to get fastfood from we have to cook our own food daily.Yes, we have
halfbaked and ready frozen meels but they taste like sh*t.Sorry

WE ARE NOW CONSIDERING maybe we should start thinking of moving somewhere else.BUT, there are so many questions and so many things to consider.
We do know the place we will go to has to have a more warm climate than this we are living in now.
Educational issues regarding the kids are very important.
Maybe this all will only be a dream..who knows..
But Texas is our option number 1...
I am very interested in helth insurancecosts and what education costs, thinking of my 5 kids

But I hope we could find a family who could guide us a little. Im a person who isnt afraid of new things, people, places etc.

I gladly tell you more if you want to know.And i love to hear what you have
on your mind about Texas and especially on San Antonio.

By the way, Im 42 of age and my husbands a little elder.

So, this was Finland wery shortly and if somebody want to immigrate here I gladly tell you more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM

418 posts, read 689,425 times
At the outset your most important issue to address is going to be immigration.

If your husband can get a company in the US to sponsor him and
go through the associated legal expenses that will go a long way
to paving the road for immigration.

Getting the above to happen is going to be very difficult, unless
your husband or yourself has a very unique set of skills that cannot
be found in another person in the United States.

I don't mean to discourage you... but this issue does need to be
addressed first.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:20 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,157,873 times
Howdy HMC68!

Having moved to Texas twice from Europe (once from Germany, the second time from Belgium. I was in the US Air Force and stationed in those countries), I can tell you it is, as they say, "like a whole other country!"

I understand how the long winters can be depressing, I used to love the cold weather but since moving back here in 2005 have become very acclimated to the heat. But let me tell you, it is an extreme climate change--and will be even more so coming from Scandinavia--and takes some while to get used to.

But yes, the cost of living is much cheaper here. You can get a 3000 sq ft home for about $200-250K (maybe even cheaper at the moment) but the problem is that land is not the same. Large lots are expensive and not as common as the 1/8th acre "slices" in most developments. You also usually have to look further away from the city to find that much property.

Also note that because of the lower cost of living, jobs don't pay as well; but it is possible to live quite comfortably with a lower salary. Compared to Europeans, Americans have many more possessions and it is not uncommon for younger families to already be in their own homes and not living with their families as they do in Europe.

Overall, San Antonio is a very friendly place with lots to see and do. I would strongly recommend a visit before making any decision to move here. A week should give you a good idea of what it's like, both the good and the bad. I would suggest coming during the summer so you'll see how hot it can get. Plus, the tourist season means that all the local attractions will be at full steam; so you'll know how the city's like at peak activity.

Good luck with your decision, it takes a lot to make such a drastic change but many have done so in the past. I am a bit surprised at your disappointment of Finland, I've not been there but have many people from that country who always seem to love it. Also, it was ranked the 5th happiest country in the world recently. But much like San Antonio, I also understand it may not be to everyone's tastes. We've had a few famous posters on this forum who really hated living here, but I can assure you that the vast majority of people who move here love it! I can tell you that is the case with our family!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
It's a little beyond the scope of this forum to discuss health insurance, because it's a national political issue in this country. It's off-topic in City-Data local forums to go into detail about national political issues, so let's leave it at that.

In general, the cost of health insurance varies by employer. For "family" coverage, which covers you and your dependents, expect to pay a few hundred dollars per month. Sorry I can't be more specific, but insurance costs are a detail you will want to inquire about before accepting a job offer.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:26 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,921 times
But at the same time, insurance costs vary quite a bit from state to state, as that's the way the industry is set up now. Hopefully that'll change and it'll be an even playing field nation wide, but it's just not that way right now. We're signing up for a new policy with a $7000 deductible (family of 4) and are paying just under $400/month. This is an independent policy, as I'm self employed.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,709 times
I was reading over this entry and I have visited Finland and would have to say that San Antonio is quite different, but if you are looking for something quite different, then this is the place.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,709 times
Also, we should talk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or