Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
The one issue you will need to consider is property tax. Since TX has no income tax the property taxes are higher. We're renting right now having just moved back, but our Stone Oak house last year was $4000 annual for a value around $175K--and for comparison the house was 2200 sf, brick/stucco/cedar siding, detached garage, .27 acres and 23 yrs old so it's much more then you can get in most states for the price even with the property tax issue!
One thing to keep in mind is that if you actually owned that house, and it serves as your principal residence, you could claim a Homestead exemption on your taxes, and pay a slightly lower rate. Your landlord can't do that, and has to pay the full rate. Of course if you rent, you are still paying expenses, like property taxes, indirectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 AM

15 posts, read 23,774 times
Default schertz vs alamo heights

I have experience with both school districts with my children, and I can say that Alamo Heights has a far superior curriculum. We moved to a farm east of town off of Interstate 10, and our district is Schertz Cibolo. They build very large good looking schools, but then cut out things like visual arts, and PE at lower grades is not offered daily. Alamo Heights has endowments much like a private school to keep their curriculum enriched with like an endowed strings position starting in 4th grade, bringing the latest equipment to science labs, etc.

Anyone who tells you to commute on 35 south *or* 281 south during the morning is not your friend. I would look in the east Alamo Heights so you can take Rittemin to 410 south in the morning to 10 for Randolph, or 78 as some have suggested. From this area Fort Sam is just South, you can take local streets easily. This goes against the flow of traffic in the morning.

The Traffic on the Northside to commute down Fort Sam down 281 is horrendous, and the schools do not promise home campus and are making many cuts. The traffic From Schertz into S.A. (south) via 35 is equally horrendous.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
The people who bought our house in Stone Oak are Army so are making the commute to Ft. Sam. I know many people out here that make the commute all the way to Lackland--but they think it's worth it for schools and community. As I mentioned my husband drives PAST Randolph. I wasn't trying to be NOT A FRIEND but to give my personal experience--yeah 281 isn't fun but it's relative to what you've experienced before.

I have friends in Heights but it's not for everyone, it's not for me as I don't like expensive older homes. Just wanted to give information--including approximate drive times--based on what I know firsthand. On the other hand you couldn't PAY me to drive 35 during rush hour--scares me out of my mind!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 11,002 times
Speaking for Windcrest the 20 MPH speed limit is for safety. Crestway Drive is getting very busy with morning and afternoon traffic from I-35 and 410 passing trough the city. The streets in Windcrest are residential streets with children playing, people walking pets, and residents driving into and backing out of driveways. Imagine yourself having to back out of your driveway during rush hour traffic with a speed limit of 30-35 MPH. THAT is what we deal with now, hence all the speeding tickets given out. If they raise the speed limit to 30-35 MPH then we will have people driving 40-45 MPH! Like the situation is now, many people will not obey and drive 5-10 miles per hour faster then posted speed limit. I just wish there where more Windcrest police to monitor Eaglecrest and Crestway 24/7.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 PM

21 posts, read 38,951 times
A lot of info to take in, but it is looking like San Antonio will be the winner in our relocation. Working with USAA to look at homes now, though I will likely move out ahead of my husband and kids, then the kids will come out a couple of months later, once I secure a house and my husband when he retires. No matter what it will be a big change for us, coming from a town of 20,000 and driving only 7 miles to work every morning. However, I am willing to commute if it means better schools for my kids and the house we really want to live in. I will take all the suggestions into consideration as I narrow our choices down.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Another question, as I just got to San Antonio yesterday (yay, me!) - what "time" is considered the morning rush hours? I.e. 7-9, etc. I have some flexibility in my work hours, so I could set my hours to be at work at 7 am and avoid rush hour in the morning if I am leaving at 615 or 630, of course depending on where we get a house. May even be able to avoid it in the afternoon if I work 8 hr days, but would much rather avoid it in the mornings and avoid being late to work. I start on Monday, so will have to make my mind up by then what hours I want to set.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM

584 posts, read 1,192,815 times
I live in Canyon Springs (behind Stone Oak) and I normally leave my house by 6:15 am to go to work (USAA) to avoid traffic. Times that I leave in the 7 am hour there is much more traffic and of course I hate it since I am so used to not having traffic at all when going to work in the 6 am hour.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Thank you for the reply. I am going to see about setting my hours coming in at 7 am. Currently I am renting a short term place in Alamo Heights and the drive won't be bad at all to Ft. Sam, from what I have experienced so far, but unfortunately the area is out of our price range for buying. (I love the neighborhood though!) The two homes that have the most possibility so far for us are in different areas, one at Bulverde Village (I believe) and the other in Cibolo, but the drive seemed to be pretty equal when I tested it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio