U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:42 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,347,445 times

Advertisements

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c1/Freiheitsstatue_NYC_full.jpg/290px-Freiheitsstatue_NYC_full.jpg (broken link)

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Old 08-26-2006, 10:47 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,198,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
Sam, I don't think RCL is meaning everyone. I think RCL is meaning "many". And... by government assistance, I am not talking about welfare. I am talking about low cost business loans and home buying assistance, etc. Welfare was not even on my mind. There are a lot of immigrants who come here and work hard and prosper. My ex's parents, also from the phillipines, came here and worked hard and bought 12 acres to farm. Can you imagine what that 12 acres is worth, today, here in California? They had 13 kids.

Don't take the statement literally or be offended by it. It is not speaking of ALL immigrants. You and your family did well and that is to be commended.
RCL qualifies almost all his statements along the lines of "...not meant to be insulting...". I actually understand what/how/why he wrote what he did (sorry RCL - not sure if you're male/female). I wasn't at all offended.

But because I know there are people around the board who DO take things literally, I just wanted to illustrate that not everyone comes to America under the circumstances described. In fact, most Filipinos who come to America these days were actually quite well-off in the Philippines. I've never actually met an immigrant Filipino who was poor (as in living in squalor) in the Philippines. They would not be able to afford the fare to get here. **

I didn't mention welfare but since you brought it up, I remember several years ago when I was on summer break from college, I heard my Dad pick up the phone. "Good morning...yes...no...yes...NO! We're not on welfare!" That woke me up! I asked my Dad who that was & apparently we were on a call list for some welfare survey because our surname is Spanish. It was kind of funny but at the same time, kind of annoying that an assumption was made about us simply because of our surname.

**actually I take that back. I have met people from my generation who went to college in the Philippines despite their poor backgrounds, immigrated and then brought over their parents...so yes...they were quite poor.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 08-26-2006 at 11:25 PM..

Old 08-27-2006, 02:32 AM
RCL

123 posts, read 635,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
Sam, I don't think RCL is meaning everyone. I think RCL is meaning "many". And... by government assistance, I am not talking about welfare. I am talking about low cost business loans and home buying assistance, etc. Welfare was not even on my mind. There are a lot of immigrants who come here and work hard and prosper. My ex's parents, also from the phillipines, came here and worked hard and bought 12 acres to farm. Can you imagine what that 12 acres is worth, today, here in California? They had 13 kids.

Don't take the statement literally or be offended by it. It is not speaking of ALL immigrants. You and your family did well and that is to be commended.
I agree, and I tried to mention in my post that it was a simplistic generalized observation. No offense or insult was meant to anyone.

Last edited by RCL; 08-27-2006 at 03:03 AM..

Old 08-27-2006, 03:03 AM
RCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Unfortunately this is already starting in some areas,and it looks like it is only going to get worse.
It's not just Californians. It's people from all over, including (but not limited to)

FLORIDA
NEW YORK
BOSTON
CHICAGO
MINNESOTA
NEW JERSEY

These places have all seen drastic appreciation over the past few years and people are cashing out and going elsewhere.

I'm not one of them because I was wiped out financially in an unfortunate disability (long story) and had lots of bills to pay after I sold my place. I can empathize with the person who may be in a similar financial predicament from having gone through a divorce. Oh well, that's life. All our choices are half-chance...we do the best we can...work with the hand we're dealt...and try to move forward without regret.

But, I can't blame others for wanting to take advantage of their investments and make a better life for their family. You'd do the same if you were in their position...I know I would.

I think the biggest problem in real estate today is the speculators who are going into areas and buying new homes with a few thousand down and holding the contract while the place is being built, then flipping it several months later for a 50-100 Grand profit. All they are doing is creating an artificial shortage (demand). Market makers in the stock market do this all day long, that's how they take advantage of other traders (thereby "making a market")...but that's another subject. When you're dealing with housing, there is already an existing market so one doesn't need to be made. I think there ought to be some sort of laws/legislation dealing with this when it comes to housing, because if it continues it's only going to cause more problems.

Before I left CA, I heard an ad on the radio for a local investment company in SF (licensed and bonded financial planners) and they were soliciting people who wanted to invest anywhere from 5K-50K with them and then this company was going into the Portland, Oregon market (and others) and investing in pre-construction homes then reselling them at a high profit 6-12 months later when the homes were finished. Now, I'm the first one to say that it's a good thing to buy low and sell high, but not when you are messing with people's basic need for housing and indirectly hurting others to make yourself rich. It's one thing to go and buy distressed properties when the owner wants to sell low, or buy foreclosures and fix them up, but specu-vesting and playing the housing market like the stock market is just plain criminal as far as I'm concerned. It may be legal, but that doesn't mean it's ethical.

Capitalism is a good thing...but unfortunately, it's also its own worst enemy.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:15 AM
RCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Yeah, but remember that statue was made in FRANCE by the FRENCH.

(And just look at what a quandary they are in now. Their economy is in the dumper and they have to pass laws to try and preserve their own culture because they've let in so many "tempest-tost, homeless, tired, poor, huddled...masses...of wretched refuse from teeming shores...")

Old 08-27-2006, 06:26 AM

3,823 posts, read 13,347,445 times
Default Engraved on base of Statue of Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCL View Post
Yeah, but remember that statue was made in FRANCE by the FRENCH...
It is true the French made and donated the Statue of Liberty to the United States. However, it was an American (Emma Lazarus) who wrote the sonnet The New Colossus that I quoted.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:29 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,765,172 times
Quote:
But I will admit that I am gonna try my darndest NOT to say "y'all".
like sam said you can't help it,it just happens
Quote:
Hah! I'm tellin' ya - "y'all" creeps in like you wouldn't believe!

Old 08-27-2006, 06:36 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,765,172 times
BTW,not sure when I picked up my y'all but picked it up in south carolina..lol

Old 08-27-2006, 07:17 AM

23 posts, read 87,750 times
Well, Bill and I are leaving CA because retiring here is not an option and he is looking to retire in 10 years or so. There is no way we can pay off our house before then and the school system in CA sucks and we still have our 3rd grader to think about. I am not looking to live high on the hog in SA but I do want to know that we can actually still live after retirement! LOL

Old 08-27-2006, 10:02 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,550,997 times
Quote:
It's not just Californians. It's people from all over, including (but not limited to)

FLORIDA
NEW YORK
BOSTON
CHICAGO
MINNESOTA
NEW JERSEY
It is kind of funny that you make this comment.I was just wondering last night why we don't see many people from NY moving down here.I don't ever recall seeing a post from a NY'er ranting about being fed up with NY and moving to TX.By far most of the influx seems to be disgruntled CA's.Some of the less enlightened here gripe about the state being taken over by Hispanics,but it is begining to look like the immigrants from CA may give them a run for the money.I'm rooting for the Hispanics.I enjoy the culture they bring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or