Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 PM

502 posts, read 934,299 times

Advertisements

your only gonna have "drug" related issues if you put yourself in it..its not like there shooting up random neighborhoods and stores here like in mexico..so stop watching the news and live your happy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
This is certainly heartening to know we have nothing to fear. Even in Austin, the PD admits it has a cartel problem.

It appears that SA is in the same situation that we experienced after Hurricane Katrina. Houston kept crime numbers to identify the crimes that the evacuees committed; San Antonio said there was no problem.
So I guess it's some huge conspiracy and all the drug cartel acts being carried on in this city are magically hidden from everyone's attention...

I never said there wasn't a drug problem here, but there sure as hell isn't anywhere near the same level of cartel violence that is going on in Mexico and along our border!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
This is certainly heartening to know we have nothing to fear. Even in Austin, the PD admits it has a cartel problem.
Same thing can be said about any city North of Texas.
I'd feel safer in Laredo than in Chicago or Detroit.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'd feel safer in Laredo than in Chicago or Detroit.
Then you don't go there often. I've embargoed any further business trips to the border cities (north or south of the river) because of security concerns - and bear in mind that I travel armed. It's not paranoia - it's acknowledgement that the situation is far out of hand right now. It's not that I'm involved in the dealings - it's that you can be in the proximity of them and become "collateral damage" in a heartbeat.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
So I guess it's some huge conspiracy and all the drug cartel acts being carried on in this city are magically hidden from everyone's attention...

I never said there wasn't a drug problem here, but there sure as hell isn't anywhere near the same level of cartel violence that is going on in Mexico and along our border!
Ten year's ago there was little violence in Mexico. Last year, Juarez, alone, has more killed there than all our troops killed in Afganistan.

There is a war going on and the cartels have assets that are already in south Texas for it to spill here.

A weak response from the administration is all that is required.

Just because the grafitti is not on houses in your block but the neighborhood over does not mean you are safe, just not yet targeted.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Given that El Paso is still considered the safest city in the US and is just a hop, skip, and jump from Ciudad Juarez, a city which has seen the worst of the drug cartel violence in Mexico, with very occasional spill over, I'd say San Antonio isn't a problem.

Sure, there's the potential for drug violence, but more from local gangs. It's not on a par with Matamoros or Juarez. More similarity to other US cities.

As for other border towns, I was regularly travelling to Del Rio and Eagle Pass, with zero concerns (both Piedras Negras and Acuna have had very little drug violence). So I wouldn't paint all border towns with the same brush. I'd have no qualms about travelling to any other border towns on the US side, though I will avoid Nuevo Laredo and some other towns on the Mexican side, but then I have no reason to go and they're not that interesting to visit anyway.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Given that El Paso is still considered the safest city in the US and is just a hop, skip, and jump from Ciudad Juarez, a city which has seen the worst of the drug cartel violence in Mexico, with very occasional spill over, I'd say San Antonio isn't a problem.
Wow! El Paso is considered safe? I did some searching and it appears that that claim has been shot down. Here's a quote:

"The chairwoman of the United States Conference of Mayors Criminal and Social Justice Committee, Houston Mayor Annise Parker, said on Monday in a statement: "These rankings represent a gross misuse of FBI data. ... Everyone with the slightest knowledge of this issue knows the rankings are not credible."

Criminologist Dr. Richard Rosenfeld agrees with that statement."

But......living on the border town near Brownsville for a while, it has been relatively safe and I can't think of any major murders in recent years.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Human trafficking is quite real and our city being on 35 is no doubt a hub, while our society and state by extension are ill-equipped to deal with the issue of human trafficking.

Law enforcement and the judicial system might not even recognize victims and process them as prostitution cases and/or immigration violations.

Unsure who is involved but I would suspect cartels would more likely have a hand in this than Mayor Castro.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Human trafficking is quite real and our city being on 35 is no doubt a hub, while our society and state by extension are ill-equipped to deal with the issue of human trafficking.

Law enforcement and the judicial system might not even recognize victims and process them as prostitution cases and/or immigration violations.

Unsure who is involved but I would suspect cartels would more likely have a hand in this than Mayor Castro.
Hmm.. Yes. Human trafficking is quite real, but not in the magnitude this person is talking about.
Law enforcement?? My first cousin is an A.T.F. agent, has been for many years and at one point, his duty was to track human trafficking. Yes, he was undercover, long ponytail, fake tattoos, beard, 1981 camaro, and his job was to make contact in the interior of Mexico.. Thats all he will tell about it, although not to the magnitude of what was just posted.
Cartels focus are interior Mexican borders, shot gun drivers entering U.S. border.. Not no where near where we live. Thats not to say they are amongst us, but not to the magnitude as described..

Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 PM

502 posts, read 934,299 times
Lol the cartel is here and has been here! San Antonio has been the hub for the drug cartel for years! The super highway runs from here all the way up to Chicago! And no they are not in the hood there everywhere. Don't snoop don't snitch you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio