Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times

Advertisements

You're welcome, Steel Man. I know I posted about this but it seems to have disappeared! But I'm glad YOU saw it & realize how much you're appreciated.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:49 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Thumbs up From Cali and NOT offended either

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
Texasdreamin', I understand Lifertexan's point, because it has happened to a degree here, too. The point isn't that Californians are bad, the point is that the price of houses in CA is so EXTREMELY out of synch with most other areas of the country. That's one of the primary beefs of Californians themselves, and one of the main reasons they want to move!

So someone moving from Iowa or Tennesee isn't going to drive up prices significantly, because there's not that huge a difference. An influx of North Carolinians does not put the same pressures on housing prices that an influx from California does. Someone moving who's sold their house in CA thinks $300,000 is a real steal, so the developers charge accordingly. That's not a statement of fault on the part of those Californians (I'm sure they're wonderful folks), it's just the reality of the market.

That's not to say that Californians are bad, or that it's the ONLY pressure driving prices up. But it's foolish to not recognize that people moving from an area where they can sell and make half a million on a very average small house is going to be a unique upward pressure on prices, more so than those from other states.

It doesn't seem to me, reading through this thread, that Lifertexan meant it as a slur on all Californians, or took the position that Californians shouldn't move to Texas. He was just observing the trend and its effects.

As for the whole rental market thing - that's great for me! If we move to SA, we plan to lease for a year or so while we decide where we want to be, so yay for more rentals available! However, I sympathize with those homeowners who find the glut of rentals bad for their property values. Just like with the California example, a trend that is good for me can be bad for others. That's not a judgement on either group - just the reality of the market. I won't take it personally if the native Texans want to moan about all these renters messing with their house values in the neighborhood. I understand their concern.
Perfectly stated!

Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Default Hip Hip Hooray

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyApxr View Post
Amen to that! We may be coming with money from the sell of our house but most of that will be set aside for retirement and we will live as simply there as we do in California. Heck, I never pay full price for anything if I can help it. LOL

Let's hear it for frugality! I love saving money. It's such a natural high .

Last edited by Jaded; 08-29-2006 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-29-2006, 10:21 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Some of the less enlightened here gripe about the state being taken over by Hispanics,but it is begining to look like the immigrants from CA may give them a run for the money.I'm rooting for the Hispanics.I enjoy the culture they bring.
I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY did not want to start hashing this again. Lifer and I have kissed and made up. Please refer to my post to him which stated that I DO understand his point, regarding the housing problems. I never disputed it. I've ALWAYS understood his point. But unless someone can show me some stats that physically states that it is Californians causing Texas' housing problems, then I will continue to believe it is the influx of people from many different places and the greedy developers and investors. Sure we add to it, but it is not just us. I think the word started spreading and the tale got just a little bigger and bigger until it turned into "The Californians are doing it!"

It was the above quote that got this all going. It's not what I would call a "slur", but what is this..."I'm rooting for the Hispanics. I enjoy the culture they bring"? It is a stone put down. It really says that we are not wanted here. We're even being touted as "immigrants". We are transplants. Immigrants come from a different country.

There are people coming with their bucks from New York, Florida, Nevada, Arizona, and Massachusettes, and New Jersey, and Conneticuit...all who are making nice big profits on their homes. It's not just California. What about retirees who have sold their already paid for homes, many, many of whom are relocating to Texas, instead of Arizona...because the price of homes in Arizona skyrocketed? They can't afford it in Arizona, anymore, so Texas is the next best place. They are retiring to Texas from all over the US, just as they did to Arizona. That is why so many of the real estate companies are touting "great place to build your retirement home". "great place for retirement." That is much of what I am seeing, in my search for a piece of land. The retired/retiring boomers, who have sold their homes and moving to Texas from all over...not just California, are contributing much. As for me...yes, I will build a nice home, but a chunk of my money is going right into the bank, to live off of, along with my pension. I won't be selling my home and moving to Texas for a few years, yet. By that time, I'll get enough from the sale to build and also put some aside. I do not intend to spend my whole chunk on my house....ALTHOUGH I will certainly build a very nice one. No different than the native Texans that are building and buying multimillion dollar homes, which I would NEVER be able to afford. I also went on a real estate site and there was a section for "wanted". I opened it up and all of these people from Texas had "wants" in there for hundreds of acres of land. We just want a few acres. We are certainly not purchasing hundreds, even thousands of acres, at a pop. It aint just us.

Now, so that the hashin doesn't start up again...this will be my last post on the subject

Last edited by texasdreamin; 08-29-2006 at 10:51 PM..

Old 08-30-2006, 06:30 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
Quote:
It is a stone put down. It really says that we are not wanted here.
Not at all.It means exactly what it said,that if TX is going to be changed by the growing population of people,I would prefer,and root for,the laid back Hispanic culture rather than the CA lifestyle that so many Calfornians themselves deplore and cite as another reason for leaving CA and moving to TX.But some of them bring it with them and complain that TX is not CA.It is those that I root against.Please start accepting people's posts as they write them and quit trying to mindread your own interpretation into them.I stand 100 % behind what I wrote,if you leave it as I wrote it.I prefer the Hispanic culture taking over TX as opposed to the CA culture as lived there.That is what I said,nothing more and nothing less.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Gee, if you like the Hispanic culture so much, you may want to consider moving to California!!! We are INUNDATED with Hispanic culture!!!

Now, not being rude here, but I worked my a-ss off just like everybody else in this country and you know what? I'm gonna live wherever the hell I wanna live. If people don't like it, can't accept it, whatever - I'm still gonna move wherever I want to live and buy whatever I wanna buy. Get over it.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:50 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times
I KNOW, I KNOW...I said I wasn't going to discuss it any further...but I have to say this:

Lifer, one of my degrees is in Psychology. I am trained to understand people, their actions, expressions, words, body language, etc. I am trained to analyze and diagram the spoken/written word and sentences. I am trained to "see" inside of people. I understand people. You stated that the quote I posted meant EXACTLY what it said. This is part of what you stated:

"It means exactly what it said,that if TX is going to be changed by the growing population of people,I would prefer,and root for,the laid back Hispanic culture rather than the CA lifestyle that so many Calfornians themselves deplore and cite as another reason for leaving CA and moving to TX.But some of them bring it with them and complain that TX is not CA.It is those that I root against."

Is that really EXACTLY what that quote said? Show me where, in that quote, you wrote that. EXACTLY. What I quoted you as saying did not mention any of the above. You then went on to state:

"Please start accepting people's posts as they write them and quit trying to mindread your own interpretation into them."

I read the statement EXACTLY as you wrote it. I...understood your words, just as you wrote them. I'm just confused as to why you don't. It didn't sound like you were saying anything about attitudes. It basically sounded like you were saying that people who really are not informed about just who is taking over the state of Texas are griping about the Hispanics being the ones who are taking over the state; however, you seem to think Californians are right up there with them, and if you had your choice, you would rather the Hispanics be the ones who dominate because you like the culture that they bring with them...duh...California is full of Hispanics. I'm sure MANY of them could be relocating to Texas...but they are still Californian. The quote says nothing about their attitudes.

My point is...if you want someone to understand what you are saying, then you need to clarify that. You are making statements and then saying that I am not reading them correctly, then you go on to tell me what your statment meant. Why not just write what you meant in the first place? There would be a lot less confusion.

Evidently the Californians who are relocating to Texas to try and get away from the attitudes and lifestyle you deplore, so much, are not many of the ones with the attitudes and lifestyles you do not like.

Lastly...can you tell me what the difference is between a Californian and a Hispanic? I'm Hispanic AND I'm Californian. Oh no! What if I have the Californian attitude and I'm Hispanic too! Oh my gosh I don't know who I am.

Twink...I'm with you!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,634 times
And let this be the end of the arguing... please.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:50 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
Quote:
Lastly...can you tell me what the difference is between a Californian and a Hispanic? I'm Hispanic AND I'm Californian.
texasdreaming ( and twinkletoes),for all of your degrees,you seem to lack the ability to properly process the English language,or simply prefer to create things to be offended over.(Mull that possibility over with your psychology degree).The key to my point is contained in a word you keep ignoring...LIFESTYLE.Do you get it?I have said,very plainly,that I much prefer the laid back Hispanic culture,or LIFESTYLE,over the California LIFESTYLE.Not that I prefer Hispanics over Californians,but their LIFESTYLE.Do I need to keep putting the key word in caps to make it plain,or have you got it yet?I could care less if you are Hispanic,Californian, or Martian.It is the LIFESTYLE that I am talking about.If you want to come to Texas and adopt the Texas lifestyle,then welcome.If you want to drag your SoCal culture here and then complain that TX isn't like CA then I wish you would stay there.And if I have to choose TX being more like the Hispanic LIFESTYLE than the SoCal LIFESTYLE,then I will root for the Hispanic LIFESTYLE to win the day.

Got it?

Old 08-30-2006, 06:04 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Nope dude, you said CULTURE. You didn't say lifestyle in your original post. BTW, what kind of a degree do you have? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio