Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Just because you don't think it's important, does not mean that it's not. As someone mentioned earlier, sports have been around for decades and did not/do not cause these deficits. There is a lot of fat up above that should get cut first, but it's just like in the real world......the ones up top are safe, let's cut the front line people. Typical, knee-jerk reaction.

And you really need to get back to us when you have children enrolled in the public school system. It's easy to sit back and say "get rid of it!" until you have experienced first hand how important sports and music are in the development of young lives. Try going to an orchestra concert at your neighbrohood middle school, try attending a basketball game, or a volleyball game, and look at the hours of dedication, both on the students' part, and that of the coaches. Even when they lose, the learning and growth that takes place over a season or a school year is phenomenal to watch.
Amen, sister! Tried to rep you on your earlier post, but gotta spread the love around...

Another band parent chiming in. Sapphire's right about how hard parents work in order to raise funds for their student's activity, be it band, orchestra, choir, or athletics. These programs present opportunities for these students to grow mentally and physically as well as give them a sense of belonging and camaraderie. Want to help reduce the costs, then find out when the next spaghetti supper/silent auction/fund raiser is and attend! See what kind of work goes into a spaghetti supper! Those aren't hired caterers, those are parents working behind the scenes! Go to the next silent auction...see the items available? Parents went out and obtained those donations! Try going to the next play your local high school puts on, or orchestra/band concert. Check the school calendar!

Then there's UIL, NHS, Chess club, various foreign language clubs, student council, other clubs not mentioned that receive monies from the school district. All of these organizations are important to the growth and education of students. Would you cut them, too?

One more thing, lets not forget to mention UNIVERSITIES look at what extra curricular activities applicants participated in during their high school careers. Not just the volunteer activities at church or in the community, but school activities. Students are not judged on their grades alone, and cutting these programs either locally or just in the state alone, would seriously hinder our students from being competitive in the academic environment once they graduate high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Here's my thoughts on that subject. Get rid of mandatory testing. Get rid of the mandatory algebra, english classes that deal with anything other than basic english. Get rid of the no pass, no play rule.

Make available more classes involving plumbing, welding, electrical, heat/ac, construction. Some kids are just not going to be rocket scientists.

And I think eliminating the no pass, no play rule would encourage more kids to stay in school for the sports/band/ROTC, etc and maybe along the way, they'll get the needed skills.
What mandatory testing are you referring to? The TAKS test or something else? There has to be some way to evaluate how well a student is learning. What would be your proposal?

Under the 4x4 rule, students have to have 4 years of math. If you eliminate mandatory algebra, just what are they going to take? Algebra is the prerequisite for the other math classes. College bound kids need those higher level math classes to prepare them for what awaits them after graduating.

What do you consider 'basic English'? Do you have a high school student?

Eliminate no pass/no play? So a student can 'goof off' and still participate? Wouldn't you think that a student that is failing should spend their time studying and trying to raise their grade instead of participating in a school activity? Kids are motivated to stay in the band/athletics/ROTC/you name it because they want to be in those organizations, not because of no pass/no play rules.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Students are not judged on their grades alone, and cutting these programs either locally or just in the state alone, would seriously hinder our students from being competitive in the academic environment once they graduate high school.
What's more important?
Good grades (have enough teachers) or good extra-curricular activities (have enough sports)?

Old 02-25-2011, 04:13 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
Quote:
What mandatory testing are you referring to? The TAKS test or something else? There has to be some way to evaluate how well a student is learning. What would be your proposal?

Under the 4x4 rule, students have to have 4 years of math. If you eliminate mandatory algebra, just what are they going to take? Algebra is the prerequisite for the other math classes. College bound kids need those higher level math classes to prepare them for what awaits them after graduating.

What do you consider 'basic English'? Do you have a high school student?

Eliminate no pass/no play? So a student can 'goof off' and still participate? Wouldn't you think that a student that is failing should spend their time studying and trying to raise their grade instead of participating in a school activity? Kids are motivated to stay in the band/athletics/ROTC/you name it because they want to be in those organizations, not because of no pass/no play rules.
I was primarily making reference to those kids that will go on to a career after high school and may not go to college. I'm referring to any kind of exit exam as a requirement. Graduate those that want to go straight into the job force. And does everyone need algebra? or 4 years of math? Even those not going to college? I agree college bound kids need the higher level of math. As far as English, I'm not sure knowing who the King of England was in the 18th century is important. Again, college bound kids may need, or want that information. Not those directly joining the workforce.

And yes, my older son(who played baseball) just graduated. My younger son is a junior and will be a two sport 5 letter athlete by the time he graduates. He's also an A-B student. Some kids are motivated by sports to simply stay in school. If they learn a trade along the way, then we are'll better off than if those kids just drop out. And I don't believe you should deny a kid the opportunity to receive an athletic scholarship because he doesn't understand or pass algebra or some other course he'll never use. That was my point on the no pass/no play rule.

Last edited by RGJ; 02-25-2011 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,786 times
There are trade classes in high schools. I know at our elective night recently I saw classes such as Business/Finance/Money Management, auto mechanics, hotel and restaurant management, gourmet/chef related classes, tools, engineering/computer classes, medical/health related classes, education/teaching etc.

Cut that budget and will the schools be able to keep them?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I was primarily making reference to those kids that will go on to a career after high school and may not go to college. I'm referring to any kind of exit exam as a requirement. Graduate those that want to go straight into the job force. And does everyone need algebra? or 4 years of math? Even those not going to college? I agree college bound kids need the higher level of math. As far as English, I'm not sure knowing who the King of England was in the 18th century is important. Again, college bound kids may need, or want that information. Not those directly joining the workforce.

And yes, my older son(who played baseball) just graduated. My younger son is a junior and will be a two sport 5 letter athlete by the time he graduates. He's also an A-B student. Some kids are motivated by sports to simply stay in school. If they learn a trade along the way, then we are'll better off than if those kids just drop out. And I don't believe you should deny a kid the opportunity to receive an athletic scholarship because he doesn't understand or pass algebra or some other course he'll never use. That was my point on the no pass/no play rule.
You do not learn about the King of England in English class; you work on comprehension and analytical skills in high school English classes. Besides that, I do agree with you. High schools should concentrate more on graduating students who are trained in a trade. ACCD is looking at steering those who need a lot of remedial courses to vocational training.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What's more important?
Good grades (have enough teachers) or good extra-curricular activities (have enough sports)?
You took my comments out of context. It wasn't a situation of good grades vs good extra-curricular activities. I was referring to the fact that college bound students need to have a mix of both to be considered by the admissions boards. What I said was:

Quote:
One more thing, lets not forget to mention UNIVERSITIES look at what extra curricular activities applicants participated in during their high school careers. Not just the volunteer activities at church or in the community, but school activities. Students are not judged on their grades alone, and cutting these programs either locally or just in the state alone, would seriously hinder our students from being competitive in the academic environment once they graduate high school.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
You took my comments out of context. It wasn't a situation of good grades vs good extra-curricular activities. I was referring to the fact that college bound students need to have a mix of both to be considered by the admissions boards. What I said was:
I completely understand and support kids having a perfectly rounded education (math, english, sports, trade classes, etc).
But as somebody mentioned earlier "we are in a crisis" and my point is that every school should make a list of priorities and start cutting from the bottom up.

But it seems as if some people love to "cut wasteful spending" until it comes to cutting something that they like (their sacred cow)

Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
But it seems as if some people love to "cut wasteful spending" until it comes to cutting something that they like (their sacred cow)
Well said. I totally agree with you there.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:06 PM

288 posts, read 926,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
So you're working at the school and sitting there judging people for using the pre-k program? I really hope you're not the teacher.
Oh my goodness, don't try so hard to come up with something off the topic. You apparently support K4, I don't in every instance. And you would be lucky if I were you child's teacher. I loved my students, it's not their fault some of their parents are low lifes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio