Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 AM

186 posts, read 689,870 times

Advertisements

So starting about last week every day my back deck is covered with what looks like bird poop only it's black. Covered far more than I would normally find "white" droppings. At first I thought it was something falling out of my trees but I don't see anything in the trees that look like this.

I have berry trees in the front yard.. I wonder if birds could be eating that and then coming to the back and going because of the seeds? The droppings almost look like there are seeds in them...

Not sure what to do but it's getting very frustrating having to wash the deck, barbecue and patio furniture every day.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm in alta vista area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 AM

254 posts, read 547,965 times
I remember seeing white dog poop as a kid.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times
I think the berries are the source of your problem. I've experienced something similar with a bush of wild berries growing in the alley, and a large tree over the drive way. We eventually removed the bush, as this was a source of antagonism for my father.

I don't know if removing the berries is something you want to do, my only thought is to offer an alternative like store bought bird food. Maybe they will eat on that instead, or eat less of the berries so you will have less dark colored bird droppings. Is there a nest nearby?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 43,567 times
Default White poop. (LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
I remember seeing white dog poop as a kid.
That happens with humans as well. Nursing puppies and babies poo can be white. Also there is nearly no odor. Kind of makes me think that mothers milk is healthier than "formula"!?!?!

Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
About the black bird poop, this time of year it's the Japanese privet bushes. They make berries a couple times a year, especially if you fertilize, but this is one of those times and there's not a lot else for birds to eat this time of year.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
I think the berries are the source of your problem. I've experienced something similar with a bush of wild berries growing in the alley, and a large tree over the drive way. We eventually removed the bush, as this was a source of antagonism for my father.

I don't know if removing the berries is something you want to do, my only thought is to offer an alternative like store bought bird food. Maybe they will eat on that instead, or eat less of the berries so you will have less dark colored bird droppings. Is there a nest nearby?

I believe "wild berries" is a good answer. Do you know what kind of berries? I live in Mesquite TX which for all practical purposes is Dallas. (Mesquite Rodeo fans, please don't be offended! Mesquite is very much it's own city but honestly, the only way you know when you leave Mesquite and enter Dallas now-a-days is if you spot the signs! Grin) The point is this is very much a "developed" area, so no berry farms close.

I lived on the Gulf Coast for about 20 years and seagulls damaged 3 paint jobs! I always thought that's because of a high salt content but I'm seeing uric acid may be part of the corrosive effect. So, what kind of berries, and is black poop as corrosive as white seagull poop?

Old 02-03-2016, 12:37 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparh4wk View Post
I believe "wild berries" is a good answer. Do you know what kind of berries? I live in Mesquite TX which for all practical purposes is Dallas. (Mesquite Rodeo fans, please don't be offended! Mesquite is very much it's own city but honestly, the only way you know when you leave Mesquite and enter Dallas now-a-days is if you spot the signs! Grin) The point is this is very much a "developed" area, so no berry farms close.

I lived on the Gulf Coast for about 20 years and seagulls damaged 3 paint jobs! I always thought that's because of a high salt content but I'm seeing uric acid may be part of the corrosive effect. So, what kind of berries, and is black poop as corrosive as white seagull poop?
I'm sure it varies by area but this time of year in San Antonio the berries that the birds are eating are Japanese privet. I've got a couple of those bushes pruned into small trees, and my sidewalks are stained with black bird poop from the black berries. It's a really common bush or shrub...glossy dark green leaves with clusters of tiny, fragrant white flowers at the tips of the branches. When the flowers fall off, a couple months later you get lots of small black berries. The berries are poisonous to people and possibly to pets, but apparently not to birds. Japanese privet is an invasive species and it's also planted a lot here because it grows with no real work...water it a couple times a month, prune and fertilize it if you're so inclined, but it's perfectly happy to grow without being pruned or fertilized. You can prune it into a small tree or a short bush, it grows equally well either way.

The birds will eat the wild grapes too, and a lot of those are black, but this time of year there are no wild grapes.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
About the black bird poop, this time of year it's the Japanese privet bushes. They make berries a couple times a year, especially if you fertilize, but this is one of those times and there's not a lot else for birds to eat this time of year.
Thanks! Good answer. So this plant is both ornamental landscaping AND an invasive, wild plant.

Japanese privet was introduced to the United States in the 1800s from Japan and Korea. Throughout much of the southern United States, it is considered an invasive plant. Japanese privet forms dense thickets when uncontrolled, causing the death of many native plants. The plant is one of the seven plants listed as invasive and detrimental to the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park. When properly controlled, it forms into a small tree that is attractive in many landscapes.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:21 AM

73 posts, read 190,566 times
Cedar Waxwings.... Beautiful! Life is magnificent and messy! :-)

Old 01-27-2018, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 11,575 times
Default Black bird poop

I just discovered lots of small and large clumps of sticky black stuff with tiny seeds and when squished it produces sticky yellow stuff Most of it is on the opposite side of my deck from my bird feeders which have been hanging for a long time and I have been using the same kind of bird food and have seen the same types of birds but I have never seen this stuff before I don't know of any berry plants nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio