Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,938,959 times

Advertisements

I prefer to have my son running around the track after school, rather than getting into my liquor cabinet, or into "her" pants. What a pisspoor parent I turned out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,435,181 times
My link is linking to the wrong page, so here it is again.

U.S. Has High College Remedial Education Rate - FoxNews.com

Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
right or wrong, the way kids these days are writing on facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. is kind of unique. it's easy to point a finger at them and say "idiots don't know how to write", but if you dig deeper it's really a way they express themselves. In all honesty, they are really developing their own language. For some of us out there, we can't really understand what they're writing, but they can. Is that necessarily a bad thing? A younger generation finding ways to talk amongst themselves?

At times I do think it's silly, but let's not be close minded and look at what they're really accomplishing. It's almost becoming a code like prisoners use. Now laugh at that comparison, but then realize how much thought process prisoners use to hide messages in what they are writing...don't tell me an idiot could make up such detailed work.

but off topic, sorry...i'm with you sapphire.
I'm not talking about slang; I'm young enough to understand the slang. These kids don't know how to spell and they can't even write in formal settings. It's a struggle when I have to work with fellow classmates in college and I have to rewrite their contributions to a group project just so I can get a decent grade.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,816,507 times
Regarding the active duty military using the PreK programs. I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's just been within maybe the last 5-6'ish years that the military were even allowed/included in one of the criteria for PreK. I know we missed the opportunity to use this program when we moved here by about a year.

The schools are getting additional funding for having military children in their schools. Every single year I've had to fill out a form for both my childrens' schools for the schools to receive funding from the federal government because they have military children in their schools. And let me tell you, if I forget to fill it out and send it in, the school is calling me night and day to get that form done and will even "help" me and take the information over the phone. I have an opinion on this program, but will keep it to myself.

Go take a look at the NISD annual financial report. NISD alone received millions of dollars in federal aid last year because children like mine attend public schools. The last PTA meeting we attended--the principal even got up and said that my son's school (elementary) last year received about half a million dollars of this money.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,085,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
These kids don't know how to spell and they can't even write in formal settings. It's a struggle when I have to work with fellow classmates in college and I have to rewrite their contributions to a group project just so I can get a decent grade.
Hear, hear!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 AM

149 posts, read 432,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm not talking about slang; I'm young enough to understand the slang. These kids don't know how to spell and they can't even write in formal settings. It's a struggle when I have to work with fellow classmates in college and I have to rewrite their contributions to a group project just so I can get a decent grade.

L210-- slightly off topic, but here is a great video on the paradigm shift that our education system needs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFc...layer_embedded

Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
right or wrong, the way kids these days are writing on facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. is kind of unique. it's easy to point a finger at them and say "idiots don't know how to write", but if you dig deeper it's really a way they express themselves. In all honesty, they are really developing their own language. For some of us out there, we can't really understand what they're writing, but they can. Is that necessarily a bad thing? A younger generation finding ways to talk amongst themselves?
Maybe they are developing their own language...but they still need to learn English. I use it too when I'm texting (I still have AT&T, I can't afford to text whole sentences ) but the rest of the time, I communicate like a normal person.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,333,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Regarding the active duty military using the PreK programs. I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's just been within maybe the last 5-6'ish years that the military were even allowed/included in one of the criteria for PreK. I know we missed the opportunity to use this program when we moved here by about a year.

The schools are getting additional funding for having military children in their schools. Every single year I've had to fill out a form for both my childrens' schools for the schools to receive funding from the federal government because they have military children in their schools. And let me tell you, if I forget to fill it out and send it in, the school is calling me night and day to get that form done and will even "help" me and take the information over the phone. I have an opinion on this program, but will keep it to myself.

Go take a look at the NISD annual financial report. NISD alone received millions of dollars in federal aid last year because children like mine attend public schools. The last PTA meeting we attended--the principal even got up and said that my son's school (elementary) last year received about half a million dollars of this money.

I get this form as well, but it makes sense to me. I wouldn't be "burdening" an already taxed school system in Texas if the military did not move us here and if the military could actually provided adequate housing and schools for my children. So I think the schools should be reimbursed for military students.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post

I think it's wonderful that the Pre-K program includes military children. I was just pointing out to the other poster that not every child in pre-k is a welfare baby whose lazy parents are taking advantage of free child care.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi45 View Post
L210-- slightly off topic, but here is a great video on the paradigm shift that our education system needs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFc...layer_embedded
LOL. I switched colleges to avoid group work. Ever since I've started school, I've had to do all of the work in group projects either because the other kids wouldn't do anything or they didn't know what they were doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio