U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,713,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
don't forget Van's on broadway too. Mencius (sp) in the medical center is good too (for lunch).
Van's IS good! But a mix of Chinese/Vietnamese style.....awesome noodle bowls....and again also crowded at lunch. Another one to get there early!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,415,436 times
oh, I forgot: Boston Subworks on Nakoma @ West Ave. More Boston than Philly (think steak "bomb"-the works)

Old 07-24-2007, 02:26 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,295,799 times
Isn't there still a Dunkin Donuts at hamburger hill (90 and Military) by Lackland? I hope so, I go there at least a couple times per year. Was gonna pick up some on Sunday, but spent too much time at the commisary and didn't feel like being out anymore.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Isn't there still a Dunkin Donuts at hamburger hill (90 and Military) by Lackland? I hope so, I go there at least a couple times per year. Was gonna pick up some on Sunday, but spent too much time at the commisary and didn't feel like being out anymore.
Yes, it's the only one left. However, I have found that they aren't "up to par" with DD elsewhere. Growing up in the hometown of DD, where there is by law one at least every 200 yards, I love my DD! For those of us in the NC part of town, it is a 45 min+ trek over there, however...

BTW, it is the COFFEE that I love so...

Old 07-24-2007, 04:41 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,295,799 times
well, they're definitely better than krispy kreme. I much prefer a cake donut over the whatever a krispy kreme is.. debating on whether or not I really want some tonight, especially with the nearly pitch black sky out right now...

Old 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,341,690 times
OK...I am going to get TOTALLY BASHED for this, but I have to tell you, I think that Philly Cheesesteak sandwichs are a "grew up on them" kind of love. My first 3 trips to Philly included MAJOR quest for the "often talked about, imitated but NEVER duplicated" grand slam cheesesteak sand. Well, after going to Pats, and then next trip Ginos and then next time some place downtown (on the corner with a HUGE line out the door, retro diner type of red/black/chrome place that you go upstairs to eat at little tables and it has EVERONE who has ever been ANYONE's pic on the wall)...we left wondering what all the hype is about??? Guess it is like growing up here on "Big Red"...everyone that grows up here LOVES them and all the "got heres" wonder WHAT THE HECK IS THIS JUNK!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
OK...I am going to get TOTALLY BASHED for this, but I have to tell you, I think that Philly Cheesesteak sandwichs are a "grew up on them" kind of love. My first 3 trips to Philly included MAJOR quest for the "often talked about, imitated but NEVER duplicated" grand slam cheesesteak sand. Well, after going to Pats, and then next trip Ginos and then next time some place downtown (on the corner with a HUGE line out the door, retro diner type of red/black/chrome place that you go upstairs to eat at little tables and it has EVERONE who has ever been ANYONE's pic on the wall)...we left wondering what all the hype is about??? Guess it is like growing up here on "Big Red"...everyone that grows up here LOVES them and all the "got heres" wonder WHAT THE HECK IS THIS JUNK!
My hubby would agree with you, and he grew up in DC! I, myself prefer the Boston steak bomb with everything.

From what I understand, the bread has a lot to do with the taste. But yes, it's probably a "comfort" type of thing

Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 PM

80 posts, read 358,213 times
Second the recommendation for Hung Fong.
I have also had trouble finding good Chinese in town too, but can say that these guys are really good and reasonably priced.
SAeats.com - Hung Fong (http://www.saeats.com/saeats/action/search/viewRestaurant.do?restaurantid=53&trail=Home,Find% 20by%20Restaurant%20Name&cs_keys=115,173,174,156,1 62&cs_values=1,1,1,1,1&trailDepth=2&keywords=hung& for=restaurant - broken link)

Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM

47 posts, read 182,349 times
I moved here from Merion/Philly in March 2007!

What I really miss is the Thai food at Reading Market!

How about China Latina in King William for Chinese? I haven't found a good cheesesteak place yet though...

Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 PM

443 posts, read 1,359,283 times
has anyone tried the newly opened genghis grill at 1604/281 near boston pizza? just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio