Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times

Advertisements

I was a high school (and college) athlete. I love sports.
But if push comes to shove, cut their funding. Why compromise the basics (or more) for something that just amounts to having fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 PM

75 posts, read 191,901 times
When my son was in high school, He was shy, overweight, and did not want to talk to anybody. One day, the coach came to him. He wanted him to join the football team. My son told him no but he came home and we discussed about joining the team. He decided to join. He did not made the pros but he had more self esteem. He lost weight and he joined other clubs at the high school. Sports keep kids going. During the summer, parents cannot afford to send kids to camp but with the help of the school system it helps them during school session. People talking about pay for sports. A lot of parents cannot afford to pay for sports. When my son played sports, I joined the booster club and I helped out where they needed me. Keep sports alive. Keep sports in school

Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,527,910 times
agreed. anything the schools offer should be offered to all the kids, not just the paying ones.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,435,181 times
It seems as if people are more concerned about parents not being able to pay for sports than parents not being able to pay for lunch. During this recession, not every family receiving free or reduced lunch benefits is a chronic welfare case. A lot of people can't afford private school either, but you still have people pushing school vouchers. Give kids vouchers so they can play sports at a community center.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,527,910 times
Just curious...are there any community center in the Nisd area?

So if we cut sports and other after school stuff, what will these kids be doing for their free time?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,933,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Just curious...are there any community center in the Nisd area?

So if we cut sports and other after school stuff, what will these kids be doing for their free time?
Many of them will be tagging, getting girls pregnant, experimenting with drugs and alcohol, vandalizing, stealing, basically doing what the kids who are NOT involved are up to. That's not to say that NONE of the sports kids are doing these things, but give them even more free time and watch out.

But yes, there are community centers scattered throughout the city. I believe the closest one to NISD is over off Callaghan/Ingram. Not very easy for a middle schooler from Stevenson or Zachry to walk to.

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Parks & Recreation Department

They have a decent program, but what happens when THAT funding gets cut?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was a high school (and college) athlete. I love sports.
But if push comes to shove, cut their funding. Why compromise the basics (or more) for something that just amounts to having fun?
How awfully fair and considerate of you.....you got yours, so screw everyone else. I see.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
How awfully fair and considerate of you.....you got yours, so screw everyone else. I see.
I got mine...in great math, english, foreign language, history, science prep...so that I could grow up big and strong and make the most out of college and have a fabulous career that helps people every single day...THAT is what I want everyone else to have. So you can shove it. Most kids who play sports will never do it past the high school level. But academics can take you *anywhere*. You know what's also 'fun'? Making well into the six figures in your early 30s. Financial security is fun. Making a real difference in people's lives is fun. WAY more fun than sports.

Back in the day, the community and local businesses used to sponsor sports teams. They had very little to do with the schools. Because many sports weren't offered in my school (until I moved to Texas), almost all my sports were through outside after-school organizations. Why can't we go back to that?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Your education speaks volumes when your answer is for me to shove it.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,435,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Many of them will be tagging, getting girls pregnant, experimenting with drugs and alcohol, vandalizing, stealing, basically doing what the kids who are NOT involved are up to. That's not to say that NONE of the sports kids are doing these things, but give them even more free time and watch out.

But yes, there are community centers scattered throughout the city. I believe the closest one to NISD is over off Callaghan/Ingram. Not very easy for a middle schooler from Stevenson or Zachry to walk to.

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Parks & Recreation Department

They have a decent program, but what happens when THAT funding gets cut?
A lot of kids don't even live close to their schools. I definitely couldn't walk home from practice, so I either had to catch the VIA bus home or get a ride from friends. If we had early morning practices, I couldn't even make it because there weren't any buses running. It eventually became so much of a problem, I had to quit sports altogether. I would say that I got into less trouble and my grades went up. The older girls on the varsity team weren't always the best influence and I barely had time to do homework. I'm not too keen on sleep deprivation which is how the other athletes managed to finish their homework from pre-AP/AP classes which is meant to take 1.5 hours per class.

Last edited by L210; 02-28-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio