Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,709,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
No, RGJ, the schools in this area are not doing fine. SAISD has a 20% dropout rate and the Alamo Community Colleges are overburdened with the number of students who need remedial courses.
Here's my thoughts on that subject. Get rid of mandatory testing. Get rid of the mandatory algebra, english classes that deal with anything other than basic english. Get rid of the no pass, no play rule.

Make available more classes involving plumbing, welding, electrical, heat/ac, construction. Some kids are just not going to be rocket scientists.

And I think eliminating the no pass, no play rule would encourage more kids to stay in school for the sports/band/ROTC, etc and maybe along the way, they'll get the needed skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM

18,042 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Make available more classes involving plumbing, welding, electrical, heat/ac, construction. Some kids are just not going to be rocket scientists.
I've always been in favor of that,
as a matter of fact, my first electrical class was in 5th grade, then I took it again in 6th grade and 8th grade.

The problem.... a good teacher for plumbing, welding, electrical, etc, etc.
I guarantee is going to be more expensive than the other teachers, plus all the books and materials, labs needed to teach those classes.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,709,195 times
Then they need to enlist help from the local trade businesses so that each businees will sponsor a kid or two....

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Go ahead and tell us how many kids that graduate from HS can say that they were captains of any team.
I'd be surprised if it's more than 10 in any graduating class.
gawd, nitpick alert, it was just an example. Stop being so literal and fill in the blank -- chess club, soccer, cheerleading, basketball, baseball, wrestling, math club, art club, dance, etc. etc. etc.

sigh...the whole point is that all of these extracurricular activities ON TOP of the academics help students discover their own interests and talents and become a well-rounded individual who then is more likely, IN MY OPINION, to succeed in life.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
gawd, nitpick alert, it was just an example. Stop being so literal and fill in the blank -- chess club, soccer, cheerleading, basketball, baseball, wrestling, math club, art club, dance, etc. etc. etc.

sigh...the whole point is that all of these extracurricular activities ON TOP of the academics help students discover their own interests and talents and become a well-rounded individual who then is more likely, IN MY OPINION, to succeed in life.
Next time I'll put on my resume "Captain of the chess team"

Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Next time I'll put on my resume "Captain of the chess team"

we really, really need an eye-rolling icon

Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
we really, really need an eye-rolling icon

Old 02-25-2011, 11:26 AM

149 posts, read 431,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
It will be a bad idea to cut sports out completely. However I wouldn't mind seeing cutbacks. For example, my school spent 1 million dollars on a stupid L.E.D. Sign for the sports complex! Thats just stupid people got the same message from our old sign...We don't need multimillion dollar stadiums to play in, the ones we have now are very nice. As a player I would prefer new and safer equipment over a new stadium, which cost less. What N.E.I.S.D. did handling the money they got from the bond was just dumb. And there asking for more. Do I see this right cause it benefited the football team? No. It all comes down to misuse of the money. Don't take away from kids cause morons in the front office are looking to fill there own pockets, and agenda.

As far as the Teachers in it for the paycheck deal, your lucky you haven't came across one..but I have growing up and now as a adult. And if you didn't know we live in San Antonio so when your 23 straight out of school Starting pay of 35k a year is very good money and the seasoned teachers are making 60 plus a year.

To be Honest I believe the whole panic here is that these districts are used to receiving so much money from the state and jacking it off that when the state said no more they don't know what to do!

and when the people rely on the Government to provide when it gets taken away most don't know what to do with themselves but scramble in desperation and do stupid things.

I have no kids but if it took me to help and donate my time to raise money to save a sports program or any extracurricular activity I will. (I do it every year) By reading most of these post I doubt 80% of you posters in here will lift a finger (except blog and cry about it) Pass the bucket...
$1 million for a sign. Nice.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I think if you look at the sports picture, football brings in a lot of money. Other sports? Nope.

I'd like to see actual numbers on this. Pick a district. How much does that district spend on football? How much does the football program generate? Of the money that the football program generates, is it spent on covering its costs, or is the money spent on million dollar signs?
Actual facts and figures please.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Here's my thoughts on that subject. Get rid of mandatory testing. Get rid of the mandatory algebra, english classes that deal with anything other than basic english. Get rid of the no pass, no play rule.

And I think eliminating the no pass, no play rule would encourage more kids to stay in school for the sports/band/ROTC, etc and maybe along the way, they'll get the needed skills.

I agree that schools would benefit greatly from trade classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio